1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elder Scrolls V SKYRIM !! 11-11-11

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Really? WTF, dudes?

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    meh that will be the first mod that gets released i bet, no more rare arrows lol

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there isnt a single problem in life that cant be solved with more arrows.

seriously, give me a problem and i'll give you the solution.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yay mods

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Mussels.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    thats the problem some times were modders don't know were to stop. But it might not be as bad as that sites claims by time it's released.

8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I don't see the big problem with rare arrows, I'm willing to bet you will be able to remove your arrow from carcasses. What I see people doing rather than making just more arrows available, is toning them down (1 shotting everything? really?) and making their ammo more abundant. But it's hard to say without playing, if you can loot your old arrows, and they don't 1 shot everything, then the system is probably just fine. After all these aren't bullets, you can use them again.

Throwing a connecting rod through the side of your engine block.

He could be stopped by an arrow.

Modders don't need to know where to stop, you need to know where your personal boundry is on modding your game. If you want your character to be a cat firing lasers out of his eyes and doing backflips, and you enjoy that, go for it, doesn't mean others have to. It's also why you can put together your own list of mods.

Mussels says thanks.
  9. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Mussels is the mod for that.

10. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that what they are doing with arrows is a great idea. In previous games they were of very little use IMO, except for leveling up merchandise by buying 500 and then selling them one by one, etc.

That's why I think making them rare and expensive is a good idea, but I don't think they will be rare as in only 1000 arrows existing in the entire Skyrim, you know, just that there won't be hundreds of thousands like in Oblivion.

I rarely use the bow in Oblivion but when I did if I took every arrow that I'd find in corpses I'd get thousands in the inventory which is complete bull, usualy you would end up not taking them unless they were Glass or better and that again is complete bs.

In real history you would take ANY arrow you'd find because they trully were rare/scarce and very expensive. Basically a good bow and 20 quality arrows* costed as much as a sword and a full set of armor + shield. I don't see te problem of implementing arrows this way in Skyrim, as long as they are as powerful as real arrows too (and it seems so).

EDIT: They really really need to make marksman skill easier to level up though. It was way too dificult, to the point of posibly being more difficult (requiring way more shots) than in real life.

* The tip of the head being made of quality steel so as to be able to pierce armor. The shaft made of quality wood, so their weight is balanced to near perfection etc.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  11. Jacko28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Providing that you can re-aquire your arrows from the fallen I see no problem with this.

It would be good if arrows were rare enough for you to actually care about them and not fire them in any old direction, a good addition would also be for arrows to suffer from damage and the need to repair them, it would certainly add a little more depth to a class using a bow.

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if arrows become the powerful but limited backup weapon, it could work well.

think what a crossbow and 5 bolts could do in the real world if a swordsman had it as a backup.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Jacko28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Waylander style with a hidden crossbow on one arm would definatly be interesting :)

14. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Waste 5 bolts? Snap the trigger? Accidentally cut the string on the crossbow?

15. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I think that's a good idea and a similar thing is implemented in New Vegas with ammunition, so maybe it's implemented in Skyrim as well.

In Oblivion you could recover them from corpses (except from summoned creatures): a set % of the arrows shot were OK, the broken ones simply couldn't be found on the corpse, however you could recover a 100% of the ones that didn't hit, providing you could find them. I think that regardless of where they ht, a % that are in good condition, a % that are broken but you can repair and a % that are useless would be a good idea for Skyrim. They could even make it so that the rate of successful repairs depends on your armorer skill.

I still think that leveling marksman up should be easier and/or you should be able to train by shooting targets, so the fact that you would loose some of the arrows seems a good idea to me. My point is, make it easier (less time needed) to increase your skill, but make it more expensive by making arrows more expensive overall and also break some of them.

16. Jacko28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps make it a certain % of a level that you can train by using dummies so it can't be abused.

Has it been confirmed if there are crossbows in game?

17. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    no thanks. I always play a ranged character first in my gaming, and the arrows were worth more to me than vending. To each his own, but I think your statements are akin to saying "All those swords in Oblivion were completely useless, and I think that they should make them very rare". Feel free to substitute "swords" for any other piece of armor, weaponry, or spell that you might find useful. I dislike making arrows less easily available, but I'm sure that Bethesda will make all playstyles viable, as they usually do, and if I find it lacking, within days, there will be a mod to support it anyway ;)

18. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  19. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I happen to like ranged characters and use them in most RPGs (instead of mages or warriors). But in Oblivion they were not very effective and that's a fact. You can still perfectly play that way, of course the beauty of Elder Scrolls is that you can play as you want. So I still played with bows and arrows a lot, so don't pretend that I don't know how it is to play like that.

My point was that by making the bow more powerful, but arrows more scarce will make ranged characters far more interesting and kind of realistic which is always good. IMO bows were severely underpowered in previous games which is why you needed several hundred arrows if you only based your character on ranged attacks*. That was false IMO and the new implementation seems far better, but we'll see. I think you didn't understand the change or as a player who likes playing ranged attacks you should be loving the change.

* It also made enemy archers the most laughable of all enemies because of how weak they really were once you forced them into melee combat. The point is if 5+ arrows are needed to take an enemy down (sometimes much more as is the case with the player) and the archer only has the chance of shooting 1 or 2 which was always the case, then that's not a threat at all. So... make 1-2 shoot kills happen so that melee units have something to worry about ranged units. (EDIT: Also make hitting the target more difficult, by implementing better AI behavior against ranged attacks). Which is what happened in real life.

EDIT2: And BTW high grade (read glass, ebony, daedric) armor, swords, whatever, should DEFINITELY be much much much rarer than in Oblivion.

20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Bethesda should rename Winter Hold to Winterfell!

