• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[EOL] Arctic MX-5 is here!!Tests incoming! Completed. Now its MX-6 testing time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Msi PC
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI b550 gaming gen 3
Cooling deepcool gammaxx 200t (deepcool z10 paste)
Memory 32(4x8) gb g.skill 3200 (qvl)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 8GB Ventus 2X OC
Storage Ssd Crucial mx500 500 gb
Display(s) Philips 222V8LA/00 dp 75 hz freesync
Case Q-Tech Hermes 1004 (4x12cm fans)
Audio Device(s) Audigy fx pcie
Power Supply Corsair cv 750w bronze
Mouse PATRIOT PV530OULK VIPER V530 (500hz)
Keyboard Gigabyte force k81
Software Windows 11
In this card i tried now a paste that is very hard, AKASA AK-T565. I will monitor how it will end.
For information deepcool z9 , deepcool g40, mx-4, mx-5 , ceramique 2 eventually all failed. (mx-4 one week, mx-5 6 months, deepcoll 2-3 months).
Also the fanny thing is that i found an old tube of mx-1 from pentium 4 era i put in the t420 sandybridge laptop and it was the only paste that it was not degraded. Mx-1 is the same product with shin-etsu g751.
Then they come with mx-2 that is their product.
For information only. The akasa ak-t565 is a good product, a click above the other that i tried. It pump out a little in a rx580 gpu. It can do 3d mark stress test at 75 celsiou without throttling and fan at 60%.
Now i try the akasa AK-TC5026 that is the same product with dowsil tc-5026. Now first day it can do 3d mark stress test at 75 celsiou and fan at 42%.

1.jpg

Last edited:
System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Quick test on old celeron:
View attachment 249653

Just a tiny drop, no oil separation at all.

View attachment 249655
First of all, you are conducting your experiment at room temperature. That is not the typical operating environment of a CPU.

The oil separation is probably happening at higher temperatures and might be exacerbated by temperature deltas between high operating temperature and when the system is turned off.

The Core i7 in my Mac mini 2018 will reach almost 100 °C, the maximum operating temperature of the CPU. Apple designed this system to use the CPU's full TDP. What is the ambient temperature in the room at night? Maybe 20 °C thus an eighty degree range. And Apple quotes a lower temperature for storage.

According to Arctic's note, this oil separation is causing premature drying of the thermal compound. This likely happens after extended usage, not something that happens immediately after application otherwise they would have noted it in their lab tests with prototype pastes.

Remember that thermal grease isn't the only thing that suffers from oil separation.

A slab of bacon has been hanging in room for months and months without oil separation. Put that slab on your kitchen counter overnight. Nothing will happen. Put that slab in roasting pan and throw into a 90 °C (195 °F) oven overnight. There will be a puddle of oil. That's oil separation. Throw a chocolate bar into the refrigerator for a few weeks; that white bloom on the outside is cocoa butter that has migrated to the exterior.

If you cook or bake regularly, you'll be quite familiar with oil separation and how materials vary in behavior based on temperature and age. Heavy cream whips better when very cold but egg whites are better when warmed up. In fact, older egg whites are better for whipping up than whites from freshly laid eggs. There's a lot of chemistry and physics involved in cooking; a good cook is a keen observer even if they don't have a chemistry or physics degree.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Thermalright Frost Commander 140
Memory 2x16 3200@3733 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT WindForce OC 6G (GV-R56XTWF2OC)
Storage Some
Display(s) Acer XV280K
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze
Mouse Logitech G502SE
Keyboard Ajazz AK35i with AKKO CS Rose Red Switches and white YMDK PBT keys
Someday I will make my own thermal paste. :cool:
It will be a mix of Krytox + Graphene powder.

TheEugeneKam

Sad about mx-5. My opinion is I think it got so much bad press, they just pulled the plug with everyone avoiding it just to be safe.

I tried two different tunes of TFX on my MBP 2016 and temps keep going back to a 100 even with a custom fan profile after about 2 months, same with master gel maker, all Noctua pastes and another one that I can't recall at the moment.

Just ordered SYY 157, mx-5 and TF8 as I have seen good results with other than TFX.

Which one yall think I should try first with the best chance of success. The heat sync on mac requires like an hour as it's on the other side of the logic board and takes ages to take everything apart.

Anyone has any good experience with macs specifically as the airflow is absolute trash in the intel models.

UPDATE:
So I got MX-5 in main first. Looks like a good batch to me. It is both easier and worse to work with as it's more fluid than TFX. It's really stringy, so I had to use the ice cream cone method not to get strings of paste all over the place.

