• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EMI issue

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
I am having an EMI issue with my computer for the past 6 months, it has been escalating ever since and I've went through many attempts to clear it. Heres what I can tell you:

-It doesn't matter which outlet I plug in to.
-The speakers work perfectly when the computer is turned off or in use with another device.
-I have an EMI filter on the outlet.
-Headphones work with a faint scratching noise. Can hear HDD rotations, CPU activity, mouse movement, like telepathy to computers.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the power supply, as I have swapped sound cards three times in this computer's lifetime and my PSU has mixed reviews. It's a Cooler Master GX750. My motherboard has worked perfectly since the day I bought it.

Help? Please?

c_heater

Processor 965be
Motherboard 890fx
Cooling 212
Memory 1600 8gig
Video Card(s) 5870
Storage ssd 64g/ 2t wd
Display(s) hannis 28"
Case raven
Power Supply 1000w
Software win7 64
ground loops?

neutral and ground should only be connected at the service entrance (first breaker panel after the wires coming from the pole).
any sub-panel (connected after the main panel) needs to have neutral and ground separated.
many times a sub-panel will have a jumper that ties these 2 together.
if this is your setup, make sure the jumper has been removed.
if there is no sub-panel, or a sub panel with the jumper already removed, check all your outlets to make sure the bare wire for the ground is not making contact to neutral.
if all of this checks out, start unplugging everything that is plugged in throughout the house one at a time.
a damaged cord or other device could be making a connection to neutral and ground.
and for gods sake, if you have no experience with lethal voltages, call a electrician.
at the very least have a trusted friend with a WOODEN baseball bat standing by , that knows cpr, to bust you loose and jumpstart you.
good luck

System Name Coffee | Maximus
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.2 GHz with AVX, 4.8 GHz cache clock | i7 9700KF @ 5.0 GHz/4.7 GHz cache
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Formula | ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger (modded BIOS for Coffee Lake)+TPM2.0 module
Cooling Cooler Master ML240 Illusion | Cooler Master ML120L RGB
Memory 2*16 GB (32 GB) Kingston Fury Beast @3600 MHz CL17 | 4*8 GB (32 GB) HyperX Fury @3200 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB Twin Edge | Galax RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 1TB NVMe+480GB SATA SSD+2 TB HDD | Crucial P5 1TB, Crucial P1 500GB+2.5TB HDDs
Display(s) LG OLED 55 G3, 4K 120 Hz, VRR, ALLM, GSync, FreeSync | Samsung 43AU9070 4K TV, VRR, ALLM
Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB | Lianli Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE | Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX)
Power Supply ASUS ROG Strix 750G (80+ Gold) | Cooler Master MWE 650 V2 (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master MM731 19000 DPI gaming mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master CK721 65% mechanical gaming keyboard (tactile)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 |Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 MT 4200,ST 547 CPU-Z MT 4871, ST 620 | R20 MT - 4158, ST - 534, CPU-Z MT 4798, ST 603
First of all, check your household electric line. After you become sure it is ok, I think you should try a different PSU.

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
Have had the same issue, was like "static" noise in the backround. My problem was that the only grounded outlets are in the bathrooms and kitchens. But since I got an electricity meter they even changed the old wires and the EMI problem was solved.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
If you have not, try the onboard sound and see if you get the same result as your dedicated sound card.

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Tested the circuit, fully grounded. I tried switching my speaker power sources and found that it gets a lot more static when on the same bar as my PC. Could it be the PSU?

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
The PSU is probably just part of the problem. And GX750 didn't receive mixed reviews, it received shit reviews all-round. And for good reason too. I'd try to sell it to someone who doesn't know any better, and get myself a Seasonic- or Delta-made PSU.

Audio card is grounded either directly via the case or through the motherboard. The case is grounded through the PSU. You could try grounding the case to something else, just for testing purposes. I'm not sure if NZXT's paint is conductive, so if it isn't, maybe it's not properly grounded via the PSU. Test it with a continuity check on a DMM. If the paint isn't conductive, try to find an unpainted area on the case, and use a wire to connect it to a large metal object or to an outlet ground socket, see if that makes any difference.

Alternately, you could shield your sound card with a thin sheet (or a foil) of metal (tin, copper), but make sure it's coated (isolated/non-conductive), Could help with external EM fields that induce unwanted current.

System Name Lava Kitty
Processor intel i7 4930k http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Motherboard Asus x79 deluxe
Cooling H20 Parallel EK D5. Radiator: 480 Monsta 80mm pushpull
Memory Gskill-trident-X 2666mhz 16gb 4x4gb
Video Card(s) MSI GTX Titan X
Storage Samsung 850 pro 512GB. 3GB seagate storage. 1GB storage drive. 4# 300-500 GB storage drives
Display(s) Asus PA279Q, and Asus VG278HR
Case Lian Li PC-343B-XT
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX. and. Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Power Supply corsair 1200i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
Keyboard Razer black widdow 2013
Software windows 8.1 and soon windows 10
Benchmark Scores ask if u want to see http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
i had this issue, psu leaking into cabinet, try unscrewing the psu and make sure it doesnt make contact with cabinet and then try. i had AC 170 V leak into cabinet, it got fixed after a week of use with a grounded power outlet, idk why

psu i had issue with was corsair 1200i
but problem is gone now.
fun fact, having the fan up into cabinet actually did make the psu have lower temps and the power draw went down like 50 watts
compared to letting the psu get air from under cabinet

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be a possible ground loop... try plugging the speakers , pc, and other devices connected to the PC to the same outlet or power strip.
This is an Apple/Mac link, but it is informative about ground loops and the noise you describe --> Solutions for noise in the audio signal
Here is another article --> Solving Computer Audio Problems Banish Them For Good
Sometimes it takes a little detective work to hunt down the source.

Another thing you may wish to try, if you haven't, is disconnect all your audio devices (mics, headphones, audio out (TV, amps, etc.)... check the cables (no shorts, opens(on the ground side of connector & cable), or crosses), connectors are secure/snug when plugged in, and, then, plug one device in at a time and see if any of them are the cause.

You might wanna try setting your CPU Spread Spectrum to "Auto" or "Enabled" in your bios settings.
This may help with some noise in the circuits.
If you have modified your bclk changing this (if you disabled it) may affect your OC.

You may want to save your bios settings and turn off your OC then try the Spread Spectrum adjustment.

Last edited:
System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Did all the test methods like the paper trick, disconnecting headphones, and enabling onboard audio for a shot. Same results. I contacted NZXT and they are sending me free motherboard standoffs due to a past time case they had with them. I am thankful for their service especially when they placed the order as urgent.

I installed a new PSU to solve half of the problem, a new AX 760 from Corsair. Loving it.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Their sending new standoffs would confirm my thinking that the case doesn't ground the motherboard properly... Hopefully it'll solve your issue.

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
I am connected to a pair of Rokit 5s. Possible ground loop with a shielded cable? Cause it has no ferrites on it, I should get some ground lifters.

Last edited:
System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
UPDATE: I have confirmed that my monitors are experiencing ground loop. I connected my mixer and interface to my laptop instead of my tower and everything worked as advertised. The PC however is a train wreck. I considered installing the standoffs and found that the interference didn't change afterwards and that while the speakers were raging in interference, the headphones were not affected at all! Even with the rear ports! I will purchase an isolator ASAP!

I would like to thank Techpowerup for helping me with this issue. Thank you for your support!