• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electric meter breaker trips

proengineer

There is a 200 amp circuit breaker outside with the power company's meter that keeps tripping. There is a 200 main amp breaker on the control board inside the house as well, but does not trip when the outside does. Could some one explain to me why this is happening and if the electric company is responsable for replacing this outside circuit breaker or me?

Thank you,
Don

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Call the electric company. Also, is it 200 amps really? That is A LOT.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have 200 amp service. Got no breaker on meter, here.
Might be a local requirements in your area.

You should be responsible for the breaker on your panel, but the breaker on the meter should be the power company's responsibility.
Breaker, probably, has gone bad or going bad.
With power, if you don't know or unsure... don't touch it... Call the Power Company and have them take a look and repair it.

proengineer

The breaker is 200 amps, the same as the one inside on the panel. I called the electric company and they did not say why it is tripping, but that they are not responsable. They said it was part of the meter loop. Any ideas?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The breaker on the outside of the house could be faulty. Generally, at least in my area, the power meter determines who's responsibility it is. If you trace the flow of electricity coming from the pole into the house, if the fault is before the power meter or at the power meter itself, then it is the power company's fault. If the fault is after the power meter, then it is the home owner's responsibility.

Though some areas put everything all the way up to the pole/junction box on the home owner, so check with your local power company.

Call the electric company. Also, is it 200 amps really? That is A LOT.

200 AMP service to a home is common in the US, we're on 110v here so 200AMP service is the same wattage as 100AMP service in an area that uses 220v.

Edit:

The breaker is 200 amps, the same as the one inside on the panel. I called the electric company and they did not say why it is tripping, but that they are not responsable. They said it was part of the meter loop. Any ideas?

Call an electrician and have him replace the faulty breaker. I wouldn't recommend messing around with a breaker of that size yourself.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Bad breaker perhaps. Shit happens

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
That's kind of odd. There are normally no breakers between the power meter and your breaker panel inside the house.
Does your whole home drop power when the outside breaker goes?
If so, then it sounds like it's redundant and could probably just be removed. It may be left over from something done in the past.

Anyway, there are only two reason breakers trip. There is a short and you are drawing more current than their rating, or 2) the breaker is bad.
The only other reason would be that the breaker is accessible to anyone and someone is shutting it off on you.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
there are two possibilities: a) breaker gone bad b) there's a fault on the line between outside and inside breaker, you might wanna do a visual inspection on the line/cable from the power meter to your 200 amps main breaker inside your house first.

The only other reason would be that the breaker is accessible to anyone and someone is shutting it off on you.
if someone open the breaker, the breaker's handle should be in open position, not trip position, well, unless that person push the trip test button on the breaker ;)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm still kinda baffled you have 200a. You have the entire house wired to a single breaker, or am I missing something?

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Do you have an automatic generator?

This 200 Amp breaker may be on the generator line and could be part of an automatic transfer switch.

A pic or two of the breaker, etc. may help. ;)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I'm still kinda baffled you have 200a. You have the entire house wired to a single breaker, or am I missing something?

In the US power comes in to your breaker panel and you have a main breaker (200 amps). It is then distributed to lower amperage breakers for the individual lines in the house.
200 amp is very common here. I have both 200A at the house and the garage.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It sounds like the breaker is faulty, like others have said. I'm sorry I can't help with advice on who is actually responsible for it.

It's pretty hard on your computers too when the power is yanked like that, so I'd invest in an UPS to prevent this. If the power to my house was flakey I would most certainly do this.

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
I put money on there is a loose feed wire in the meter box going to the breaker or the home. It will be after the meter most likely. Check to see if the box is warm or hot? What happens is the lug loosens on the cable a little bit and the current pulling through the wire heats the cable up due to the loose connection and the breaker trips outside near the meter. You might actually hear the buzzing in the box due to the loose connection. Also this would technically be your responsibility due to the fact it is after the meter and is the cable running to the home. You may get lucky and it will be the feed cable to the meter but not likely as the power company would have notice something funky going on with the feed to the meter. And you will have to get an electrician to fix it as it is a live cable that you won't be able to shut down.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
I put money on there is a loose feed wire in the meter box going to the breaker or the home. It will be after the meter most likely. Check to see if the box is warm or hot? What happens is the lug loosens on the cable a little bit and the current pulling through the wire heats the cable up due to the loose connection and the breaker trips outside near the meter. You might actually hear the buzzing in the box due to the loose connection. Also this would technically be your responsibility due to the fact it is after the meter and is the cable running to the home. You may get lucky and it will be the feed cable to the meter but not likely as the power company would have notice something funky going on with the feed to the meter. And you will have to get an electrician to fix it as it is a live cable that you won't be able to shut down.

