• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Enermax SpineRex

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The SpineRex is the latest, full tower chassis from Enermax. Taking its name from the top spine cover, we dig deeper to see if the cool, multi-mode and multi-LED fans are trying to draw your focus away from something, or if they are the triumphant sights of a cool chassis.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
Like how hard can it be to design a decent case, just ask a few gamers what they want, see the competition, try building a setup inside to see difficulties, imcompats. I should start a decent case business

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Like how hard can it be to design a decent case, just ask a few gamers what they want, see the competition, try building a setup inside to see difficulties, imcompats. I should start a decent case business

It is not as simple as that...if you want to build up a chassis from the ground up, you need

a) the man power (ie your own staff not the factory workers)
b) roughly around 150000 USD for tooling costs (as the machines need to be programmed to cut and stamp the parts you need, which - if you want a unique case, are like the plates of the Dollar bills...holy to you. And an assembly line, which churns out your cases and nothing else is expensive too.
c) Molds - cost money too
d) assembly costs at the factory of your choice (they want money too you know ^^)
e) Q&A - the first case off the assembly line will be crap...retooling and redesign needed
f) RMA structure
g) Distributors

So you need to push a crap load of cases to get your money back and you need to have to invest the money in the first place. My guess 250000+ USD to get an all new chassis produced, then you need to market it, imagine you make a margin of say 33% on each case, which you sell to the distributor at 60 USD (then add shipping by sea, customs and fees, you end up with around 80 USD costs for each case "landed" in the market. So the end user price of such a case will be 99-109 USD + tax for example.

So you would need to sell 12500 cases just to break even with your initial costs and not considering RMA and the likes. A single case of that retail price only sells with these numbers from the big players in the market. Smaller, super cheap cases will sell in larger volume in a market like the EU over the stretch of a year, because of system integrators, but that is it...

My numbers may be off, but you get the idea...

Take out the tooling and thus other aspects like Q&A and the likes, you are down to what...40-50000 USD from start to finish - if at all? Odds are you won't be selling the number of cases like the big players in the market, so you basically have to watch your bottom line...