• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EDIT

My new psu is making a small noise. Let me explain; its not the psu itself its the fan in the psu. Its making a low whirring noise like the motor in the fan i can hear it, its merely an annoyance rather than a problem. I can hear the fan spin noise and this other noise at the same time. The fan works fine otherwise.

Its annoying i never got a problem with my old psu.

I used a small rubber thing to stop the fan from spinning when i booted up my system, i needed to know if the fan or the psu was the culprit i gathered only way was to stop it spinning for a few seconds.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if i should RMA it as a broken fan or something or just put up with it.

I see SPY!

System Name ಠ_ಠ SERIOUS BOX ಠ_ಠ
Processor C2D e7200 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro
Cooling Intel stock cooling
Memory 2x2Gb Exceleram(1066mhz, 1.8V)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4850 512mb
Storage SATA2 WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Display(s) Asus VW222U (22")
Case generic case
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply Corsair TX-650W
Software Windows 7 64
My new psu is making a small noise. Let me explain; its not the psu itself its the fan in the psu. Its making a low whirring noise like the motor in the fan i can hear it, its merely an annoyance rather than a problem. I can hear the fan spin noise and this other noise at the same time. The fan works fine otherwise.

Its annoying i never got a problem with my old psu.

I used a small rubber thing to stop the fan from spinning when i booted up my system, i needed to know if the fan or the psu was the culprit i gathered only way was to stop it spinning for a few seconds.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if i should RMA it as a broken fan or something or just put up with it.

I've got that PSU. No noises at all :ohwell:

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
RMA it. It's just going to get worse as the bearing wears out more.

Processor AMD FX 8350 Black Edition @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Samsung Green 16GB 30nm 1600Mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD 7950 DD 3GB @ 850/5000Mhz
Storage 240GB Intel 520 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" QHD
Case Fractal Design R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Raptor M40
Keyboard Corsair Raptor K50
Software Windows 10 Pro
what about oiling the fans? but just RMA first coz youll loose it if opened

Yeah i was thinking id rather not void the warranty.

I think i send it back to scan.co.uk rather than corsair, i think i deal with the retailer for returns but i will look up on that. Also think that dealing with corsair directly you need to ship to mainland Europe which would cost more.

Good advice Erocker i never thought about long term the fan getting worse.

EDIT: Sent an email to the e-tailer they do deal with warranty. Just explained that i can hear both the fan spin noise and this other noise which i think is due to the motor, enquiring about returns RMA warranty blah blah.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but it is appropriate to reply here.

I changed my exhaust case fan today and i noticed the PSU clicking again. Pretty sure there is a 5 year warranty on this PSU so i should just RMA this one? Its the replacement for the one i talked about in the original post.

I find it funny that after 200 odd days the problem seems to be back, its been here a while i just never realised it was the PSU doing it again until now. Obviously the fans they used where just a crap batch.

Still using the TX650w but just noticed they have replaced those with the TX V2.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I've had 2 of that exact same model, one that I used for over 3 years and it never started making any unusual noises. Sounds like you are just getting the worst possible scenario. Send it back to Corsair and get another replacement :D

Yeah its a really stable psu its just a sound problem, i think i will need to message Scan.co.uk first as i really dont know if this is a bad enough problem to be covered by warranty. Last time i just said what erocker mentioned about it being a possible faulty fan, i could just say its the same problem again which it could actually be i guess.

EDIT: Just waiting for a reply now so hopefully i can send it away. Cant wait to re route the cables in the case again :shadedshu

Last edited: