• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK-Meltemi 120ER Fan

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
How much so? Can you post any recorded performance metrics for this?

It would be interesting to see how this fan compares to the Vardar and other 25mm thick fans when they are all using shrouds.

The results are right above that paragraph. I only tested the Meltemi with shrouds because it was just direly in need of one, when used in push, as opposed to the others.

Ah, I didn't look closely enough at the graphs. Thank you for responding.

The Meltemi really did seem to benefit quite a bit with the added space from the shroud. Do you think this fan could possibly outperform other fans, perf/noise wise, when they are all using shrouds?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Ah, I didn't look closely enough at the graphs. Thank you for responding.

The Meltemi really did seem to benefit quite a bit with the added space from the shroud. Do you think this fan could possibly outperform other fans, perf/noise wise, when they are all using shrouds?

I doubt it, since there is an inherent change relative to the EK-Vardar fans that also have a fairly large motor but perform better. But I can't be sure without testing all of the fans, which isn't happening anytime.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
A few things I wish these reviews had are...

Fin density tests... 8 FPI 25-30mm thick will perform wildly different than a 20 FPI one, let alone one that's thicker.

Also pull tests, fans mounted in pull only config are actually better for performance than push only, and get a good chunk of the boost of push/pull.

It's information that I and others would find helpful. A thick and fast fan will bias to higher performance on dense fin configurations where thinner lower speed fans will actually almost fail to move air.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
A few things I wish these reviews had are...

Fin density tests... 8 FPI 25-30mm thick will perform wildly different than a 20 FPI one, let alone one that's thicker.

Also pull tests, fans mounted in pull only config are actually better for performance than push only, and get a good chunk of the boost of push/pull.

It's information that I and others would find helpful. A thick and fast fan will bias to higher performance on dense fin configurations where thinner lower speed fans will actually almost fail to move air.

Unfortunately that all takes time that is hard to find, so hopefully you can find that info elsewhere.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Unfortunately that all takes time that is hard to find, so hopefully you can find that info elsewhere.

I hear you, time is a monster and it's a very limited resource. I really do appreciate how thorough your reviews are. Sadly I can't seem to find any still active reviewers who test both or either.

I would really appreciate if you could test pull through performance, if it's possible. It also lessens the impact of the big hub. Speaking as someone who has GT-Black 1850s.

Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace X570
Cooling Custom open loop with three 360mm radiators
Memory 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Two Water cooled EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpins with Optimus water blocks
Storage Sabrent PCIE 4.0 1TB NVMe, XPG SX8100 4TB NVMe, Micron 1100 2TB, and Hitachi Deskstar NAS 8TB
Display(s) Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 and LG 27UD68-W 4K
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Power Supply BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/64094981
According to EKWB, the fans were designed for use in pull mode. The product page also says i the big yellow box, "For the best performance EK recommends using the EK-Meltemi 120ER in pull mode!"

I'm not sure that testing them in push mode really shows their real world performance.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
According to EKWB, the fans were designed for use in pull mode. The product page also says i the big yellow box, "For the best performance EK recommends using the EK-Meltemi 120ER in pull mode!"

I'm not sure that testing them in push mode really shows their real world performance.

Haha I had a long discussion with EK about that, and they added in the note after the discussion. They have an invite for me to come visit their HQ to further talk about the fan and other test results, but that might have to wait for another time :)

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
It's very hard to build better fans with performance visibly better then best models on market.
CORSAIR ML120 Pro, Gentle Typhoon 2150 and Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM.
Even if someone want to do that need to test with little more expensive alloys, materials then manufacturers are ready to offer to customers.

It's extremely hard to satisfied customers better with low noise and good performance then Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM can on 1700RPM.
Now that become like sprint race on 100m.