• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electricity on the case [ new fan controller ] - help

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Hello all,

I was installing today my new fan controller : Lamptron FC2. After I fired the PC, something "touched" me before I close the case. So, I pulled out my "I don't know how it is called in English" and see picture :

With fan controller disconnected from PSU and PC shut down, there is electricity on the inside of the case. I don't know if this was there before, it could have. I recently took the whole PC apart for dust clean up.

IMG_0627a.JPG

Fan controller is this :

IMG_0622a.JPG

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
something is shorted obviously, check all connections, wires plugs check the house ground
btw thats called a test-light

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This is bad news! Those testers test for "AC" voltage. So the fact you have AC on your case is not good at all. In fact, if high enough, it could be dangerous to small children, pets, the elderly or people with heart pace makers. I sure would not stand in a puddle of water and touch your case! Seriously!!!!

You need to immediately get your hands on a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet you have in Bulgaria (like this F-Type tester) at most home improvement stores. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

If your wall outlet is properly wired and grounded, and the power cord to your power supply is not damaged, then it would seem your power supply is faulty and needs to be replaced NOW! I am not kidding!

So, I pulled out my "I don't know how it is called in English"
It is called many things, including "voltage probe", "voltage detector", "voltage tester" or how about this, "Voltage Tester Pen Slotted Screwdriver Electroprobe"! :kookoo:

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
This is bad news! Those testers test for "AC" voltage. So the fact you have AC on your case is not good at all. In fact, if high enough, it could be dangerous to small children, pets, the elderly or people with heart pace makers. I sure would not stand in a puddle of water and touch your case! Seriously!!!!

You need to immediately get your hands on a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet you have in Bulgaria (like this F-Type tester) at most home improvement stores. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

If your wall outlet is properly wired and grounded, and the power cord to your power supply is not damaged, then it would seem your power supply is faulty and needs to be replaced NOW! I am not kidding!

It is called many things, including "voltage probe", "voltage detector", "voltage tester" or how about this, "Voltage Tester Pen Slotted Screwdriver Electroprobe"! :kookoo:

I used a fvd with ATT, something is shorted to ground, id breadboard the system and check every piece of wire to ensure there are no frays, same with the psu if possible.

I would check the outlet source power to ensure no voltage is coming from ground, even polarity too

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Make sure none of the connectors are touching the dividers/bottom of the drive bay, it's a common problem. If that isn't the case, contact Lamptron for support. Definitely don't apply any more power to it until you find the issue.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
It's Saturday and I started working on this issue. I tested the PSU cable: it has three wholes- two of them light up, third one doesn't. I guess the ground is OK. I have the PSU plugged into surge protector as well. I took out the motherboard on a piece of insulating material and took out the PSU from the case. When they are out, there is no electricity on the CPU's cooler's screws. When I return them to the case and I touch the CPU's screws, they light up. Also when I check the top of the hard drives, they also light up. And when I pull out the plastic knobs on the fan controller on the front - the metal struts of the controller, they also light up. I don't think it's the PSU, it seems to me something with the PC case is wrong - the stand offs ? the power button? ground ?

Make sure none of the connectors are touching the dividers/bottom of the drive bay, it's a common problem.
- it took me second to understand what you mean, I will check as it is a cable nest in the drive cage. It is totally possible that something is touching.

@Bill_Bright , I will look for such tester. It's nice to have one. If I don't find one locally I can order from UK or Ebay/Amazon, shipping is easy to here. I just need to know the good on-line stores for these things in UK :D

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
It's Saturday and I started working on this issue. I tested the PSU cable: it has three wholes- two of them light up, third one doesn't. I guess the ground is OK. I have the PSU plugged into surge protector as well. I took out the motherboard on a piece of insulating material and took out the PSU from the case. When they are out, there is no electricity on the CPU's cooler's screws. When I return them to the case and I touch the CPU's screws, they light up. Also when I check the top of the hard drives, they also light up. And when I pull out the plastic knobs on the fan controller on the front - the metal struts of the controller, they also light up. I don't think it's the PSU, it seems to me something with the PC case is wrong - the stand offs ? the power button? ground ?

- it took me second to understand what you mean, I will check as it is a cable nest in the drive cage. It is totally possible that something is touching.

@Bill_Bright , I will look for such tester. It's nice to have one. If I don't find one locally I can order from UK or Ebay/Amazon, shipping is easy to here. I just need to know the good on-line stores for these things in UK :D

wait, wait this happened before of after you add the lamptron?
if it happened before, you should check your electric line, need better grounding

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
wait, wait this happened before of after you add the lamptron?
if it happened before, you should check your electric line, need better grounding

I have detected it after I installed the controller, but I haven't opened the case in a long time. It is possible this issue was present from before, I just didn't notice it.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
I had that issue. The current is not too strong so it probably cant kill you, but it might kill some of your components. I couldn't fix that PC so I sold it. Dont worry about it, if it was present from before it's not normal but nothing to worry about.

