1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EL wire no longer works

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by OnePostWonder, Feb 3, 2012.

1. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to find why this EL wire no longer works, so I opened the inverter that came with it and saw this:

http://i.imgur.com/70Ql1.jpg

Is this a problem? I know little of these things and will take all the knowledge I can get.

2. driver66

driver66

Thanks Received:
    It looks as if that part has gotten Very hot. It looks distorted. Are there any part numbers on it so you can google it and see what it is supposed to look like? :toast:

OnePostWonder says thanks.
  3. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    That particular component has no visible part number, but the inverter itself has a part number of S12S02. Googling this only turns up a tiny image and that's not of the inside of the inverter.

I bought the EL wire a long time ago from www.vibelights.com, but they're not in business anymore. It wasn't an expensive product or anything, I'm just asking here because I like to have the knowledge. I already know what blown capacitors look like and what happens when a resistor gets too hot.

I suppose if I knew what that particular component is called I could google that.

4. angelhunter

angelhunter

Thanks Received:
    i beleive its a step up coil. its suppose to convert 12v to something like 120vac to make the wire glow kinda like a small transformer. The intensity is based on voltage and the color is based on frequency.
    I've used their inverters, and they work with 9V, 12V and 18V battery
    sources. The last time I checked, they had 4 different inverters. They
    were low power/low frequency, low power high frequency, high power low
    frequency, high power high frequency. The low power inverters are used
    for strands up to 15' and the high power ones can be used up to 50'

try this link
    http://www.wire-el.com/sdp/90004/4/pl-997794/0-500010/EL_wire_inverters_DC.html

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    OnePostWonder says thanks.
  5. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's the inverter. You found a considerably larger picture than I was able to :)