Definitely look into the stuff mentioned in this post.

I had similar issues to what you are describing in combination with what Mad mentioned in his post. In my situation the entire box had to be replaced with the faulty/broken part being where the actual power meter plugged into the box. That was a costly repair, but I had some issues with the box before and replacing the whole thing was a reasonable course of action. Its a headache if you have to pull permits in your area, or call to have the power shut off at the pole too.

guardrail72

The breaker on the outside of the house could be faulty. Generally, at least in my area, the power meter determines who's responsibility it is. If you trace the flow of electricity coming from the pole into the house, if the fault is before the power meter or at the power meter itself, then it is the power company's fault. If the fault is after the power meter, then it is the home owner's responsibility.

Though some areas put everything all the way up to the pole/junction box on the home owner, so check with your local power company.

200 AMP service to a home is common in the US, we're on 110v here so 200AMP service is the same wattage as 100AMP service in an area that uses 220v.

Edit:

Call an electrician and have him replace the faulty breaker. I wouldn't recommend messing around with a breaker of that size yourself.
i have a similiar problem i bought a two bedroom trailor and had the electric turned on all seemed normal hot water tank was old so i disconnected the power and replaced it connected the power wires to the new tank as per manual white on red black on black and green to ground screw turn power on waited for the tank to heat up and it never did upon checking for power at the tank i found more power then should be there the green ground wire also has power to it just being curios i hooked up the green wire to the black wire the red to the black and the white to the ground screw funny the hot water tank got real hot but lost power thruoghout the trailor all but the kitchen reversed the wires back to normal and all power in the trailor was restored and the hot water tank no longer heats up i traced the wire from the tank in which it lead me to the outside meter box where the black and white wire are conected to a 40 amp curciut breaker and the green wire is connected to a white wire on a power socket in the meter box any ideas would be appreciated

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
While this thread is a tad old, we can appreciate you not rehashing this with a new thread.
That out of the way let me be honest here about that H2O tank wiring. Either you know what you are doing with electrical wiring to a breaker box, or you don't, and is't something you want to do wrong, as you are seeing now. If you have no idea what to do to fix it, the best idea is to hire a licensed and insured electrician to come over and fix it for you. It may be expensive to go this route, but peace of mind of not burning the trailer to the ground or making a potential missile of the water tank is well worth the investment!

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, don't do that!

I know how wacky trailer setups can get. The older they are, the more non-standard they get so perhaps call in a professional certified electrician. I've done plenty of work to mine (including a new water heater), but I'm 'handyman' level of knowledge, sitting in front of the box with a multi-meter and other tools. Wouldn't want to attempt any help remotely, over a forum.

i have a similiar problem i bought a two bedroom trailor and had the electric turned on all seemed normal hot water tank was old so i disconnected the power and replaced it connected the power wires to the new tank as per manual white on red black on black and green to ground screw turn power on waited for the tank to heat up and it never did upon checking for power at the tank i found more power then should be there the green ground wire also has power to it just being curios i hooked up the green wire to the black wire the red to the black and the white to the ground screw funny the hot water tank got real hot but lost power thruoghout the trailor all but the kitchen reversed the wires back to normal and all power in the trailor was restored and the hot water tank no longer heats up i traced the wire from the tank in which it lead me to the outside meter box where the black and white wire are conected to a 40 amp curciut breaker and the green wire is connected to a white wire on a power socket in the meter box any ideas would be appreciated

I suggest you call an electrician. With this jumble of vague information I doubt anyone that could help will help.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
You are lucky you didn't start a fire. And sounds like you attached the hot black wire to the tank's ground -- the control board is probably toast now.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Woah dude, yes, call an electrician.

If something does not work, shuffling the wires around ... is not a brilliant idea. What do you mean with "power" on the green led? If you measured the voltage between it and any of the other leads and get a value something is shorted, somewhere.