• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Discussion)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
So if you play Skyrim on two computers, and have a character on each with the same name who are different, what happens ? I can see people complaining already ... :rolleyes:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
There is surely another differentiating factor besides char name but does anyone with multiples actually give them all the same name? Sounds confusing to say nothing of unimaginative. :D

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
So if you play Skyrim on two computers, and have a character on each with the same name who are different, what happens ? I can see people complaining already ... :rolleyes:

"Supposedly"... the latest 50MB of saves will be uploaded..

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
There is surely another differentiating factor besides char name but does anyone with multiples actually give them all the same name? Sounds confusing to say nothing of unimaginative. :D

The character can be completely different, but the save game filenames will be the same, no?

Yes, it is unimaginative, but I'll bet 90% of the people who play Skyrim do not play really imagintively. For instance, how many people role play a character who has faults? (Won't do something because that is their personality, even though the game allows it).

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403

I don't think any Steam Cloud game yet is mandatory. So if thats a fear anyone has, they most likely will still be able to do the old local method.

Yes, it is unimaginative, but I'll bet 90% of the people who play Skyrim do not play really imagintively. For instance, how many people role play a character who has faults? (Won't do something because that is their personality, even though the game allows it).

Thats me :p I like my characters a certain way. I like my Warriors like Warriors, I don't use mamby pamby bows or magic, I come at you with a BFS. My Mages are Mages, I refuse to wear Plate Armor (without modding wearing Charmin is freaking difficult), I like my Mages to be Robed and use spells to protect themselves. My Rogue type is the only mix it up for me, possibly Ranged possibly Melee, maybe a mix.

The Warrior aspect was fine in Skyrim, I played one with ease, somethings were a bit annoying like shouting to get dragons out of the sky. The Mage though was just aweful, I wanted to use Lightning only, but I guess Fire is what you are suppose to use on living things, but I refused to, I wanted to play a Raiden type character. But it was just horribly difficult. I had to resort to cheating and console command resurrecting Uthgerd numerous times for each dungeon I went in. But I still enjoyed the character, he was just so hard to play. I put the game down for a few months and when I return I hope to find magic tweaks that make cloth armor and lightning viable.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Well I got Skyrim and I'm not into it yet after about 2 hours. How long until you feel involved?

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Hmm idk do more of the main quest I guess?

You're not playing it right TMM. It's not a game to play, it's a world to explore and experience.

Yeah just explore more. Get a bow and do some hunting (also for leather to start making armor and leveling up smithing).

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Well I got Skyrim and I'm not into it yet after about 2 hours. How long until you feel involved?

A lot more than that, once you are at Whiterun and then you start venturing out, you can start to get that feeling. If you just stick to the storyline and go point A to point B, you probably won't ever get that feeling. But if you see a sweet cave in the hills and decide to check those out along the way, you will find it literally might take you numerous real life days to even make it to your intended location for your quest.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Yeah...I have tried to only discover-not enter-random places unless I know there's not a quest related that I haven't gotten yet (not that it breaks them or anything; plenty of other stuff to do and just how I choose to play).

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I only explore random caves when Lydia says, "Hey it's a cave, I wonder what's inside?"
:laugh:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Sometimes it seems she says that all the time! Even sometimes when we just left a cave! :laugh:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Yeah, Lydia's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :D

I read somewhere that some of the dungeons have a "set level" based on when you first entered the dungeon (say you were level 5). If you get a quest later in that dungeon (say at level 15) the dungeon will not scale to your new level and will populate (or already did populate) based on your initial level.
This could make doing some quests less than interesting as they could be far to easy.

So ... in typical Old Uncle Kreij fashion I've gotten pretty proficient with modding and scripting and now have no idea what to mod. :(

I deleted my player house mod because they are just too common.
I thought about a giant mudcrab follower, but that's kind of useless (although it would be hysterical).
I thought about a summon dragon(s) ring so you don't have to wait for a dragon to appear if you need a soul for a waiting shout. (also thought this might be cool if I set the spell cost really low so you could summon a bunch at a time and watch the chaos. lol )

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
When you are working in a modelling program (Blender, Maya, etc.), how do you know what size to make your model? How do you correlate game size to modelling unit size?