21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    New inventory system (these screens are taken from the videos) looks pretty slick. Incase you don't feel like watching almost 25 min of video. It seems to be the same footage that is out there, but now there is some added footage mixed in, so be prepared to skip forward some if you don't want to watch the old stuff again. Seems like the same demo they been running everywhere.

Skills Tree/Inventory
    [​IMG]
    Next one shows how you can zoom in and rotate anything to look at it closer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This next one is all of your skills, as you can see each one has a constellation above it lit up and they are different. They show the shields one, and each one of those points is like Heavy Bash, or something else you learn to be capable of using your shield for.
    [​IMG]

NPCs
    This is just amazing, the main character just walked up to a guy standing in a wood mill, with some logs in a stack on the left. Now I figure, I have seen this is many games, items strewn around, especially large objects like logs, everytime you come back they will be there. Or a NPC will grab a log out of the bunch, but it just spawns a magical one as he is pulling it out and doesn't change the pile, well look at this.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After: (amazing)
    [​IMG]
    Here you see a camp of NPCs in one of their dungeons. These guys were in a conversation about some dark elf that wanted to keep going through their, so they let me go ahead.
    [​IMG]

Spell Use:
    Notice that the enemies are highlighted in blue, seems you might be able to see them through walls. After this he switches hands and you see them in red, so it must be linked to the spell.
    [​IMG]
    There is a quick menu for weapons I know for sure, and pretty sure for spells. But here is the big menu with spell explanations. The player chose this before going to fight a Frost Troll, so I would assume fire works well on cold things and such.
    [​IMG]

Dragon Calls:
    I seen him use one that was an aoe knockback on enemies. Heres the only one he actually shows in the spell bool.
    [​IMG]

Melee/Ranged Combat:
    And since Bow combat as been the topic lately, heres what I am noticing. It has bullet time (only if you are aiming), and any humanoid thing it seems to be a 1 or 2 hit kill (probably wouldn't be so against someone in metal armor), and it seems to matter where they get hit (could be wrong here). Anyways, here is just firing the arrow
    [​IMG]
    And here is aiming/"bullet time" (seems he holds his breathe right before this happens for better aim)
    [​IMG]
    Here is dual wielding
    [​IMG]

The World:
    Here is a puzzle to unlock the door, you need to line up the 3 rows in the right order to open it. Earlier in the dungeon he looted a golden claw that if you inspect it shows the right order for the 3, then you put it in the right order and place the claw in the door to open it.
    [​IMG]

Other things I noticed:
    -Dungeons have booby traps. I seen a wall of spikes (they didn't show that in action), and a hallway with big hammers swinging like like a pendulum that the character had to sprint through. So expect to feel a bit like Indiana Jones here.
    -Spell casting seems to have a "bullet time" spell that might amplify spell damage.
    -Player characters can place light beacons. Might be weapon specific, not sure here, but the player fired a light beacon out of his left hand weapon (called a Staff of Magelight) across the room and at a wall where it remained and lit that area.
    -Seems that there is splash damage in the game. Just watched the player fire a fireball into a pillar of stone next to a Dungeon boss and it did damage to the boss and actually killed it. Though I would assume the splash damage is lower than a direct hit (at least I hope).

Mussels, yogurt_21, hellrazor and 3 others say thanks.
  22. Ray_Rogers2109

Thanks Received:
    I was attempting to have myself devoid of how the game looks like. Guess I can't anymore unless if it's in spoiler tags. I just want the gist of it and not be bombarded with info. Same how I was with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
    Yes I know my request is entirely stupid but for me it takes away the majority of how the game will be if I'm unallowed to discover for myself how the game mechanics are entirely in the game for The Elder Scrolls series. Just a major part of exploration and wanting to figure out myself how certain things play out.
    So Kurgan, please place the images in spoiler tags for those who'd rather be mystified when they first play this instead of every little detail given to them ahead of time. I consider the above images spoilers.
    Except I don't mind a listing of the voice actors and the full specifications for SKYRIM though.

EDIT: Max von Sydow is the only actor I recognize from the IMDb listing. Hell with it, I'm gonna watch the videos.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  23. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Spells always had "splash damage", almost all the spell effects can be applied with a area of effect. And the radius could be big actually, I don't remember how much exactly but iirc the minimum was 10 ft. However area effect adds a lot of cost to the spell so usually it is better to avoid using it.

EDIT: In one of the images you posted, the one showing the fireball spell, says "A fiery explosion for 75 points of damage in a 15 foot radius. Targets on fire take extra damage.", so if that was the spell he used there's your answer. The thing about targets on fire taking extra damage is new tho, afaik.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  24. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Can only go so far discussing a game when you want no info on it, discussions are usually based off info of the game. If this thread had no new info it would have died a long time ago after everyone posting it in got tired of saying "yep, looks good I want it". Plus that fact that it's only 2 months away. I understand what your saying, but this threads been going for far too long to keep on going off nothing, thats why the thread grows slowly. Spoilers are usually saved for storyline things, and if I do post anything to do with actual storyline, it will be in spoiler tags. But game mechanics and some screenshots shouldn't matter a ton.

I see, I never really played a caster in the old games, I never actually really played them much. Casting wasn't my bag, and the melee was kind of boring. Plus I like ot hack and slash in 3rd person, so I'm really eager for this.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  25. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I hope the magic system worked like Magicka a little. Like I could have fireball in one hand and Lightning in the other. Combine and create a bolt that sets things on fire. Or Earth Spike + Push = Throw Bolder. It would make the system more interesting and dynamic for pure magic users. Hell I would settle for Staff + Fire = Torch or Sword + Element = Elemental Sword for XX seconds.