• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Entire computer freezes when trying to run gpuz?

Cornpop16

So about a month ago I was using gpuz just fine to check my gpu load while playing in a game. I saw it was too high, so I went out and bought a new gpu, but now anytime I try to start a game while running gpuz about 30-60 seconds into the game my entire computer freezes, and I have to literally unplug my PC to fix the issue.

One thing I've noticed is that when I open gpuz, it doesn't have the correct name of my graphics card. It's saying I have an AMD Radeon R9 M360, but I've never put that kind of card anywhere near my PC. My old card was an AMD Radeon HD 6570, and my new one is an AMD Radeon R7 250.

I've never had it crash when I wasn't in a game (although to be fair I haven't had it running much when I'm not in a game) And I have yet to try it with any game other than TF2, and it always freezes up either as I'm connecting to a server, or immediately after I've connected. Don't know how much of that is relevant but thought I should mention it.

All I want to do is be able to watch my gpu load while playing a game to see how much of a difference the new graphics card made. If anyone has any ideas to how I could stop it from freezing my PC that would be much appreciated.

There is something everyone should do when they get a new gpu.

It's that one should run DDU (google it), reboot, (re)install gpu driver.

Have you done that?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Try turning off all sensors except for gpu load and see if that makes a difference (click the little black down arrow)