Had some time to do a fresh repaste on my work Dell machine as it takes a few minutes to do. So far performance is actually 1 degree lower than fresh TFX and 10 degrees better than the TFX 4-month-old TFX. It seems to transfer heat faster maybe as my fresh TFX application did thermal throttle by 2 percent running aida64 for the first few seconds, no such thing with this paste.

In summary, my temps went from 80-81 to 79-80 with mx-5. Not sure how it will hold up, but tfx certainly didn't.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sad about mx-5. My opinion is I think it got so much bad press, they just pulled the plug with everyone avoiding it just to be safe.

I tried two different tunes of TFX on my MBP 2016 and temps keep going back to a 100 even with a custom fan profile after about 2 months, same with master gel maker, all Noctua pastes and another one that I can't recall at the moment.

Just ordered SYY 157, mx-5 and TF8 as I have seen good results with other than TFX.

Which one yall think I should try first with the best chance of success. The heat sync on mac requires like an hour as it's on the other side of the logic board and takes ages to take everything apart.

Anyone has any good experience with macs specifically as the airflow is absolute trash in the intel models.

Hmm, I never thought about this because I have never used macbooks... makes sense though if you know what you are doing and have the tools to do it. I honestly have no idea, honestly all of them will probably be within 1-2 celsius of each other so it doesn't matter which you go. I'd recommend use the mx-5, not sure why you bought so many if you don't intend to test them all

TheEugeneKam

I have 3 desktops in the house, and I build a bunch of my buddies as they are getting to a couple of years old so I will use the paste for that, no paste wasted! I'll do some more tests with other pastes shortly as my work laptop loves to run warm with me jumping from meeting to meeting while running code and doing data things. so im sure if mx-5 does pump out it will become obvious pretty quickly.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have 3 desktops in the house, and I build a bunch of my buddies as they are getting to a couple of years old so I will use the paste for that, no paste wasted! I'll do some more tests with other pastes shortly as my work laptop loves to run warm with me jumping from meeting to meeting while running code and doing data things. so im sure if mx-5 does pump out it will become obvious pretty quickly.

I'd use mx-5 for macbook, and syy 157 for gaming desktop. again. it doesn't matter though probably.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme, the nice pink bubblegum stuff, seems it's working fine though. :D

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The DOWSIL TC-5026 data (referenced in the post above) needed about 9000 cycles before things stop changing; took them 9 weeks using 10 min cycles

Attachments

• DOWSIL.jpg
    DOWSIL.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
First of all, you are conducting your experiment at room temperature. That is not the typical operating environment of a CPU.
When you start out with things like this, you immediately disqualify anything that follows. PC's, the VAST majority of the time, are operating at "room" temps. And for the record, oil "seperation" doesn't happen until well above 150C for most substances that would be used in a PC/technology application. It's a chemistry thing.

For information only. The akasa ak-t565 is a good product, a click above the other that i tried. It pump out a little in a rx580 gpu. It can do 3d mark stress test at 75 celsiou without throttling and fan at 60%.
Now i try the akasa AK-TC5026 that is the same product with dowsil tc-5026. Now first day it can do 3d mark stress test at 75 celsiou and fan at 42%.

View attachment 250386
That looks interesting. Would you have a link for that screenshot?

Memory 16GB DDR3
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
When you start out with things like this, you immediately disqualify anything that follows. PC's, the VAST majority of the time, are operating at "room" temps.
Not to start an argument, but I would recommend rereading that. It spreads well at 72 degrees, but a product with *potential* separation issues *may* not see this issue until the paste (not the room) experiences higher temperatures.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Interesting.
Not to start an argument, but I would recommend rereading that. It spreads well at 72 degrees, but a product with *potential* separation issues *may* not see this issue until the paste (not the room) experiences higher temperatures.
No CPU is ever going to get hot enough to cause "oil separation" for a properly engineered TIM, or even some of the cheap stuff. It just doesn't happen like that.

(no idea what to do with 1kg TIM though...) :laugh:
Right? I don't think I've used that much TIM collectively over the space of my career/life.

Last edited:

TheEugeneKam

So, decided to skip leg day as everyone else does and tore the MacBook apart. The sustained temperature for the idle is about the same as aged TFX. however playing back some 4k footage, last night I was hitting 100 almost instantly. after mx-5 im hitting 81. So far at least 20 degrees difference in bursty workflow. Let's see how long this will take to pump out. Also, i don't know what to do with 1kg of paste. I got like 50Gs and am already giving some away to homies to use.

So far it looks like mx-5 performs on par with fresh TFX within margin of error. 1 degree. Let's see if it lasts.

Last edited:
Memory 16GB DDR3
Anyone going to compare the $10 (3.5g) TC-5026 to MX-5?

