1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electricity consumption o. m. rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Laurijan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

I measured the electricity usage of my rig and it was 9.2 Kilo Watt Hours for two days.. A lot of reboots were done in the second day.. And the measurement for the first day was 4.4 Kilo Watt Hours.

So i have to pay about 1.9€ a day if the PC is turned on all the time. Its quite much for a PSU having a efficiency of 85%..

I suspect my 3 HDDs are using a lot of the KWH measured

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    HD's aren't too bad. CPU's and GPU's are usually the biggest draws.

My box costs me about $13-14 USD/month.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Out of interest, what did you use to measure the power consumption?

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Curious here too... my "Kill-a-watt" measures watt draw, but not cumulative.

Definitely the CPU and GPU drawing the most by far. HDD's draw less than 20w each (and that's on the high end) - if you look up the specs on your drives you can find out.

5. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I used a Watt-Meter which was borrowed from the a local electricity company

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well part of the cost is in you psu which is way way bigger than you need. looking at your specs it would only need a 400 watt psu to run everything with power to spare so a better sized psu can help you lower the cost a lot. that said the power your using is not that bad and i would guess its about average for most people. unlike some people think a psu is not only using the power it needs to provide whats required but it is nothing more than a transformer. it draws enough power to provide all the watts its rated for at all times and only generates heat when providing full amps so its the heat which is proportional to the power drawn from it not the use of electricity to the unit itself.

EDIT: further research proved the statement i just made above this is incorrect, please ignore it.

you could also cool your entire rig with just 1 rear exhaust fan if you do some proper airflow technics,
    read my airflow guide. \/ \/

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I was told from a nice local computer shop that an high watt PSU wont heat as much as an avarage Watt PSU when it goes at its peaks and thereby would not use as much W as an 350W for example.

Can you prove them wrong more accuratly like with a link to a trusted site?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The PSU doesn't draw more than what is needed by the components connected to it, that is just wrong. My thermaltake 750w doesn't draw 750w constantly, my UPS confirms this. When the computer is idle the power draw is only ~240w.

The problem is, that even though your PSU is rated at 85% effeciency, that is just the best possible effeciency it will have. Most power supplies are only that efficient when you get close to putting them under ~80-90% load. As the load goes down, so does the efficiency. So if you have an 750w power supply, and are only putting it under 20% load, the efficiency isn't going to be anywhere near 85%.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Laurijan says thanks.
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  12. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its really nothing to do with the psu I could have a 10,000 watt psu and I would only use a faction of it to run my system its the amps that get you to figure watts you simplly need volt and amps Voltage x intensity= watts
    12 voltsx4 amps =48 watts even if your running the psu off 120 volts us or 240? eroupe its whats going on inside the case that matters two overclocked 8800 gts 640 under full load on my old setup were hitting as high as 8 amps a minute 12x8=96 watts x60 5kw hour
    good news is they were not always hitting 8 amps probly closer to 5 most of the time but shut off the overclock and it was under 3 amps under load. so I created my monster.But as you can see it was only bad during gaming and other intense graphic use. I had no way of measuring my overclocked cpu but judging from my heat it was bad. if your pc goes into sleep mode I don't think it will draw much, but since your a member here I would guess it don't sleep much. the newer stuff coming out now will be much better left at its stock configurations. My old AMD 3400+ laptop gets 45 minutes on a fully charged 3 month old battery my new centrion c2d gets 3.4 hours at 3 times the speed. My old laptop burns your leg my new one don't

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well after further review they are correct, psu use a variable load transformer not a fixed load transformer. it does draw only what you use so i was wrong about that.

you missunderstood them about it not drawing as much watts as a smaller psu would. big or small it draws the same watts because it draws what it needs and that doesnt change because of the psu size.

think of it in terms of a 6 cylinder engine and a 4 cylinder engine pulling the same load up a hill, the 6 cylinder goes up the hill without straining and not working hard helps keep it running cooler, where the 4 cylinder strains to get up the hill so its engine is very hot. this is a perfect example of how a bigger psu will help you reduce the heat output of your computer.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:

Funny avatar you got!

The measurement was taken from the computer + a printer in standby + a connected tv-stick (very hot) + a connected webcam + a backlights having keyboard + a mouse + the true flat trinitron CRT.
    I have to messure the monitor alone since its a big CRT and another computer in the living room draws only 1KWH per 30 hours and it has a TFT..

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That isn't really a good example, it depends on the load. A 4 cylinder will outperform the 6 in terms of fuel efficiency going up hill with lighter loads. The same is true about different power supplies.

If you are worried about power usage, set the machine up to use a little power as possible. Have it spin down the hard drives after a short time of inactivity, or even tell the machine to hybernate or go into standby when not being used. Don't have a screen saver, just tell it to turn the monitor off after a short while.

16. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ya the statement about gas was ass backwards so i edited it out. i need to quit trying today because im saying shit all wrong lol.

Laurijan says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I give you a thanks anyway..

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Dunno how you got that 1.9€ but it is infact far off the real figure... (1kWh = ~0.05€)

I have my PSU plugged into a powermeter all the time - had it that way for over 5 months now. During that time it has consumed 517.51kWhs that's 3.25kWh a day, which equals 0.16€ / a day on average.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I have make sure its 0.46€ a KWH at day and 0.36€KWH at night - i called my landlord today and asked him about the electricity price here in Oulu Finnland and he gave me this numbers... not lol..

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Oon aikas varma että vuokraisäntäsi on nyt hiukkasen erehtynyt.
    :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    I pulled that 0.05€ out of memory.
    I just looked it up on the powercontract:

0.053€ / kWh (= 5.3cnt) daytime
    0.046€ / kWh (= 4.6cnt) nighttime

Laurijan says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Maybe this confused woman ment 0.046€ and 0.036€ - Wimen!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    This is what I do. All my 4 PCs have the same Power settings
    Power Schemes: Portable/Laptop (So AMD C'n'Q will be effective. This will save me shit load on power consumption)
    Monitor: Turn off in 5 minutes (All are LCD + one connected to TV)
    HDD: Turn off in 10 min
    Standby: 15 min.
    No Hibernation.

Pretty aggressive power savings. All my machines are in standby and pretty much consume may be around 10W/hr?

My Media PC also has the same settings, it wakes up for scheduled recordings.

My 50" Sony TV and Sony DVD player are the ones getting beaten up now a days as my 2 yr old son watches his favourite and if somebody turns the tv off if he is doing something else, he will run back and switch it on. Its pretty much burning electricity all day. Thats the worst consumer in my home.:cry:

Laurijan says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the moral of this story is to make sure that your power supply is well-matched to the load your system generates. Don't aim too low or too high. There are tools such as this to help estimate power loads. Generate a range of power estimates from idle to max and then find a power supply that has maximum efficiency in that range.

Understand, though, that this is like buying a hybrid car simply to save on gas costs...the vehicle will have to have an exceptionally long life just to recoup the extra initial outlay. I'd suggest doing some math and figuring out exactly how much of a difference a slight (say 5-10%) efficiency increase will mean to your electric costs. If you can't make that money back within the expected lifetime of your system then it's not likely worth the bother.

25. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Good tips! Thx the HDD of my rig are password protected if they turn off the password kicks in and i have to reboot but otherwise your settings are mine from this moment on

10 Year Member at TPU