• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Launches a 4-in-1 Product Delicacy for the SFF Community

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
EK, the premium liquid cooling gear manufacturer, is releasing a unique pump-reservoir-water block combo for Intel 12th Gen Core CPUs and LGA 1700 socket-based motherboards. It features the latest socket-specific EK-Quantum Velocity² cooling engine, while the CPU water block has an integrated DDC 4.2 PWM pump that is cooled by the metal part of the water block acting as a heatsink. The combo is the perfect companion for ITX (SFF) builds where space for a dedicated pump and reservoir is an issue. This product effectively combined four different products into a single small enclosure for ultimate space-saving.

The product combines a Velocity² CPU water block, a genuine DDC 4.2 PWM pump with a reservoir, and a DDC heatsink. All this is contained in an assembly significantly smaller than the sum of its parts. A total of four products in a footprint of a hefty CPU water block that fits perfectly. EK-Quantum Velocity² series CPU water blocks embed the next-generation cooling engine. They use a specific combination of mounting pressure and coldplate geometry tailored for the IHS and die layout of Intel LGA 1700 socket processors. Low hydraulic flow restriction enables these products to be used in setups with weaker water pumps or lower pump speeds for added silent operation while still being able to easily achieve top performance. The lathe-turned coldplate is made with precision to cover the IHS effectively and put pressure on the die area.

With this water block, you will not require a dedicated reservoir, as it incorporates a small reservoir to ease the filling process and ensure the water-lubricated DDC pump always has sufficient coolant not to run dry. It has two G1/4" fill ports to account for both vertical and horizontal motherboard mounting and two sets of inlets and outlets.

The coldplate is manufactured out of the highest-grade, 99.99%-pure electrolytic copper, machined with precision for the best possible contact and heat transfer, and is further nickel-plated. The middle section is made of glass-like cast acrylic that is CNC-machined. On top of it stands the DDC pump with the block top made of CNC-machined nickel-plated brass.

Since DDC pumps benefit from additional cooling to ensure longer life and fewer issues, the nickel-plated brass top is used as a heatsink for the pump housing, with the heat being transferred away from the pump via thermal pads. The brass top features two fill ports, while the two sets of G1/4" inlets and outlets are located on the side of the block made of durable black acetal.

EK-Quantum Velocity² Patent-pending Mounting
EK-Exact Mount is a patent-pending mounting system designed and engineered by EK in the search for an easy-to-use and aesthetically pleasing mounting mechanism. It comprises only three pieces - the backplate, mounting screws, and the water block itself. It's screwed in from the back, allowing for a seamless and clean front aesthetic without any screws disrupting the harmony of shape. The system uses pre-tensioned springs concealed in the water block, so you can finish the installation and get the exact mounting pressure needed with just a few turns of the thumb nuts.

Compatibility
New EK-Quantum Velocity² 1700 CPU water blocks are socket-specific, compatible only with Intel LGA1700 sockets and Alder Lake CPUs.

D-RGB Compatibility
This product is compatible with all popular addressable-RGB sync technologies from all major motherboard manufacturers. The arrow marking on the 3-pin D-RGB LED connector is to be aligned with the +5V marking on the D-RGB header. The block's middle section is made of glass-like acrylic and lit with 14 addressable LEDs.

Availability and Pricing
The EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB - 1700 Nickel + Plexi combo water blocks are made in Slovenia, Europe, and are available for pre-order through the EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network. The Nickel + Plexi model is expected to start shipping in late October 2022. The table below shows the manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) with VAT included.

MSRP: 329.90€, including VAT.

For more information, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nice to see more actors coming to market with solutions like this, but I still prefer my Modultra Lobo. From what I can tell it's lower profile, and you get the freedom to choose your own pump. It'll be interesting to see how this performs though - judging by the layout I assume it has a reversed flow direction (with the pump sucking water out through the microfins), which has rather different flow characteristics and will affect how well the cold plate performs.