System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit
I have detected it after I installed the controller, but I haven't opened the case in a long time. It is possible this issue was present from before, I just didn't notice it.

have you tried easy solution like add grounding for your pc?
i have the same issue, but i dunno where it comes from since i use old branded case with some mods
so far nothing weird happened just tell myself to unplug the cables before cleaning it or i'm gonna get that vibration :toast::D:laugh::laugh:

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I don't think it's the PSU, it seems to me something with the PC case is wrong - the stand offs ?
The case gets it grounding to Earth ground through the PSU and it's power cord. Except what is inside the power supply, there should be NO AC voltages present anywhere inside the case. Period!

If you have an extra stand off under the motherboard, the most likely scenario is DC voltages running through the motherboard would get shorted to ground. That again would NOT put AC voltage anywhere.

The case's front panel power switch should ONLY have +5VDC on it.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I've seen people thread their power supply mounting screws incorrectly & I wonder if you had a long enough screw and instead of using one of the mounting holes (on a psu) you accidentally went into one of the vent holes in a psu, if you could possibly ground onto the case & create a "live" case?

when the Case mounting holes dont line up perfectly with the PSU mounting holes, and instead one or more line up with the PSU's ventilation holes....not saying thats whats happening here for sure, just a thought as this is pretty serious stuff, dont know if it would still run if it happened

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
The case gets it grounding to Earth ground through the PSU and it's power cord. Except what is inside the power supply, there should be NO AC voltages present anywhere inside the case. Period!

If you have an extra stand off under the motherboard, the most likely scenario is DC voltages running through the motherboard would get shorted to ground. That again would NOT put AC voltage anywhere.

The case's front panel power switch should ONLY have +5VDC on it.
Exactly , nothing external of the PSU should see any ac Voltage at all ,you likely have a ground issue in something , it might not even be the pc but you should try and fix it.
Another appliance in your house could also be the culprit of the current but you still shouldn't see this unless the house's ground wiring is defective somewhere in some way but electric regulations varey by country so i suppose this could be wrong info too sorry.
Could try pc at friends or family , just a volt live check , a plug in mains test is essential for you imho and a cheap multimeter or borrowed, volt stick pens are an indicator and should not be relied on ,measuring would be better even uncalibrated.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Case SS RV02
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
I've seen people thread their power supply mounting screws incorrectly & I wonder if you had a long enough screw and instead of using one of the mounting holes (on a psu) you accidentally went into one of the vent holes in a psu, if you could possibly ground onto the case & create a "live" case?

when the Case mounting holes dont line up perfectly with the PSU mounting holes, and instead one or more line up with the PSU's ventilation holes....not saying thats whats happening here for sure, just a thought as this is pretty serious stuff, dont know if it would still run if it happened

Mine looks similar : PSU is face down. It has rubber anti-vibration strip. Thumbscrews are mine own, not the original (I have them though). PSU is old, I have it since...pff 2009? 7-8 years or so. I don't have more info until I get a multi-meter or a wall pug test.

IMG_0629a.JPG

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Exactly , nothing external of the PSU should see any ac Voltage at all ,you likely have a ground issue in something , it might not even be the pc but you should try and fix it.
Another appliance in your house could also be the culprit of the current but you still shouldn't see this unless the house's ground wiring is defective somewhere in some way but electric regulations varey by country so i suppose this could be wrong info too sorry.
Could try pc at friends or family , just a volt live check , a plug in mains test is essential for you imho and a cheap multimeter or borrowed, volt stick pens are an indicator and should not be relied on ,measuring would be better even uncalibrated.

The main ground strap and rod need to be checked for bonding to the homes breaker box

Replace those case door thumb screws with regular screws. Could have a wire in the psu touching the psu case

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
if it was dc the light would't come on thats a a/c only voltage probe there is no lead on the back of it it only works in the presence of a/c

probly one of the legs in the socket shorted or leaking to ground or there is a ground fault some-ware in the home
the problem is NOT in the system if it was the system would be dead

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Mine looks similar : PSU is face down. It has rubber anti-vibration strip. Thumbscrews are mine own, not the original (I have them though). PSU is old, I have it since...pff 2009? 7-8 years or so. I don't have more info until I get a multi-meter or a wall pug test.
Try removing the upper left side screw and recheck for voltage. @jboydgolfer may have hit the nail on the head- that screw is awfully close to the AC incoming X and Y caps

See this pic from the jonnyGURU review of the 600w version of that psu:

System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit

you could try this one

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
sadly, ive seen it go WAY worse than a live case b4... :eek::cry::cry::shadedshu: or so i suspect

Last edited:
System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Check some other appliances in your home to see if it is an issue with the ground of your house. Anything with bare metal will do, dishwasher, washing machine, oven, etc