• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Launches Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 and 3090 Backplates

EK, is launching separate backplates for the Special Edition high-performance GPU water blocks that were made for the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Founders Edition graphics cards. The EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 and 3090 Backplates are available stand-alone due to many requests by users who wanted to make their blocks in one color instead of having a contrasting silver backplate on a black version of the water block and vice-versa.

This backplate provides additional passive cooling for the GPU core and the backside of the printed circuit board VRM section. Due to the small size of the card and the block itself, the ribbed backplate boasts an increased surface area for additional passive cooling power. It comes in anodized aluminium with a silver or black finish. The silver version is intended for the silver EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 water block, to make it an all-around silver enclosure, just as the black backplate is intended for the black EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 water block. By replacing the stock backplate with one of a different color, you get a truly monochromatic look.

This backplate provides additional passive cooling for the GPU core, the rear-mounted VRAM, and the backside of the printed circuit board VRM section. The ribbed backplate offers an increased surface area for additional passive cooling power to compensate for the small size of the card and block itself. This is a hybrid backplate that combines active and passive cooling. The "active" cooling part is achieved through a section of the backplate contacting the coldplate, which is then directly cooled by the liquid.

It comes in anodized aluminium with a silver or black finish. The silver version is intended for the silver version of the EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3090 water block, to make it an all-around silver enclosure, just as the black backplate is intended for the black version of the EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3090 water block. By replacing the stock backplate with one of different color, you get a truly monochromatic look.

Availability and Pricing

The EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 and 3090 Backplates are made in Slovenia, Europe, and are available for order through the EK Webshop and dedicated reseller network.

• EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 Backplate - Black | 49.90€
  • EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 Backplate - Silver | 54.90€
  • EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3090 Backplate - Black | 54.90€
  • EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3090 Backplate - Silver | 59.90€

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Yrd

Jesus, the 3090 fe block costs $380 already. I didnt know it didnt have the backplate. Now you need another $60 for that.

I just bought an optimuspc reservoir and will probably buy a cpu block from them when they come back in stock. I thought I was over spending on that res. But it's nothing compared to ek's pricing on these blocks.

System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
Jesus, the 3090 fe block costs $380 already. I didnt know it didnt have the backplate. Now you need another $60 for that.

I just bought an optimuspc reservoir and will probably buy a cpu block from them when they come back in stock. I thought I was over spending on that res. But it's nothing compared to ek's pricing on these blocks.
The Block for the FE from EKWB does include a backplate! Only the included backplate has the opposite color (silver on the black version and vice versa). So to get a fully monochromatic look, you now can buy the backplate in the color of your block as well.
But you're right, those prices are insane! On the other hand, it does look nice (allthough would be even nicer if they removed the plexi window, I hate plexi on cooling components). Let's hope they can cope with the immense heat coming from those RAM chips on the back with that backlplate.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
liquid cooling vaporware....hmmm

Processor i5 3570K @ 5GHz (1.32V) - de-lid
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extrem 4
Cooling Prolimatech Genesis (3x Thermalright TY-141 PWM) - direct die
Memory 2x 4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G (Alpenföhn Peter + 2x Noctua NF-A12) @1547 Mhz Core / 2000 MHz Mem
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 / 4 TB Seagate - BarraCuda
Case IT-9001 Smasher -modified with a 140mm top exhaust
Audio Device(s) AKG K240 Studio
Power Supply be quiet! E9 Straight Power 600W
The Block for the FE from EKWB does include a backplate! Only the included backplate has the opposite color (silver on the black version and vice versa). So to get a fully monochromatic look, you now can buy the backplate in the color of your block as well.
But you're right, those prices are insane! On the other hand, it does look nice (allthough would be even nicer if they removed the plexi window, I hate plexi on cooling components). Let's hope they can cope with the immense heat coming from those RAM chips on the back with that backlplate.

Well, it is EK's premium block for the 30-series also featuring D-RGB(-tax) as well as connections on the backside of the card, supposedly making it more compatible with small form factor cases.
They use copper, if they really go for high purity (99.99%) it can get quite expensive, further everything is allegedly "CNC-machined without mass-production techniques", in a small production run that would only add to the cost.

The backplate is described as "The aluminum CNC-machined backplate has a ribbed texture in order to increase surface area for additional passive cooling power. The "active" cooling part is achieved through a section of the backplate contacting the coldplate, which is then directly cooled by the liquid."
How much of that is marketing BS is up to you. But given previous statements from EK towards manufacturing apply here as well, it won't be on the cheap side of things.

EK does manufacture in Slovenia thou, which gives them a bit of an edge in cost of machine hours and labour compared to let's say Alphacool, who manufacture in Germany. Still they manage to offer blocks for nearly half the price for the 30-series.

In the end it is hard to say, since material quality and manufacturing technique alone can vary wildly in cost here.

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
The point is, I ordered my 3090 FE Special Edition block from them back in January. Back then I would've loved to get a silver block with a silver backplate. That was not possible. They are shipping my block as of now, just one day later they announce that you can have a different backplate with it. Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Yrd

I like the block but I was put off by the price. I never even tried to find it. I bought the hideous bitspower block because it was easy to obtain and cheap. I'm going to be putting my stuff together today. Reservoir was just delivered. Had to buy B-stock because that was also impossible to obtain.

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
These really should be an option to choose along with the block at the time of checkout. You're already spending $330 on a 3090 block, yet you would have to spend an additional $60 to get it color matched with the back plate, and then also end up with a 2nd back plate sitting in a closet unused. It's not only wasteful from a $$ perspective, but also a material perspective. Maybe they will offer that option at some point in the future.

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
These really should be an option to choose along with the block at the time of checkout. You're already spending $330 on a 3090 block, yet you would have to spend an additional $60 to get it color matched with the back plate, and then also end up with a 2nd back plate sitting in a closet unused. It's not only wasteful from a $$ perspective, but also a material perspective. Maybe they will offer that option at some point in the future.
Maybe, but Nvidia will not sell those FE cards for long I guess. So this makes the audience for this even smaller in a few month.

The point is, I ordered my 3090 FE Special Edition block from them back in January. Back then I would've loved to get a silver block with a silver backplate. That was not possible. They are shipping my block as of now, just one day later they announce that you can have a different backplate with it. Coincidence? :rolleyes:
Yeah I know the pain.

EK seems couldn't care less about what customer may want.

For starters there are no backplanes with blocks when every major player in the industry adds it in the box.

I remember few years back enquiring about dual D5 Revo tops availability without pumps (always using Vario not PWM).

EK - Sorry we don't sell without pumps and it'll be always sold with pumps.
Me - OK, I'll do it with other top then

After that exchange perhaps 2 weeks has passed... EK starts to sell dual D5 Revo top without pumps.

That way I know they treat customers as brainless [*put here something colorful*], unless some youtuber ask them to do something just for them. Then they get all giddy and sweet. I had that experience too and compared that to situation when Linus asked them for certain item and EK delivered in couple weeks. I got the response - sorry, we have no time to waste with request like this. Seems like for EK only certain kind of money is acceptable. No matter Alphacool delivered awesome custom product (not CPU/VGA block) which I was more than happy to pay for.

That day I said F EK.