1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    regardless, i have some background apps that uses memory anyway (i can go up to ~4Gb total memory usage when playing skyrim with some background apps) so 8GB is a nice headroom

2. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Still a much better improvement that what we had pre-patch at least :laugh: and hey he can hope for 8GB utilization one day lol

3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    meh if the game had a 64bit exe it could address as much ram as it needs and stops at the maximum you have the only reason we are limited is because of the 32bit nature of most games as consoles are 32bit

4. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Well frame rates seem to be back to normal in my game after the patch.
    I noticed a significant frame drop before.
    Especially when fighting close quarters with NPCs.

I did not get the fire glitching out in Breezehome.
    Still have two Louis Letrush hanging about outside Whiterun stables.

But I did get what appears to be a flickering level of detail glitch with water and ice out near Solitude.
    [​IMG]
    The water flickers from what appears to be low to high detail as I move along.
    Also where ever there is ice on the water, the ice will appear then disappear over and over while I walk.

5. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully the next consoles will use x86-64 or some variation of 64 bit.

6. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I don't give a crap what consoles use they just need to design games for PC properly to make use of all the advantages :/

AphexDreamer, Ahhzz and jonathan1107 say thanks.
  7. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Why can't 32-bit just roll over and die already. Honestly, how long have we had 64-bit support on every available chip from Intel and AMD?

8. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    probably not were looking at consoles using maybe 1-2gb of ram and 512-1gb of gpu memory aka 3gb total give or take still under the 32bit limitation i doubt consoles will change untill the addressable ram hits a total that 32bit cant access so from current trends the console gen AFTER the new nex gen should have it so id say another 6 years we might see 64bit consoles lolz

9. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    ive seen some discussion regarding skyrim's gameplay/story here (several posts back). Never really expected a super epic story behind it or every side quest, but several of the quest are decent or interesting enough. Ive always thought that excitement can depend on the way you play it (creativity/imagination) since its a sandbox type of game after all. In my case, i try to avoid making a tank build character since it can get a bit boring later on, being almost godlike and all (as experienced on oblivion/fallout3/nv). I usually try to stick on thief/assassin like character that favors sneaky, speed and critical hits (and sacrificed defense).

10. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    uh higher difficulties even with good armor as a tank you can get thrashed pretty hard, if you have no room to move around especially if using 2 handed weapons.

11. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Challenge accepted :cool:

12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    So it look like games which are made for all platforms are going to continue to be limited to a max allocation of 3GB for a while yet which most likely means PCs now and in the future will be more than enough in the way of performance for all games which are also on consoles.

In a positive sense this means there will be no wondering if the PC will be able to run the game at acceptable levels.

Even a pre-built low-end to mediocre machine from some franchise.

But then again it depends a lot on the quality of the port to PC which gets on my nerves.
    Seeing a console run a game smoothly while a PC ends up stuttering and lagging on the same game even though it's system specs are far superior.

jonathan1107 says thanks.
  13. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    That was the first thing I did.. still the same.. game wont reflect the ini changes :|. Time to reinstall

14. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Yes, obviously, tanking can still get tough in higher difficulty, did it as well in their previous games, but imo not as exciting as being a slightly weaker character build.

15. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I Got Skyrim today, its great what I've played so far. I average 60 fps

16. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I had that in New Vegas after modding textures, it wasn't quite as powerful of an effect as that though, but it overlays all of my grass, rather than flames.

I understand what your saying, but since console are a crutch and game design is basically focused on working on those, what console does should be very important to you.

I think he means sword/board tank, I wouldn't call using 2 hander a tank, but yeah harder difficulties even sword/board is not easy.

17. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    True but it would be nice to see games designed specifically for PC so we do not have to deal with some of the agravation, hopefully though the next-gen consoles kick it into higher gear :/

18. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Well, hopefully, there will be more PC exclusive titles like "The Witcher 2" which allow us to make full use of our hardware and it's features ;O)

19. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    uh yea Witcher 2 wasnt PC exclusive and was still DX9 so it didnt use hardware or new features just so your aware Witcher 2 is on Xbox 360

360 version should be released Q1 2012

20. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It would be nice to see, but won't happen. The problem is these consoles are over 5 years old. When the new consoles come out, it will get better, but once they are 5 years old, it will be just as bad again. Just a reoccurring timeline.

21. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Yup, well when it first came out, it was a PC exclusive game, and indeed, there won't be an xbox 360 version before first quarter of 2012, which kinda tells you that they've crafted something that had to work well with PCs...

As for the DX9, it doesn't Always matter if it's dx11 or dx9... Think of crysis and it's Stunning graphics which are dx9 based...

What I meant by making use of "our hardware"... I mean we can push MUCH more texture, AA and so on with PCs... Also, Witcher 2 supports bloom, LOD, SSAO... mind you, they're even the first game I hear about that supports ubersampling...

Now, I'm not aware of all the details, but as far as I'm concerned, I think "the witcher 2" feels MUCH more optimized for PCs than "skyrim" does...

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    DX11 isnt about better graphics - its about the same graphics with better performance. skyrims CPU limitations would be partially alleviated by DX11, with its better multi threading for example.

ViperXTR says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Yes I'm aware that DX11, allows for better performance... I guess, what I'm trying to say is some games out there feel "more optimized" than others.

If you compare "the witcher 2" to "skyrim" for a second, you will see that the witcher 2 is not affected by the same limitations than skyrim is, even though both are dx9 based and both have pc and console versions of them...

I'm just hoping that more games "like witcher 2" will come out, preferably with dx11 of course...

24. random

random

Thanks Received:
    IMO The Witcher 2 is just as flawed as Skyrim in terms of performance, the only reason it ran better was because of its linearity compared to Skyrim. The prologue performance especially could've been alot better.

EDIT: Starting to really like the way my character looks, just had to change the hood with a mod though lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  25. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Looking good, I am definitely going to grab the hood to go with my set as well :laugh: