• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electric costs to run the crunchers and folding PCs....

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
It seems to me that recently everywhere and everyone is going to be affected by the increases in costs of electric.. I thought I'd share mine currently (its not showing what it will be, but I'll try to dig that out and update the post with it :)

So, currently electric and gas costs -

1647825254334.png

And here we are with the new costs -

1647825429800.png

They are putting up my monthly bill as I pay direct debit and so on, from £180 to £265... I've started to use less as if the solar isn't producing then things don't go on for the folding.. I mean, running this 5950X RTX 3090 it'll chew through around 550w no problems when folding (no crunching...) and that's without power limiting the GPU as well, so stock settings :)... I think idling whilst I'm typing this, I can see it pulling about the 175w or so... Thank god for my mini PC.. That pulls 6 to 12w when in use !!

Here's something I did just to see what the differences would be costing me...

01-03-22 electric increase cost from April 22.PNG

So just for reference...

321 was how many electric units I used during Feburary (I believe it was 1st to the 28th??) so first 3 calculators are the current prices, then the newer prices, then the difference in cost, so nearly 40% increase, that was just for electric, never bothered with gas as that's a little harder to work out but not impossible....

If anyone else wishes to share or anything, please post away :) Just thought I would and if I see tumble weeds in the thread, I can always delete it :D :D And apologies as always, but wasn't sure if to put it in FAH or WCG threads.....?? :)

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Standing charge is something they charge us over in the UK (I presume else where also??) for the 'use' of the cables/pipes in the ground connected to the property... God only knows why they are doubling it for the electric and then only adding on 1.1p a day for the gas.. Heaven only knows.... I've never understood that charge.....

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
Yikes Phil glad I'm not in blighty now. They have you by the balls there really, the UK doesn't get enough sunshine to show the true possibilities of solar.
I'm currently thinking very hard about swapping my servers and network gear over to DC-DC power supplies and running it all off solar.
Not only to save costs but also the grid here isn't what you would call stable and as the weather starts to enter it's extreme months here, power cuts will be a regular occurrence (too rainy= power cut, too hot= power cut) don't really want to deal with that especially since 70% of the house is run via my server now (lights, air-conditioning, CCTV and so on all goes to the sever for control).

Although it's still nothing compared to the west, utilities and commodities are on the rise here fuel is almost at £1 a litre(doubled in the past few years) same for electricity bills.

My only worry is batteries, and the sheer mass of them I would need to run the house totally off grid.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Here's the Dutch tariffs for me... I always change my contract after winter so I never get surprised if Winter is Coming and/or if shit happens like it did just now and has done a few times before. Except not to these extremes. Man am I happy for playing this market that way... I think I just saved 1500 euro this winter compared to variable tariffs by just having the contract end anywhere through december > today...

We have fixed costs as well but I'm just going to give the rough indication as the government is also still stepping in with more cost reduction measures (reduced energy tax etc.), but they likely won't touch price per unit a lot:

Current tariff electric rounds off to €0,23/kWh.
New tariff (since feb'22, I'm getting it 3rd of April): €0,61/kWh :kookoo:
But.... solar panels... I get the exact same amount back for production... the car charges on my meter and I get that back too on my bank account, so net usage is down to about 5 euro per month (it was this year). This stuff really pays off now as I get my daily usage from the panels too.

As for running the house off grid... I don't think its the best way forward. Energy has always been about a smart mix, that will likely intensify further, become more of a mesh network with every home on a battery to add to balancing the load. You already have the power lines, so why not use them. What we see in NL is that there is lots of excess energy but transport is an issue and we have the energy at the wrong moments in time each day. All you really need is a way to store excess energy on a larger scale. And when you know how much excess energy there is, you can start producing/importing less in places like coal plants and gas terminals. Excess energy also implies that hydrogen energy as a storage medium becomes feasible, yes you need more energy to create it, but when its there, why not, and then you won't need the batteries. Hydrogen is fully scalable.

Gas is hilarious if it wasn't so horrible. Current: €0,69/m3
New: €2,27/m3

At least we can welcome a LOT of graphics cards in the second hand market soon... I'm just trying to see the upsides here :D
Another upside: the ROI of 'green' improvements to your home is shortened by a number of years. We're definitely going to get a budget to build/renovate soon.

Last edited:
Low quality post by Space Lynx

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It seems to me that recently everywhere and everyone is going to be affected by the increases in costs of electric.. I thought I'd share mine currently (its not showing what it will be, but I'll try to dig that out and update the post with it :)

So, currently electric and gas costs -

View attachment 240682

And here we are with the new costs -

View attachment 240683

They are putting up my monthly bill as I pay direct debit and so on, from £180 to £265... I've started to use less as if the solar isn't producing then things don't go on for the folding.. I mean, running this 5950X RTX 3090 it'll chew through around 550w no problems when folding (no crunching...) and that's without power limiting the GPU as well, so stock settings :)... I think idling whilst I'm typing this, I can see it pulling about the 175w or so... Thank god for my mini PC.. That pulls 6 to 12w when in use !!

Here's something I did just to see what the differences would be costing me...

View attachment 240685

So just for reference...

321 was how many electric units I used during Feburary (I believe it was 1st to the 28th??) so first 3 calculators are the current prices, then the newer prices, then the difference in cost, so nearly 40% increase, that was just for electric, never bothered with gas as that's a little harder to work out but not impossible....

If anyone else wishes to share or anything, please post away :) Just thought I would and if I see tumble weeds in the thread, I can always delete it :D :D And apologies as always, but wasn't sure if to put it in FAH or WCG threads.....?? :)

you can thank the miners. supply and demand. crypto is ruining the world.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
you can thank the miners. supply and demand. crypto is ruining the world.
I think we are way beyond that right now... I think personally, this is a whole new level of stupid.... I'll leave the post there but please, no more....

But still...
Yikes Phil glad I'm not in blighty now. They have you by the balls there really, the UK doesn't get enough sunshine to show the true possibilities of solar.
I'm currently thinking very hard about swapping my servers and network gear over to DC-DC power supplies and running it all off solar.
Not only to save costs but also the grid here isn't what you would call stable and as the weather starts to enter it's extreme months here, power cuts will be a regular occurrence (too rainy= power cut, too hot= power cut) don't really want to deal with that especially since 70% of the house is run via my server now (lights, air-conditioning, CCTV and so on all goes to the sever for control).

Although it's still nothing compared to the west, utilities and commodities are on the rise here fuel is almost at £1 a litre(doubled in the past few years) same for electricity bills.

My only worry is batteries, and the sheer mass of them I would need to run the house totally off grid.
Oh you should see some of the fixed tariffs, I've seen one for gas and electric for an average user - £500 or so a month... Just for gas and electric?? May as well start living in a box.... At least you'll have free air con....

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet

I've said nothing about anyone being stupid, but I don't believe as most of the crypto is actually down when I last looked that its still as much of an issue as it once was. The profitablity, the difficulty, the pay back, its all gone up and its not helping anyone.
I'm sure as the sky is somewhat blue today, that someone will be caught 'stealing' electric and all the rest of it to help with their mining and all the rest of it, but this thread had nothing to do with mining or any theories in why its going up. It was purely a here's my electric prices, this is what I'm having to pay for my crunching and folding to try and help people. Mining and Ukraine simply has no real place in the thread at all.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Apparently the global shortage of natural gas, aside from the current conflict is because there was not enough wind/solar in the world last year so much less wind energy, that in turn increases electricity demand as it is used to produce the gas, as Phill says, next month energy prices in the UK will have doubled in a year, this explains it better than I could ......................

What caused the gas crisis?

Natural gas prices have soared to record highs in Europe because of tight supplies ahead of winter. In August alone, they rose by more than 70 per cent, pushing some smaller energy suppliers and industrial firms out of business.

A prolonged cold winter over 2020-2021 that drained natural gas storage raised concerns about supplies.

Though storage would usually be refilled during summer months when demand is slow, it has not happened at its normal pace in 2021.

Lower solar and wind output is another factor in the price hike. With the UK and Europe phasing out coal plants in recent years, less windy weather in recent months has lowered their contribution to the grid, meaning that demand for natural gas has increased.

Russia has been sending less gas to Europe, with exports this year dropping to around one-fifth of pre-pandemic levels despite a rebound in demand and low stockpiles in the continent.
While some believe the country curbed its foreign supply in order to refill its own storage, others believe it is trying to pressure European governments into approving its controversial Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Apparently the global shortage of natural gas, aside from the current conflict is because there was not enough wind/solar in the world last year so much less wind energy, that in turn increases electricity demand as it is used to produce the gas, as Phill says, next month energy prices in the UK will have doubled in a year, this explains it better than I could ......................

Natural gas prices have soared to record highs in Europe because of tight supplies ahead of winter. In August alone, they rose by more than 70 per cent, pushing some smaller energy suppliers and industrial firms out of business.

A prolonged cold winter over 2020-2021 that drained natural gas storage raised concerns about supplies.

Though storage would usually be refilled during summer months when demand is slow, it has not happened at its normal pace in 2021.

Lower solar and wind output is another factor in the price hike. With the UK and Europe phasing out coal plants in recent years, less windy weather in recent months has lowered their contribution to the grid, meaning that demand for natural gas has increased.

Russia has been sending less gas to Europe, with exports this year dropping to around one-fifth of pre-pandemic levels despite a rebound in demand and low stockpiles in the continent.
While some believe the country curbed its foreign supply in order to refill its own storage, others believe it is trying to pressure European governments into approving its controversial Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline.

Let's hope Bill Gates new nuclear power plant in Wyoming works well, so others will adopt it, its long time overdue for gas to be retired.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet

Also from what I read @Tatty_One is that we hardly rely on Russia and Ukraine for the gas supply (if what I have been reading is correct, it says about 3% for the UK) but again it wasn't really much of a I'm digging into why things are going up, I'm just going with the, here's the prices, what are yours like type situ :) I've had to cut back, I can't and don't wish to spend out £300 on electric and gas bills each month. Things for me have had to change.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Also from what I read @Tatty_One is that we hardly rely on Russia and Ukraine for the gas supply (if what I have been reading is correct, it says about 3% for the UK) but again it wasn't really much of a I'm digging into why things are going up, I'm just going with the, here's the prices, what are yours like type situ :) I've had to cut back, I can't and don't wish to spend out £300 on electric and gas bills each month. Things for me have had to change.

Russia's direct supply to USA or UK is irrelevant, it is globalized economy, OPEC+ sets all the prices regardless of who imports what from who - so if Russia sends 30% oil to some other country, well thats hurts everyone in the system of trade, its the danger of a globalized economy becoming to intertwined, and we are seeing that now. Some trade is good, but too much is not, as we are now seeing. Should instead be a healthy balance of sovereign sustainability (nuclear/wind/solar) and trade, politicians get a nice boost of ego inflation when they are rubbin shoulders at a world stage level, which is why globalization got out of hand to begin with, and lost its balance. Ego blinds all men, which is why the ancient philosophers were much smarter than we give them credit for, they knew how to dampen ego, for they knew how dangerous it could be.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
We are definitely too reliant on other countries for much more than we should be, but again, we seem to be going off course a little for the point of the thread :)

Its frustrating for everyone not being able to do what they where used to and such, but as always times change and things move on, for better or worse. Now its just a case of seeing what the outcome is :) Hopefully, we'll be 'back to normal' sooner rather than later... Whatever normal is nowadays....

So everyone, electric (not so much gas prices....) how are you all affected with the levels of Crunching and Folding you can do?? :)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Russia's direct supply to USA or UK is irrelevant, it is globalized economy, OPEC+ sets all the prices regardless of who imports what from who - so if Russia sends 30% oil to some other country, well thats hurts everyone in the system of trade, its the danger of a globalized economy becoming to intertwined, and we are seeing that now. Some trade is good, but too much is not, as we are now seeing. Should instead be a healthy balance of sovereign sustainability (nuclear/wind/solar) and trade, politicians get a nice boost of ego inflation when they are rubbin shoulders at a world stage level, which is why globalization got out of hand to begin with, and lost its balance. Ego blinds all men, which is why the ancient philosophers were much smarter than we give them credit for, they knew how to dampen ego, for they knew how dangerous it could be.
We are in danger of venturing off topic here as this thread is energy prices and their relation to Folding costs and I am partly to blame for that but OPEC sets global crude prices, not natural gas/electricity where in contrast to oil tends not to have a global but a regional price.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
We are in danger of venturing off topic here as this thread is energy prices and their relation to Folding costs and I am partly to blame for that but OPEC sets global crude prices, not natural gas/electricity where in contrast to oil tends not to have a global but a regional price.

