• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Unveils Special Edition Vector Water Blocks for NVIDIA RTX 3080 FE Graphics Cards

EK, is proud to finally unveil its Special Edition high-performance GPU water blocks for the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition graphics card. The EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 D-RGB comes in two versions - Silver and Black, both featuring stark contrasts between the aluminium outer shell and backplate, as well as the Plexi window and terminal illuminated with addressable D-RGB LEDs. Both water blocks come with two types of connection terminals, offering unrivaled versatility. The performance is one of the key elements of the design, which is why this block features a 30% larger fin area compared to other water blocks from the Vector family.

The EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 D-RGB water block enclosure is the most complex GPU cooling solution developed by EK to date. The small form factor and unique shape of the RTX 3080 Founders Edition PCB presented a rare engineering challenge. The water block is purpose-designed with an extremely thick copper base for high-performance, allowing it to clear all components of the densely-packed PCB and adding more heat removal capacity in the process. The cooling engine used in this water block is the largest EK has built to date, having roughly 30% more surface area than the rest of the existing Vector series water blocks.

Current Compatibility List for EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition

A Testament To the Build Quality

Like the Magnitude CPU water block, the entirety of this water block is CNC-machined without mass-production techniques. The block's base is milled out of a 12 mm thick piece of pure electrolytic copper sourced from Europe, which is then nickel-plated, while its top is CNC-machined out of a glass-like cast Acrylic material.

The external enclosure, which is not in any contact with the coolant, is machined out of a 20 mm thick solid piece of aluminium, which is afterward anodized into black or gray color, depending on the model. The included single-slot I/O shield is supplied with special screws for attaching it to the aluminium enclosure in order to even out the entire water block's weight distribution. The watertight sealing is ensured by high-quality EPDM O-rings, while brass standoffs are already pre-installed and allow for a safe and easy installation procedure.

Special Terminal Design

The water block is delivered with a set of connection terminals, allowing users to swap them out based on their needs. One terminal has two direct G1/4" ports on the side, while the other one is more conventional, having four G1/4" ports going through it.

The new design allows terminals to be directly attached to the copper cold plate of the GPU water block, making it more rigid and reducing the chances of damage. The terminal is neatly located between two prongs on the PCB, utilizing minimal space. This kind of design allows for incredible versatility, especially for Small Form Factor builds, and of course, more interesting aesthetics.

Cooling Engine

This Special Edition Vector water block directly cools the GPU, VRAM, and the VRM (voltage regulation module) as cooling liquid is channeled right over these critical areas. The water block is in contact with MOSFETs and chokes to maximize cooling and minimize the chances of unwanted coil whine. The flow paths are also optimized to reduce hydrodynamic instabilities and vortexing (dead spots) inside of them.

The integrated Open Split-Flow cooling engine design proved to be a superior solution for GPU water blocks. It is characterized by low hydraulic flow restriction, meaning it can be used with weaker water pumps or pumps running on low-speed settings and still achieve top performance.

The jet plate and fin structure geometry are optimized to provide even flow distribution with minimal losses and optimal performance when used in any given coolant flow orientation. Fin array is populated by 31 microfins with 0.6 mm wide microchannels that provide exceptional cooling performance without unnecessary flow restrictions or clogging hazards.

Exclusive Founders Edition Backplate

This water block comes with an included backplate that makes sure the entire graphics card is enclosed and not at all visible. It also provides additional passive cooling for the GPU core and backside of the printed circuit board VRM section. Due to the small size of the card and the block itself, the ribbed backplate boasts the increased surface area for additional passive cooling power. It's CNC-machined out of aluminium, which is either black-anodized or nickel-plated, depending on the version of the water block.

D-RGB Lighting on the EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 D-RGB Water Block

This water block boasts a whopping 20 individually addressable D-RGB LEDs that illuminate both the water block's interior and the terminal itself. It is compatible with all popular RGB Sync technologies from major motherboard manufacturers. The arrow marking on the 3-pin D-RGB LED connector is to be aligned with the +5V marking on the D-RGB (addressable) motherboard header.

Availability and Pricing

The EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3080 D-RGB full-cover water blocks are made and assembled in Slovenia, Europe, and are available for pre-order through the EK Webshop and dedicated reseller network. The first batch of water blocks is expected to ship out in early December, with the later orders filling out in the following weeks.

We will be updating the pre-order note in the webshop, depending on how many orders are made, so be fast if you want to be in the first batch. Since the pre-order message in the webshop will be changing, please rely only on the estimated date you will receive once you place your order.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Sort of reminds me of Watercool's Heatkiller IV waterblocks, but a lot thicker... Although I still think the Heatkiller line looks way better, and according to (unfortunately, now defunct) websites like thermalbench, heatkiller performs better.
images.jpeg
HK_IV_2080Ti_Acryl_Ni_1.jpg

Or even aquacomputer's kryos line
images (1).jpeg

Sorry, I'll admit it, while I don't dislike EK, I just don't understand their overwhelming popularity when compared to companies with either much better value (Bykski) or companies with similar pricing and much better performance and quality (Watercool). I think part of it is due to the fact that since thr majority of tech tubers and builds on YouTube default to EK, cunsumers newly entering the watercooling market hastily assume that popularity equates to superiority., and therefore rarely consider other options. Again, not saying anything is wrong with EK products, I just think that they don't provide the best value or the best quality /performance depending on which is your paramount prerogative.

