• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Enermax Platimax 1500 W

The fight for the top spot in the 80PLUS Platinum category is raging, especially now that many OEMs started offering platinum units with over 1 kW capacity. At this time Enermax probably has the most complete Platinum series, called Platimax. Today we will test its strongest model which features monstrous 1500W capacity.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Enermax Platimax 1500W is only 230V Edition!!!

Loose voltage regulation
High ripple at 5V
Not so strong 5VSB rail
Enermax Platimax 1500W (EPM1500EGT) is only 230V-ac Edition. (US and UK need 115V-ac)
Enermax Platimax 1500W (EPM1500EGT) haven't 80PLUS Certified! "PLATIMAX title is FAKE"
Ultra high price (260€ / 335US$)

I'm sorry for ENERMAX.:(

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Yeah, it's a shame that certain countries are still sticking with lower values. It's like the AC v. DC battle, except it's taking longer and one side is quite stubborn while the other doesn't really care since they're the one that is more efficient anyway.

Last edited:
Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
It's better to use a couple of PSUs if you need over 1KW, Seasonic Platinum series is the best out there ATM, ofc the price will be higher with 2 PSUs but if you are going to run a Quad setup there is no problem :)

If it was sold in the US most likely its price would be lower than EU. Most of the times hardware is more expensive in the EU zone.

Also UK has 230VAC just different power socket. Finally I mention in the article that this unit is not 80 Plus certified because the 80 Plus organization certifies desktop PSUs only with 115VAC and not 230VAC. However judging from the results with 230VAC (where efficiency is 1-1.5% higher than with 115VAC) this unit could not hit Platinum in real life scenarios (80 Plus tests at 23C).

I think Enermax has bitten off bit more then they can chew. As usually..

Pretty much all mobos that need more than 1kW (if there are any) can take two PSUs and buying 2x 1000W SeaSonics would be probably better idea..

Enermax reminds me old muscle cars, just much less beautiful. :D

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I think Enermax has bitten off bit more then they can chew. As usually..

Pretty much all mobos that need more than 1kW (if there are any) can take two PSUs and buying 2x 1000W SeaSonics would be probably better idea..

Why would that be a better idea? Also Enermax gets high scores everywhere, so I don't really see why people are complaining.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I just love the reviews by "crmaris"... Best on the Web!

Why would that be a better idea? Also Enermax gets high scores everywhere, so I don't really see why people are complaining.

If you take a look on pure technical point of view, theres nothing that would allow Enermax to ask prices they do. Sometimes I suspect Enermax that they bribe reviewers. Cause frankly, their PSU are nothing special and generaly not much suitable for OC.

Btw. one of my stores has failure %.

Very cheap 500W from Seasonic (Seasonic SS-500ET-F3) has failure rate of 1,93% then similary priced Enermax (Enermax NAXN 500W) has failure rate of 4,76%. Not much different in higher wattage and Seasonic has sometimes under 1%.

Those % count only if they sell enough PSUs and its calculated quite fair. Tho they stopped selling some PSUs cause manufacturers werent exactly happy from them publicing failure rates. :D

If you take a look on pure technical point of view, theres nothing that would allow Enermax to ask prices they do. Sometimes I suspect Enermax that they bribe reviewers. Cause frankly, their PSU are nothing special and generaly not much suitable for OC.

Btw. one of my stores has failure %.

Very cheap 500W from Seasonic (Seasonic SS-500ET-F3) has failure rate of 1,93% then similary priced Enermax (Enermax NAXN 500W) has failure rate of 4,76%. Not much different in higher wattage and Seasonic has sometimes under 1%.

Those % count only if they sell enough PSUs and its calculated quite fair. Tho they stopped selling some PSUs cause manufacturers werent exactly happy from them publicing failure rates. :D

The thing with Enermax is that they make their PSUs by their own and sell them mostly under their brand. This leads to higher prices since they do not sell almost anything through OEM channels.

Also the platform that the MaxRevo/Platimax units utilize is really unique and with some more tuning has great potential. With the ultra quality parts that this platform uses a part of the high price is also justified.

The Enermax NAXN series is not made by Enermax but by Sirfa. Also Seasonic is one of the best OEMs along with Delta so when you compare Sirfa-Seasonic then the result is pretty obvious.

The thing with Enermax is that they make their PSUs by their own and sell them mostly under their brand. This leads to higher prices since they do not sell almost anything through OEM channels.

Also the platform that the MaxRevo/Platimax units utilize is really unique and with some more tuning has great potential. With the ultra quality parts that this platform uses a part of the high price is also justified.

The Enermax NAXN series is not made by Enermax but by Sirfa. Also Seasonic is one of the best OEMs along with Delta so when you compare Sirfa-Seasonic then the result is pretty obvious.

Ah, that explains a lot. Didnt knew Enermax is outside OEM business, though they do some too. Well now Im a tiny bit more informed. Thank you. :)

@ crmaris , Man I love the review !!! Great methodology .
Guys don't rely on 80Plus . It has many bugs.
Enermax is so good , but just because of huge amount of advertising which comes to users , make them believe that Enermax is the best.

Barney

Enermax Platimax 1500W is only 230V Edition!!!

Loose voltage regulation
High ripple at 5V
Not so strong 5VSB rail
Enermax Platimax 1500W (EPM1500EGT) is only 230V-ac Edition. (US and UK need 115V-ac)
Enermax Platimax 1500W (EPM1500EGT) haven't 80PLUS Certified! "PLATIMAX title is FAKE"
Ultra high price (260€ / 335US$)

I'm sorry for ENERMAX.:(

For a start, the UK has AC 240 volts, so that is incorrect.
Secondly, since it achieves it's platinum efficiency (OK only at 240V) it is a platinum PSU for all 240v markets. Since it is only being sold in 240v countries, it does not matter. Methinks you are just jealous.
Thirdly, since I picked up a brand new one of these on special for $150 Australian (US$110), it is the best piece of kit in my PC - value for money.
It is as quiet as a mouse, I have a overclocked i7 with 2x overclocked 290x's and overclocked RAM with everything watercooled and plenty of fans and other gadgets. So it is working at about 50% load - it's peak efficiency. Also quite efficient when not under any load (idling, checking emails, etc). Which is perfect for my needs.
Plus it will not only fit normal ATX cases, but because of it's size, I had it fitted into a mini itx case for a little while. Try doing that with other high output PSU's. It means I only need one PSU to fit a lot of different situations.
Very well rounded product for the price!
Great job Enermax.

Barney

I think that they are just jealous of the fact that we use a more efficient voltage than they do. So they look instead to complain and defame. Just look what the US did to pints and gallons, if you get a pint in Australia, England or any other non American influenced country, the pints and gallons are significantly larger. No wonder they are upset, less beer in the glass.

zenstrive

I am sorry if I resurrect old thread, but can this PSU be used in a threadripper system? it has low price for its capacity.