TC-5026 seems cheaper

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
No CPU is ever going to get hot enough to cause "oil separation" for a properly engineered TIM, or even some of the cheap stuff.
Absolutely! There just seems to be concern that the production is not always up to engineering spec, that's all.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
When you start out with things like this, you immediately disqualify anything that follows. PC's, the VAST majority of the time, are operating at "room" temps.
You don't get it, do you?

When the thermal paste is applied on a cold CPU, yes, both are at room temperature. Within seconds of turning on the computer, the CPU is already above room temperature. That heat transfers to the IHS as well as the exterior thermal solution (pad, grease, heatsink, waterblock, maybe a combination of many).

Arctic MX-5 does not remain at room temperature on a CPU in operation.

Go ahead and fire up a typical contemporary desktop PC with a bare CPU. I bet you the computer tries to shut itself down in a minute or two. And please feel free to touch the bare CPU just before it does. Leave your finger on there for a few seconds. I'm sure the sensation will be one that you richly deserve.

Then take your finger off the CPU and use it to operate a laser thermometer. Point it at the ready-to-shutdown CPU and measure the temperature. That would be the temperature of a thermal grease applied to that surface.

And for the record, oil "seperation" doesn't happen until well above 150C for most substances that would be used in a PC/technology application. It's a chemistry thing.
Unfortunately, Arctic selected an oil for MX-5 that does separate below 150C. I'm sure they didn't mean to but the crux of the problem is they did. Arctic admitted it themselves and they deliberately put the product into EOL status.

I didn't tell Arctic they made a bad product. They told us they made a bad product.

And it was probably mostly a financial decision. What is a tube of MX-5 at retail? About $8? What are COGS? Let's say $5. So Arctic has a gross margin of $3 per tube (let's remove wholesale distribution out of the equation). But every time there's an MX-5 RMA, the administrative cost (replacement product, staff salaries, shipping and logistics) to send out a replacement tube is probably around $18-20. So all of a sudden, Arctic needs to sell 6-7 more tubes of MX-5 to cover the expense of just one RMA.

Arctic probably has a good idea of the failure rate of MX-5 now based on more extended testing in their own labs and their RMA volume. Continuing to sell MX-5 likely pointed to continued expense and headaches for Arctic so they killed it off. Themselves.

The fact that you have not seen problems with your own tubes of MX-5 is irrelevant. Arctic acknowledged the problem and decided that killing of their own product was the best way to handle it.

Unfortunately Chomiq's test was useless. I can spread a paste with oil in it at room temperature and not see any oil separation. But if that paste changes temperatures, it can change and sometimes this leads to oil separation. If you ever spend any time in the kitchen, you'd know this.

Chomiq could have spread peanut butter, Nutella or mayonnaise on the CPU and not see fat separation. Great. That doesn't mean fat separation can't occur at a different temperature.

Could we expect to see oil separation from a CPU in operation using Nutella as thermal grease? I'm sure most people here would probably say yes. Could we expect to see it from a CPU using MX-5 as thermal grease? Most people at the start of this thread (March 2021) would have said no, but over time, more and more people did. In fact, so did Arctic eventually.

Maybe you're frustrated that Arctic killed off a thermal grease that you liked. Well Arctic liked it too (and the revenue it generated) until the RMAs started piling up.

Ultimately Arctic did the right thing: take a defective product off the market.

My guess is some day Arctic will launch MX-6 but I bet they will test for oil separation very, Very, VERY thoroughly before they do.

Last edited:

TheEugeneKam

Wow, MX-5 is truly an astounding product! Pumped out literally in hours. I'm already back to 95C. I think SYY is the next one I'm going to try today or tomorrow.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Wow, MX-5 is truly an astounding product! Pumped out literally in hours. I'm already back to 95C. I think SYY is the next one I'm going to try today or tomorrow.
Impressive..

I am surprised with your TFX results.. SYY should work well. Dont plant the cooler on right away, let it sit for a few minutes and then mount it. It is pretty decent stuff, I thought TFX was pretty good, better than SYY.. but not by much.. especially for the price.

System Name Black Diamond
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Motherboard msi a320 a pro max
Cooling Default
Memory 32 GB ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Rtx 2070, 86 F no extra fans or stuff.
Storage nvme samsung (the fastest one) 1tb
Display(s) Some sceptre monitor and a tv
Case rosewill
Power Supply rosewill
Mouse Verbatim
Keyboard Magic wings
Software Lots
Benchmark Scores IDk
this is still running when this item was being talked about 3 months ago

TheEugeneKam

I’m surprised with TFX as well. I guess SYY is the next one and if that fails I’ll try tf8. Will let it sit. Instructions say 15 min so gonna follow it perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.