You should import something similar from the game so you could estimate the size based on the already existing mesh :)

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well Kreij if you want you can help me build a giant fing castle, with my entire squad of soldiers, make it into a quest that happens after you beat the main quest, lulz.

Its one of things i wanted to do was build up my own city, setup scripts to make it happen it happen over time, just like the Hlaalu compound in Morrowind.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
well Kreij if you want you can help me build a giant fing castle, with my entire squad of soldiers, make it into a quest that happens after you beat the main quest, lulz.

Its one of things i wanted to do was build up my own city, setup scripts to make it happen it happen over time, just like the Hlaalu compound in Morrowind.

Okay ... but since the interior of the BFC is most likely going to require a worldspace, you have to generate the heightmaps in PS or something.
The navemeshes are going to be a bit screwed until they fix that in the CK.
Other than that, I'm good. :laugh:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
nah no world map, shit, well just do it like they do in Open worlds, find a location clear it of enemy spawns, build a nice sexy castle, use small houses all cramped together, add a barracks with customized Guards etc.

Black = Castle Walls
Red = Castle Towers
Green = Keep
Yellow = Guards Tranning area
light Purple = Shops (triangle near keep = blacksmith, 2 near main road = weapon and armor, two others are misc
Light Blue = Tavern
Grey = Roads
Blue = Gate
Dark Purple = Barracks
Dark Green = Stables
Orange = Houses
Castle Layout.png

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
nah no world map, shit, well just do it like they do in Open worlds, find a location clear it of enemy spawns, build a nice sexy castle, use small houses all cramped together, add a barracks with customized Guards etc.

Black = Castle Walls
Red = Castle Towers
Green = Keep
Yellow = Guards Tranning area
light Purple = Shops (triangle near keep = blacksmith, 2 near main road = weapon and armor, two others are misc
Light Blue = Tavern
Grey = Roads
Blue = Gate
Dark Purple = Barracks
Dark Green = Stables
Orange = Houses
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45786&stc=1&d=1329684713

By god I think I just had a Skygasm :eek:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
We can't do it in the "open" world. The interior of the castle (as a city) needs to be a worldspace or the rendering boundaries for cells are going to give us both anuerysms.

What makes this castle (city) different than the plethora of other locations?

If anyone is interested I have found a REMARKABLE miracle cure for Micro Stutter in Skyrim.

I have been suffering BADLY with frame glitching & hitching & just generally difficult to explain, grainy movement and frame rates.

It was not So bad out doors, where i mostly average the Vsync limit of 60FPS, but whenever I went INSIDE a cave or anything it got so bad it would actually make me feel physically sick after a couple of minutes.

My eyes aren't exactly 100% and the persistent random jitter causes so much strain it was actually physically painful.

I tried all sorts of remedies , and not Vsync'ing but then all the motion tears like crazy and looks terrible for a different reason.

I even tried limiting my gfx to lesser frame rates like 40fps, to see if it could ease the load on the card and although it did help a little it now didn't gel with the monitors refresh rate and caused a different kind of unpleasantness.

Then I got to thinking, why so much worse INSIDE a cave or castle or whatever... surely there's LESS work to do in there and the GFX should be handling even better?

So I got to doing some improvised analysis and I realized that that's EXACTLY what the problem is.

The GFX are running TOO fast and if you monitor the ABSOLUTE frame rate and not a per second average - it was actually pushing through almost 64 frames per second even though the 60 fps limit "seemed" to be running.

The jitter and stutter was NOT my card struggling to keep up - it was uncontrolled OVER performance.The card is running so fast extra frames are breaking through the limiter.

So I did something that seemed stupid - I used BandiCam to limit my frame rate to 60 FPS even though that's exactly what the Vsync should be doing anyway, and that's exactly what frame rate was showing in the first place.

BAM! instantly my GFX ran liquid smooth, and have continued to run perfectly ever since - now the only stagger I get is if I enter a high detail scene scene that drops my rate down a bit but that's perfectly acceptable and hardly ever happens!

SO there it is ppl - If you have Micro stutter that you just cant address - try using BandiCam to limit your FPS to 60 - it works fantastically well for me.