Nice to see more actors coming to market with solutions like this, but I still prefer my Modultra Lobo. From what I can tell it's lower profile, and you get the freedom to choose your own pump. It'll be interesting to see how this performs though - judging by the layout I assume it has a reversed flow direction (with the pump sucking water out through the microfins), which has rather different flow characteristics and will affect how well the cold plate performs.
Advantage (and part of the reason for the size delta) for the EK is that it incorporates a small reservoir. If they would sell it without the pump that would be ideal though, since it should just be a standard DDC.

The Lobo is great but potentially pricier than the EK or the Alphacool Eisbaer, but the one thing the EK has over both is the option for AIO-esque, side-mounted G-1/4 fittings (cleaner front profile, IMO). EK and Alphacool's pump/block combo do have a micro-reservoir advantage, which minimizes the need for an external res, but the LOBO definitely has the height advantage of the 3 (Eisbaer being pretty tall).

I do hope to see EK produce an AMD variant for AM4/AM5 at least, and for Modultra to maybe have a variant with a micro-res attached.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Advantage (and part of the reason for the size delta) for the EK is that it incorporates a small reservoir. If they would sell it without the pump that would be ideal though, since it should just be a standard DDC.
That reservoir is going to be of minimal use though - as it's connected directly to the pump inlet it'll be too close to catch any bubbles, which is the main purpose of a res. I just use one of those tiny 3-port flow indicators with the rotor removed and some EK foam in it, works beautifully both for filling and bleeding.

There's also a Barrow unit that came out a couple of years ago that already does this.
The Lobo is great but potentially pricier than the EK or the Alphacool Eisbaer,
Only if shipping is extremely expensive - this EK easily costs more than a LOBO+ a good DDC pump. I know Modultra's EU shipping is expensive though.
but the one thing the EK has over both is the option for AIO-esque, side-mounted G-1/4 fittings (cleaner front profile, IMO)
That's true, but it's also inherently inflexible, as the ports are fixed to one side, when you can get more flexibility and similar tube directions with just some 90° fittings on the Lobo. It won't look as clean, but IMO it has a much more appealing design than this shiny monolith.
EK and Alphacool's pump/block combo do have a micro-reservoir advantage, which minimizes the need for an external res, but the LOBO definitely has the height advantage of the 3 (Eisbaer being pretty tall).
I don't consider the Eisbaer to be in the same class, as it doesn't use a DDC but one of their low power (AIO class) DC-LT pumps. It's still a very good pump, just not DDC class. And as I said above, that res is going to be of minimal use.
I do hope to see EK produce an AMD variant for AM4/AM5 at least, and for Modultra to maybe have a variant with a micro-res attached.
There have been plenty of discussions of that on the smallformfactor.net forums, and AFAIK they're exploring the concept - but the problem is how this inevitably makes the unit taller and restricts port placements. In most cases, even ultra-compact SFF, it's better to use some form of micro res (like my flow indicator mentioned above) instead, especially as a tiny res this close to the pump inevitably leads to recirculation of air and bleeding issues.

Jolly

I just use one of those tiny 3-port flow indicators with the rotor removed and some EK foam in it, works beautifully both for filling and bleeding.
Can you describe this a bit more or link a photo, I'm having a hard time visualizing/understanding how this would help with bleeding a loop.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can you describe this a bit more or link a photo, I'm having a hard time visualizing/understanding how this would help with bleeding a loop.
You can see it at the top of this shot I took right after installing my LOBO:

There's a third port on top of that "micro res" that I use for filling and bleeding (it's an EK Quantum flow indicator - I'd recommend finding a cheaper no-name one with thinner acrylic, as this has a very small internal volume for its size, and is expensive for what ti is), and it sits at the very top of the loop, so it's an excellent bubble catcher. Plus the top cover of the Meshlicious lifts right off, so it's very easily accessible too. Having the "res" on the pump would be a nightmare for bleeding, as there's no way to have that port at the top of the loop no matter what you do (there'd always be a fitting or tube that's higher up), and even capping it after filling would either trap air inside or cause a leak, as again, there's no way of making that the highest point of the loop. There are obviously ways around this, but I don't see it as very practical in a real world use case.