• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EPIC Announces 100M Subscribed Users to EPIC Games Store in Just One Year of Operation

D

Deleted member 177333

I am all for fair competition in this arena, but I dislike the Exclusivity of games per each platform. Nothing should be exclusive except Valve games stay on Steam and Epic games stay on there platform.

Yep, agree completely. That's why I will never buy games from Epic. I don't like the way they bribe publishers to exclude stores like GOG & Steam, so I'll just play their games somewhere else for a "hefty" discount.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just as I've been a big fan of GOG since it was called Good Old Games and only sold patched oldie titles I'm a fan of anything that breaks the game sales market into more pieces. Not feeding more cash to Gabe Newell is just icing on the cake. I still buy from Steam, but now there's actually the option to shop around. Love it. Valve was great once, but they have long since used up any goodwill they earned. Now, I'm not saying Epic is the best company ever by any stretch of the imagination, but the whole point is that there's no longer a virtual monopoly, and it's great. Also, everyone should start using the GOG Galaxy 2.0 launcher to join their various game libraries into one - it's awesome!

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
Yep, agree completely. That's why I will never buy games from Epic. I don't like the way they bribe publishers to exclude stores like GOG & Steam, so I'll just play their games somewhere else for a "hefty" discount.
Yeah. No. You don't get to justify piracy.

Although I think it's a shaky argument, I have no problem with someone taking a moral stance against exclusivity, and refusing to support and purchase games from Epic. But you throw that moral high ground in the garbage when you then say you're okay with theft.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
So, let's see:
Having an idea early(-ish), cornering the market and giving developers shitty margins while raking in billions in profits and giving extremely little back to users = fair and good business practices
Paying developers well to sell their work at competitive prices in order to establish a viable competitor in the market and break a virtual monopoly while maintaining a healthy production industry = bribery.

Yeah, I don't subscribe to that logic.

Im not saying it's Steam's fault they haven't had viable competitors before (most alternatives are still rather poor, and a lot have been downright garbage), or trying to take away any credit for the work they did building up Steam to be the platform it is today (a lot of features, some of them very good, and first to make a lot of it mass-market) but that doesn't mean they deserve no competition either. I really don't understand why people are so damn beholden to Steam. It's a storefront owned by a former developer, now money hoarding company, led by a former legendary game developer, now generally unpleasant rich person/money hoarder. Buy from them if you want, or don't, or shop around - do whatever you like. But stop portraying companies presenting legitimate competitive threats to the current leader as somehow morally bad. That just shows bias. Valve is no better than anyone else.

D

Deleted member 177333

Although I think it's a shaky argument, I have no problem with someone taking a moral stance against exclusivity, and refusing to support and purchase games from Epic. But you throw that moral high ground in the garbage when you then say you're okay with theft.

You know, I hadn't sailed a boat in like 20+ years until very recently, but this is just one of those things that rubs me the wrong way enough to decide to hit back. You may have differing views on how to approach Epic's exclusivity, and I totally respect your right to do so. Happy gaming, brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
Just as I've been a big fan of GOG since it was called Good Old Games and only sold patched oldie titles I'm a fan of anything that breaks the game sales market into more pieces. Not feeding more cash to Gabe Newell is just icing on the cake. I still buy from Steam, but now there's actually the option to shop around. Love it. Valve was great once, but they have long since used up any goodwill they earned. Now, I'm not saying Epic is the best company ever by any stretch of the imagination, but the whole point is that there's no longer a virtual monopoly, and it's great. Also, everyone should start using the GOG Galaxy 2.0 launcher to join their various game libraries into one - it's awesome!

Its crazy so many people care so much about billionaire Newell getting richer, while criticizing the “Chinese” evil epic. Thats the reason I stopped reading wcftech. At least epic gives a lot back to the community( devs and gamers).
And Galaxy 2 is great, works a lot better than other software like razer cortex that tried to mash all your games in one place

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Users spent $251 million in third-party games. At a 12% cut it is $30 million for the EGS. But then they went and bragged about giving out $23 million in coupons that leaves a balance from third-party games at a measly $7 million.

If you factor the inane amount of games they gave away for free and the exclusivity deals it is quite clear they are hemorrhaging cash on the EGS.
They actually aren’t if you would take the time to visit the earnings report for the entire company. But I guess that isn’t in line with your narrative.

while criticizing the “Chinese” evil epic
And it’s not even Chinese, which is what is so funny. People have not actually looked past the hate and investigated the actual business relationship.

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
They actually aren’t if you would take the time to visit the earnings report for the entire company. But I guess that isn’t in line with your narrative.

And it’s not even Chinese, which is what is so funny. People have not actually looked past the hate and investigated the actual business relationship.

That would ruin their narrative. You can hear all kind of crazy things, like Paypal fraud, surveillance, generic evil behavior

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Epic Games isn't run by a Chinese gaming company. Tim Sweeney owns over 50% of Epic Games and Tencent owns 40% but Sweeney has controlling interest and the final word in everything that Epic does or doesn't do.

Sweeney has also said numerous times that Tencent is a silent partner with no access to customer data.

From the article:

The original Reddit thread called the Epic Store "literal Spyware", and said that its terms of service meant Epic could share users' data with its parent company, which the original poster claimed was Tencent. In response, Sweeney said that Tencent was not Epic's parent company—it is a minority investor and doesn't have "any sort of access to our customer data".

"Epic does not share user data with Tencent or any other company. We don’t share it, sell it, or broker access to it for advertising like so many other companies do. I’m the founder and controlling shareholder of Epic and would never allow this to happen," he said.