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Nearly 300 euro's for a GPU block!?! Jezz..... No EK... Bad EK... What are you doing?!?!

Yrd

Sort of reminds me of Watercool's Heatkiller IV waterblocks, but a lot thicker... Although I still think the Heatkiller line looks way better, and according to (unfortunately, now defunct) websites like thermalbench, heatkiller performs better. View attachment 174841View attachment 174842

View attachment 174843

Sorry, I'll admit it, while I don't dislike EK, I just don't understand their overwhelming popularity when compared to companies with either much better value (Bykski) or companies with similar pricing and much better performance and quality (Watercool). I think part of it is due to the fact that since thr majority of tech tubers and builds on YouTube default to EK, cunsumers newly entering the watercooling market hastily assume that popularity equates to superiority., and therefore rarely consider other options. Again, not saying anything is wrong with EK products, I just think that they don't provide the best value or the best quality /performance depending on which is your paramount prerogative.

I think availability plays as large part in it's popularity.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Sort of reminds me of Watercool's Heatkiller IV waterblocks, but a lot thicker... Although I still think the Heatkiller line looks way better, and according to (unfortunately, now defunct) websites like thermalbench, heatkiller performs better. View attachment 174841View attachment 174842

View attachment 174843

Just FYI, our very own @VSG, who does water cooling reviews here, is the former author of thermalbench.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Ek effectively priced themselves out of my price range a while ago. Thankfully byski and barrow have solid products to fill the gaps.
This block is a chunkster for sure but ehh not in a sexy way. I havent made up my mind as to red or green yet but it isnt going to be wearing ek thats for certain.

I had no idea thermalbench was gone. That truly sucks. I used to check them out on a regular basis. They were one of the few places you could get solid wcing info from.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

View attachment 174843

EK is like the Razer of Watercooling, they spend a large amount of money purely on (imo rather disgustingly) marketing.
To make sure their brand is synonymous with watercooling and it sadly works, welcome to the real world I guess.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
I just don't understand their overwhelming popularity when compared to companies with either much better value (Bykski) or companies with similar pricing and much better performance and quality (Watercool).

It was already once explained to You a few months back, but here:
1 - it's a much older and more established brand compared to Bykski
2 - it's widely available and within just a few days (unlike B, for which a buyer has to wait around 20-30 days, untill shipped, at least here in EU).
3 - blocks are performing really well in both temperatures as well as flow rate/pressure drop
4 - I already owned 3 GPU fullcovers from EK (and some other parts) and never once had I any problems with those, quality is very high
5 - they put a lot of effort into becoming one of the most recognized LC brands
6 - additional support is on a high level: their cooling configurator is really helpful, when looking for a GPU card that can be watercooled by a fullcover (lots of unique PCB layouts makes it hard to find a good card)

Watercool is also a old brand with good products (so is XSPC, AquaComputer etc.), but it's market positioning just shows, that EK is much better in doing business - that's all.

Of course it's not like they're perfect - they also had some mishaps, like the whole CSQ design, or problems with nickel plating back in the day...

D

Deleted member 24505

Very nice but they'll make your ass sore with that price. Love the rear i/o on these, such a great idea. deffo look better than the Heatkiller, though without a proper test how can anyone possibly say the heatkiller performs better

Sorry, I'll admit it, while I don't dislike EK, I just don't understand their overwhelming popularity

Because EK sponsor a lot of people show builds, thereby getting their stuff in everyones face, and making sure they sell more.

Last edited by a moderator:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I had no idea thermalbench was gone. That truly sucks. I used to check them out on a regular basis. They were one of the few places you could get solid wcing info from.
Not gone as much as transfered here. It was much harder to focus on the website and content compared to just the content here, and tbh the various editor tools here combined with the data backup are all making it easier to create more content. Then there's the whole elephant in the room where companies barely send review samples to anyone these days, so giants like TPU make it easier too.

I'll still pay for the hosting and domain mapping for another couple of years at my own dime, as always. But it was always doomed in terms of how much loss to take financially.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
One of the big reasons I wanted an FE version was the craftsmanship that went into it. Anyone who works in engineering should be able to see it.

While I'm not a fan of EK because I feel like they normally make poor quality stuff, these blocks look very well crafted and I'll likely pick one up for my 3090 FE just to have... I might just wave to water cool the FormD T1 I have coming next month.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
That waterblock is beautiful. I really hope they make a custom version for the 3090 FE. May have to jump the Strix 3090 queue if thats the case :love:

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
If anyone is interested I confirmed with an EK rep that the 3090 variant is coming at the end of this month :)