1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Spoiler tags please.
    The Thalmor may also send assassins against you. They are strike teams from the imperials, their job is to eliminate anyone that still prays to the old gods from the previous games. In the old games, for example, the raving lunatic in the Whiterun Wind District would be a normal worshipper. Listen to what he says, because it is true. The Thalmor will attack you without warning if you make yourself known as a worshipper of the old gods.

You have to favorite them. On the console the favorites list is unlimited, which I consider to be far more useful than a mere 8 hotkeys. Also remember that powers and shouts occupy the same button, which is different than your two hands.

Spoiler tags please.
    Huh, I got a axe from Jarl Balgruff. Got a sword in Falkreath though.

Don’t do that. Leave your horse outside the dungeon entrance. You can get in the saddle no matter what you are carrying, and you can fast travel with the horse. I haul 2-3000 lbs of loot per run.

If you fast travel on foot the horse is usually there waiting for you. It can also defend itself, my horse doesn’t take shit from anybody.

They are impossible to find in Whiterun. The smaller merchants have about 20 of them each. Try Riverwood and Falkreath.

Spoiler tags please.

Spoiler tags please. You can stop it before it gets bad if you pray at an alter. The easiest one for me is Kynareth in Whiterun.

You can do this for vampirism as well.

I had trouble too, until I did a certain quest that told me pretty much who is at fault here.

The imperials surrendered to the elves in some kind of war, and they pay these Thalmor strike teams to run around assassinating anyone who doesn’t worship who they tell them to.

Also, the imperials run terrorist missions against the Stormcloaks all the time. The civil war is a propaganda campaign to leave the Nords weak for the incoming Imperial invasion. There is a large map in the war room behind Jarl Bulgruuf throne in Dragonsreach, Whiterun Cloud District. I suggest you take a look at the flags and update your map.

Now, I support them all getting along. But underhanded shit like that pretty much validates the Stormcloak’s argument. The Stormcloaks are not really racist against elves, the elves are racist against the Nords, and that makes the nords disdainful of them.

If you pick the imperials your character is pretty much evil, there is no two ways about it.

FIXED

burtram and zenlaserman say thanks.
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Back at work today which means I won't be able to play again til this evening which means...time to research and download mods! :)

P.S. Bumblebee I do not understand your statement "I don't do mods". Why would you choose to not utilize something that improves the game and experience and can even add content?

It can be a pain to find "the right ones" and research and test initially but the payoff is so worth it. And if you simply like playing the game "as the devs intended", well, you have your XBox for that.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    ViperXTR and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well elder scrolls series is one of the few where the devs INTEND for there to be mods, so that point is moot imo. even vanilla i'd choose pc, as it's pc :)

ViperXTR and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    PC and not doing mods is like saying, I like to drive my car without wheels.

Wrigleyvillain and digibucc say thanks.
  5. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I mean PC is superior vanilla as well due to higher resolution ability and better graphics options but mods are what really make it take the crown. Especially in this series.

6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    see i am on both sides. i want to experience all it has to offer with no content/config mods. i'll do graphics mods, etc on the first playthrough - like the higher quality night sky, or what kurgan posted - but i won't add content or change the way the game works until i have gotten most all i can out of the vanilla game.

i like to be able to compare the effects, and i have to know what the game runs like vanilla before i can do that. after 100 hours or so i'll probably add some kind of mods. already almost 40 now so that won't be too long will it ;)

Horrux and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I start with graphics, UI and bug fixing ones as well. Don't do new content or gameplay changers until later. And I too like waiting a bit so as to better know how "it's supposed to look and play vanilla" so I can better notice and appreciate the changes the mods bring.

Speaking of the UI it's vastly improved in terms of layout but they should have used a different font. Something fancier and more "fantasy-like". Ah, no worries, surely there's a mod or three. ;)

digibucc says thanks.
  8. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    More like, "I own a car, but I won't put a new stereo in it or do my own repair work." There is nothing wrong with that.

9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    more like, "i bought a car that came with this free deck, it's really easy to put in but i don't want to as i like the tape deck that cane with it, the way the manufacturers wanted me to experience the car" ;)

wow bumblebee was WAY right. i bought the collectors hardcover guide from amazon on thursday for $23. checked today (it should ship) and out of curiosity checked the store page - it's now $86 dollars. craziness.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  10. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...and I put the book on my Amazon list then and I think my gf may have bought it for me for Christmas at a higher price. Shoulda put a note on it not to do so. Though it wasn't $86 until very recently.

Hey Kurgan how do you think the FXAA mod you linked to compares to this "Antialias and Sharpen Effect" one? The latter looks intriguing but almost like it's "too much" base don the screenies. If anyone here has tried it lmk.

No, there's nothing wrong with it per se. I guess I just don't understand her reasoning and am more curious than anything. She know her shit when it comes to games so...

11. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Running on Ultra, 4xMSAA and driver level 4xTRAA. Ok framerates when showing minimal estate, massive slowdown when plenty of particle based effects on screen at once specially in that dwemer based town when overlooking the whole town from the falls.

12. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Performance is...curious to say the least. Over all I don't think any of us can complain esp as related to outdoor frame rates (and how Oblivion was in general) but it some places it can lag and I often can't understand exactly why at the time.

13. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Not really, more like buying a 1000hp car and never breaking 30mph. If you have the computer to push the game farther than what the max settings are, then why not do so and make the game look better. I can understand wanting to get play throughs before modifying quests and such, but sharpening the game up and adding some texture packs, as long as your computer can hack it, is what PC gaming is all about. And if your computer can hack it, yet you chose not to do it, then why did you waste money on a computer you refuse to put to good use.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Richieb0y and LifeOnMars say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Last night I was just walking around exploring when TWO dragons were flying around together. I tried attacking both but only hit one and we battled but his buddy took off. I'm sure he didn't want any part of me...

This game has been amazing. my only complaint is I had to return to work today. I managed 30 plus hours over the weekend though. I can't wait till tonight.

My L17 BattleMage
    [​IMG]

mlee49 says thanks.
  16. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    what you are seeing is normal, if you look closely there is often two dragons, and the one always flies away. you'll find out why in the story if you haven't already.

i like that mask, what is it?

17. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    You find the masks on the way to looking for new shouts and words sometimes, they drop from undead super mages. Make sure to periodically check with the Greybeards for locations of words.

digibucc says thanks.
  18. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah i've done one but will definitely get more :) super-mages, check ;)

i wasn't sure about dragons and shouts coming to elder scrolls, but that was unnecessary. they didn't use it as an excuse for a plot. it's on it's own complimentary to the main story, but in no way takes away from it. i'm very happy with it :)

19. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just FYI, because I spent like an hour trying to find the right file.

Disable VSYNC in Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Open: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini

Add "iPresentInterval=0" to the [Display] section:
    [​IMG]

Disable Startup Movie

Delete or rename BGS_Logo.bik in the Data\Video folder:
    [​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Okay most people dont realize this but PC version isnt special vs the console game, in fact

Todd Howard himself has stated that mods work on the 360 version of the game, just microsoft and sony cant gaurentee the mods will work properly or not brick a save game so they wont allow it, but the simple fact is on Xbox and Xbox 360 dev consoles

you can simply drag and drop the PC mods to the Xbox / 360 version game and they work without issue,

so essentially it comes down to microsoft and sony being douchebags and not allowing you to use mods lol.

Morrowind on Xbox was moddable,
    Oblivion on 360 was moddable
    Fallout 3 on 360 was moddable
    and
    Fallout New Vegas was moddable on 360 as well

and now the same is true of Skyrim

the problem is you need the developer console and of course the developers game build for it to work.

Currently Todd Howard is still in talks with microsoft and sony about how to bring user mods to the console game.

1Kurgan1 and digibucc say thanks.
  21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    right, which is why the pc is superior - microsoft can't say no to me on my own pc. yet ;)

22. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Get home tonight from San Fran to finally play my Skyrim!

23. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    so trying to play this on my intel i5 sandybridge laptop with HD 3000 graphics (can't always be at the gaming PC) My resolution is 1360x768 which is a little to low of FPS for my liking. Is there any way to for 1024x768 to go full screen instead of having black bars on the side?

24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i'm afraid that's a little more of a task than you may think. it'll be specific to the game, and idk if it'll even be possible. good luck though.

25. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    The problem as i see it is those Dev machines are expensive. Moreover letting users play with them outside of the confines of a company that can be held accountable causes all sorts of legal debate. On the PC it is slightly different as you personally agree to your content and have access to manage your files in an appropriate manner. On a console they have a system in place that mean as a parent can say this is a PEGI 12 game, and is suitable for my offspring, With modd-able content that PEGI rating may as well not be there.

How would you feel if your kids got hold of your Xbox and were playing sonic generations and they found downloadable content that made the little blue man masturbate whenever left idle... How would you police that been downloaded, and how would you lock out accounts per machine so your kids don't get the content you get. On a pc, the user is assumed to be old enough to install the software. On a console the user only has to be old enough to put a disc in a drive.

I can see all sorts of legal debate, red tape, and general nonsense regarding the console market and a freely mod-able game. Without a company to act as the face, and to give accountability to the mods it is simply not going to happen. Betheasda could step up, But in reality would you want to certify someone else's work, and take the legal action of problems getting through whatever safety systems you have in place. Only a very sure company with a tight control of what can be modded would allow that. TESCS gives too many options for user created mods.

The only sure fire way to get round this would be an opt out on your legal claims against microsoft, and all 3rd parties regarding modified content. Making any claim against content found on the machine the direct responsibility of the owner of the console, and any claim against unsuitable content to be directed at the console owner for not providing suitable protection for minors.