(IF you know of anyone who has had this trouble - do them a favor and suggest this? I know somebody was talking about this a hundred pages, or so, ago - but I cant find the post - this thread has gotten huge)

EDIT : In further testing my GFX card also runs quieter, and Colder with BandiCam limiting to 60. It's insane - even tho the average frame rate has apparently remained the same, now that i have the external frame limit it is not only running better but also no longer sounds like a hair-dryer lives in my computer.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
it would be the player characters if we can script quests to build it up over time, it would make sense,

basically... as the Dragonborn we help every tom dick and larry in the world we save the world kill dragons, we restore a nearly destroyed faction, we become Thane in all courts but at the end of the day, we are still nobodies in game, no power no prestige, i would think after reuniting skyrim / forcing a Peace, stopping the dragon rampage and 50 thousand other things, that i would be a Jarl at some point lulz, own castle + own troops = awesome

this mod will probably proce most useful

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8058

Last edited:
System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
http://img.techpowerup.org/120219/Capture378.jpg

If anyone is interested I have found a REMARKABLE miracle cure for Micro Stutter in Skyrim.

I have been suffering BADLY with frame glitching & hitching & just generally difficult to explain, grainy movement and frame rates.

It was not So bad out doors, where i mostly average the Vsync limit of 60FPS, but whenever I went INSIDE a cave or anything it got so bad it would actually make me feel physically sick after a couple of minutes.

My eyes aren't exactly 100% and the persistent random jitter causes so much strain it was actually physically painful.

I tried all sorts of remedies , and not Vsync'ing but then all the motion tears like crazy and looks terrible for a different reason.

I even tried limiting my gfx to lesser frame rates like 40fps, to see if it could ease the load on the card and although it did help a little it now didn't gel with the monitors refresh rate and caused a different kind of unpleasantness.

Then I got to thinking, why so much worse INSIDE a cave or castle or whatever... surely there's LESS work to do in there and the GFX should be handling even better?

So I got to doing some improvised analysis and I realized that that's EXACTLY what the problem is.

The GFX are running TOO fast and if you monitor the ABSOLUTE frame rate and not a per second average - it was actually pushing through almost 64 frames per second even though the 60 fps limit "seemed" to be running.

The jitter and stutter was NOT my card struggling to keep up - it was uncontrolled OVER performance.The card is running so fast extra frames are breaking through the limiter.

So I did something that seemed stupid - I used BandiCam to limit my frame rate to 60 FPS even though that's exactly what the Vsync should be doing anyway, and that's exactly what frame rate was showing in the first place.

BAM! instantly my GFX ran liquid smooth, and have continued to run perfectly ever since - now the only stagger I get is if I enter a high detail scene scene that drops my rate down a bit but that's perfectly acceptable and hardly ever happens!

SO there it is ppl - If you have Micro stutter that you just cant address - try using BandiCam to limit your FPS to 60 - it works fantastically well for me.

(IF you know of anyone who has had this trouble - do them a favor and suggest this? I know somebody was talking about this a hundred pages, or so, ago - but I cant find the post - this thread has gotten huge)

EDIT : In further testing my GFX card also runs quieter, and Colder with BandiCam limiting to 60. It's insane - even tho the average frame rate has apparently remained the same, now that i have the external frame limit it is not only running better but also no longer sounds like a hair-dryer lives in my computer.

Going to give this one a try and see what happens. What are your system specs btw?

Edit: This fixed the same issue for me and something random I just noticed is that I am hitting 60 fps with my cards at stock clocks lol.

Last edited:
System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
it would be the player characters if we can script quests to build it up over time, it would make sense,

basically... as the Dragonborn we help every tom dick and larry in the world we save the world kill dragons, we restore a nearly destroyed faction, we become Thane in all courts but at the end of the day, we are still nobodies in game, no power no prestige, i would think after reuniting skyrim / forcing a Peace, stopping the dragon rampage and 50 thousand other things, that i would be a Jarl at some point lulz, own castle + own troops = awesome

this mod will probably proce most useful

Thats exactly what the game lacks. You're the freaking Dovahkiin for crying out loud, and you get a small house, with one follower. You should be able to become an emporor or something, maybe usurp the throne or something.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
No ... you're a pawn in the big picture. It should be HARDER post story, not easier.

System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
I know thats how it is, but I think it would be cool if you could take over a town. Even if you couldn't become king or emporor, it would be cool if there was provision to capture a town and become Jarl.