it's all connected though due to trade routes from Russia and those two being major players in their trade line up, that's all I was trying to point out in a general sense

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i think i am looking at around £400 a month for my electricity bills from now on.. i am using around 2kw per hour running mining rigs i think i will keep running them even though current profitability is very low..

i do have maybe 8K per day of solar power coming in when the sun shines.. this should go up during the summer months..

the cost of energy is going to be a problem..

trog

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
i think i am looking at around £400 a month for my electricity bills from now on.. i am using around 2kw per hour running mining rigs i think i will keep running them even though current profitability is very low..

i do have maybe 8K per day of solar power coming in when the sun shines.. this should go up during the summer months..

the cost of energy is going to be a problem..

trog
I remember those days well.. Stopped back in June/July last year because the profitability went down and it was costing too much to run for the profit. We did a check from my mates prices to the ones I was paying, it was something like 60% profit for me, compared to 500% or so profit for him. Yeah, not going to take cash out to cover that sort of difference!!
Even with solar the hit on the electric is heavy, more so winter/spring months.

What size array do you have @trog100 ?? :)

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
I remember those days well.. Stopped back in June/July last year because the profitability went down and it was costing too much to run for the profit. We did a check from my mates prices to the ones I was paying, it was something like 60% profit for me, compared to 500% or so profit for him. Yeah, not going to take cash out to cover that sort of difference!!
Even with solar the hit on the electric is heavy, more so winter/spring months.

What size array do you have @trog100 ?? :)
i have 20 x 150 watt panels on two of my garden sheds.. these feed into 8 x 100ah lithium batteries which feed a 3000 watt inverter.. currently (mid march) when the sun is shining i am seeing about 1400 watts going into the battery bank.. over say six hours this would be 8400 watts..

trog

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
i have 20 x 150 watt panels on two of my garden sheds.. these feed into 8 x 100ah lithium batteries which feed a 3000 watt inverter.. currently (mid march) when the sun is shining i am seeing about 1400 watts going into the battery bank.. over say six hours this would be 8400 watts..

trog
Very nice mate :) Must help with the PCs being on all the time :) I've 123 x 305w panels and a 4kW array for the house, couldn't fit any more on the roof and bought it back in June (ish) 2017. Best thing I've ever done for the house. Play my cards right, from about 10pm till 8 to 9am, I can use about 2kW, which isn't so bad :) Doesn't quite give me the need for batteries though, not yet :)

I'm hoping to see my payments drop if I'm honest now we are starting to get the better weather.....

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I haven't been watching my energy bill all that closely; perhaps it's time to do so.

EDIT:

MonthElectric $/KWhGas $/unit
2021-020.1160.510
2022-020.1191.022

So holding steady on electric (maybe because I don't think we have many gas-fired plants in the US?), but 2X on gas. I'm fortunate enough to be in the northern hemisphere, and that my only gas appliance is the furnace, so my costs will normalize as the weather warms.

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I haven't been watching my energy bill all that closely; perhaps it's time to do so.
I have a homemade extremely accurate meter fitted at the house and I can tell you that it doesn't help much switch off a light here a fan there, your gonna use juice no matter what your better watching the products you buy and try to get the most energy efficient.

D

Deleted member 202104

Here's current prices for where I live.

1647875334185.png

When I was crunching, I was using about 430 kWh per month for the three PCs. Each had a draw under load of roughly 200w. WCG alone blew through my baseline amount (Tier 1).

I do have solar, but for the last two years I've produced less due to wildfires in the area that literally blocked out the sun for almost two months each year.

Between energy costs, and the fact that WCG doesn't seem to think their work is critical enough that a 2+ month downtime to move some servers is a big deal, crunching is over for me.

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I don’t have the numbers in front of me as I am at the shop, but it did go up significantly, with another bump coming soon, as well as another carbon tax bump. Not only has hydro gone up, food and everything else has as well.

Sad days ahead :(

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Yep even here in the Pacific Northwest energy costs are up. Even cheap hydro land is feeling it.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Between energy costs, and the fact that WCG doesn't seem to think their work is critical enough that a 2+ month downtime to move some servers is a big deal, crunching is over for me.

That's a very uncharitable way of looking at it. We have no way of knowing what kind of resources are available to them.