1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electricity on the case [ new fan controller ] - help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lZKoce, Sep 22, 2017.

1. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

I was installing today my new fan controller : Lamptron FC2. After I fired the PC, something "touched" me before I close the case. So, I pulled out my "I don't know how it is called in English" and see picture :

With fan controller disconnected from PSU and PC shut down, there is electricity on the inside of the case. I don't know if this was there before, it could have. I recently took the whole PC apart for dust clean up.

IMG_0627a.JPG

Fan controller is this :

IMG_0622a.JPG

2. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    something is shorted obviously, check all connections, wires plugs check the house ground
    btw thats called a test-light

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    This is bad news! Those testers test for "AC" voltage. So the fact you have AC on your case is not good at all. In fact, if high enough, it could be dangerous to small children, pets, the elderly or people with heart pace makers. I sure would not stand in a puddle of water and touch your case! Seriously!!!!

You need to immediately get your hands on a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet you have in Bulgaria (like this F-Type tester) at most home improvement stores. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

If your wall outlet is properly wired and grounded, and the power cord to your power supply is not damaged, then it would seem your power supply is faulty and needs to be replaced NOW! I am not kidding!

It is called many things, including "voltage probe", "voltage detector", "voltage tester" or how about this, "Voltage Tester Pen Slotted Screwdriver Electroprobe"! :kookoo:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    AsRock, lZKoce and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    I used a fvd with ATT, something is shorted to ground, id breadboard the system and check every piece of wire to ensure there are no frays, same with the psu if possible.

I would check the outlet source power to ensure no voltage is coming from ground, even polarity too

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure none of the connectors are touching the dividers/bottom of the drive bay, it's a common problem. If that isn't the case, contact Lamptron for support. Definitely don't apply any more power to it until you find the issue.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    It's Saturday and I started working on this issue. I tested the PSU cable: it has three wholes- two of them light up, third one doesn't. I guess the ground is OK. I have the PSU plugged into surge protector as well. I took out the motherboard on a piece of insulating material and took out the PSU from the case. When they are out, there is no electricity on the CPU's cooler's screws. When I return them to the case and I touch the CPU's screws, they light up. Also when I check the top of the hard drives, they also light up. And when I pull out the plastic knobs on the fan controller on the front - the metal struts of the controller, they also light up. I don't think it's the PSU, it seems to me something with the PC case is wrong - the stand offs ? the power button? ground ?

- it took me second to understand what you mean, I will check as it is a cable nest in the drive cage. It is totally possible that something is touching.

@Bill_Bright , I will look for such tester. It's nice to have one. If I don't find one locally I can order from UK or Ebay/Amazon, shipping is easy to here. I just need to know the good on-line stores for these things in UK :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    wait, wait this happened before of after you add the lamptron?
    if it happened before, you should check your electric line, need better grounding

8. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    I have detected it after I installed the controller, but I haven't opened the case in a long time. It is possible this issue was present from before, I just didn't notice it.

9. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    I had that issue. The current is not too strong so it probably cant kill you, but it might kill some of your components. I couldn't fix that PC so I sold it. Dont worry about it, if it was present from before it's not normal but nothing to worry about.

lZKoce says thanks.
  10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried easy solution like add grounding for your pc?
    i have the same issue, but i dunno where it comes from since i use old branded case with some mods
    so far nothing weird happened just tell myself to unplug the cables before cleaning it or i'm gonna get that vibration :toast::D:laugh::laugh:

11. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Thanks Received:
    The case gets it grounding to Earth ground through the PSU and it's power cord. Except what is inside the power supply, there should be NO AC voltages present anywhere inside the case. Period!

If you have an extra stand off under the motherboard, the most likely scenario is DC voltages running through the motherboard would get shorted to ground. That again would NOT put AC voltage anywhere.

The case's front panel power switch should ONLY have +5VDC on it.

theoneandonlymrk and jboydgolfer say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I've seen people thread their power supply mounting screws incorrectly & I wonder if you had a long enough screw and instead of using one of the mounting holes (on a psu) you accidentally went into one of the vent holes in a psu, if you could possibly ground onto the case & create a "live" case?

when the Case mounting holes dont line up perfectly with the PSU mounting holes, and instead one or more line up with the PSU's ventilation holes....not saying thats whats happening here for sure, just a thought as this is pretty serious stuff, dont know if it would still run if it happened

[​IMG]

13. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Exactly , nothing external of the PSU should see any ac Voltage at all ,you likely have a ground issue in something , it might not even be the pc but you should try and fix it.
    Another appliance in your house could also be the culprit of the current but you still shouldn't see this unless the house's ground wiring is defective somewhere in some way but electric regulations varey by country so i suppose this could be wrong info too sorry.
    Could try pc at friends or family , just a volt live check , a plug in mains test is essential for you imho and a cheap multimeter or borrowed, volt stick pens are an indicator and should not be relied on ,measuring would be better even uncalibrated.

14. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Mine looks similar : PSU is face down. It has rubber anti-vibration strip. Thumbscrews are mine own, not the original (I have them though). PSU is old, I have it since...pff 2009? 7-8 years or so. I don't have more info until I get a multi-meter or a wall pug test.

IMG_0629a.JPG

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    The main ground strap and rod need to be checked for bonding to the homes breaker box

Replace those case door thumb screws with regular screws. Could have a wire in the psu touching the psu case

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    if it was dc the light would't come on thats a a/c only voltage probe there is no lead on the back of it it only works in the presence of a/c

probly one of the legs in the socket shorted or leaking to ground or there is a ground fault some-ware in the home
    the problem is NOT in the system if it was the system would be dead

Mr.Scott says thanks.
  17. Norton

Norton Moderator & WCG-TPU Captain Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try removing the upper left side screw and recheck for voltage. @jboydgolfer may have hit the nail on the head- that screw is awfully close to the AC incoming X and Y caps

See this pic from the jonnyGURU review of the 600w version of that psu:

[​IMG]

jboydgolfer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    you could try this one

19. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    sadly, ive seen it go WAY worse than a live case b4... :eek::cry::cry::shadedshu: or so i suspect

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  20. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Check some other appliances in your home to see if it is an issue with the ground of your house. Anything with bare metal will do, dishwasher, washing machine, oven, etc