• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EMI issue, new motherboard needed?

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
I just bought a new sound card, mainly in order to compensate for the sh*tty chip in the mobo.

But that got me thinking, I have a DAC connected via fiber for mainly a couple reasons. First, the sound is awesome and I am sure to not regret the price ($150), and second was to be able to access the EMI issue I have by connecting to my speakers via fiber.

However, after purchasing a new sound card and having to throw away two RAM sticks, I have begun to wonder how this problem is affecting me. I am interested in a new system at some point, but I want to wait until X99 is available so there will be a dramatic change in performance.

In the meantime, I wonder. Is this EMI coming from the motherboard? If unsure, how can I check? I checked all the standoffs, power supply, cooler and from what I can see there should not be any issue beyond the motherboard. Then later on two RAM sticks died on me. I have been wondering about this for some time.

I am not afraid to shed 400 to bring a replacement motherboard for the rest of the setup, however I want to be sure that this will solve the problem.

Is there any valid way to verify the EMI issue on the motherboard as the source?

Last edited:
The only wire signals significantly affected by electromagnetic interference are weaker analog ones, especially those connected to microphones or magnetic phonograph cartridges of old-style vinyl record players. Strong signals, like the kind connected between amplifiers and non-powered speakers, aren't affected, and digital signals are virtually immune. Weak signals can be protected by using shielded cable, wrapping those cables around inductor cores (ferrite rods, toroid donuts), or by routing the cables away from sources of interference (lots of them on motherboards and plug-in cards.

All motherboards, from the cheapest to the most expensive, emit about the same amount of interference, unless you include pre-1980 PCs made with 2-sided circuit boards.. You can detect interference by taking a battery powered radio (no AC power cord), tuning it to dead spots or weak stations in the FM and AM bands (especially AM) , and moving it around the motherboard and also trying different orientations. You may want to have the monitor turned off while you do this. Also don't test with a super cheap PC power supply that has no line filter because it can drown out AM radio stations even for radios 20 feet away.

Reactions: xvi
System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
The only wire signals significantly affected by electromagnetic interference are weaker analog ones, especially those connected to microphones or magnetic phonograph cartridges of old-style vinyl record players. Strong signals, like the kind connected between amplifiers and non-powered speakers, aren't affected, and digital signals are virtually immune. Weak signals can be protected by using shielded cable, wrapping those cables around inductor cores (ferrite rods, toroid donuts), or by routing the cables away from sources of interference (lots of them on motherboards and plug-in cards.

All motherboards, from the cheapest to the most expensive, emit about the same amount of interference, unless you include pre-1980 PCs made with 2-sided circuit boards.. You can detect interference by taking a battery powered radio (no AC power cord), tuning it to dead spots or weak stations in the FM and AM bands (especially AM) , and moving it around the motherboard and also trying different orientations. You may want to have the monitor turned off while you do this. Also don't test with a super cheap PC power supply that has no line filter because it can drown out AM radio stations even for radios 20 feet away.

Could it be anyway related to impedance?

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Problem solved. It is a ground loop, sop I need to drop 100 to fix it with an isolator box. That is gonna suck. However, I am very happy that my motherboard is not the culprit and most important there is no need to worry about the condition of my PC components. I suppose the two RAM sticks died through sheer luck. Thanks again, guys!