• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Calls For Unified Digital Games Store

Worst thing about PC gaming is having 5 different store softwares installed, not being able to actually own the games without them
I dont get why people are bothered by having 5+ different launchers installed, and making that argument on hating EGS, seriously PCs are so much faster now, 32gb ram, high capacity ssds that doubles speed every few years, 16 thread cpus are becoming a norm for gaming PCs, does it really matter if you have 10 launchers running on background? I get DRM, but launchers? Cmon... thats just laziness, make a game shortcut to your desktop ffs, that should auto launch the launcher+game.

System Name My PC
Processor AMD 2700 x @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming
Cooling Zalman CNPS20X
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE
Storage Adata Ultimate SU800
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A
Audio Device(s) Logitech G51
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 550W
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121
I agree that is a vailed monopoly proposal. Epic launcher made Steam change and beyond criticism that is good.
However, while multiple store fronts and launcher can exist customers should make only one purchase and have it available on all platforms.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Isn't the closest thing to this GOG? What the fuck is this guy talking about?

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
I thought there was one already... something called... Steam?
Is there? When was the last time you bought something from Steam on Xbox, Playstation, Switch, iOS or Android? :D

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Preferably one that exclusively uses Steamworks, right? :wtf:

How about just having support for integration of moddb and nexusmods :O

We can dream

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
I agree that is a vailed monopoly proposal. Epic launcher made Steam change and beyond criticism that is good.
However, while multiple store fronts and launcher can exist customers should make only one purchase and have it available on all platforms.
Isn't the closest thing to this GOG? What the fuck is this guy talking about?
Again, since there is some context next to the snippet in the news bit:
Tim Sweeney said:
“What the world really needs now is a single store that works with all platforms,” Sweeney said in an interview in Seoul on Tuesday. “Right now software ownership is fragmented between the iOS App Store, the Android Google Play marketplace, different stores on Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch, and then Microsoft Store and the Mac App Store.” Epic is working with developers and service providers to create a system that would allow users “to buy software in one place, knowing that they’d have it on all devices and all platforms.”

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
he wants "freedom" for players.
pays 150 million dollars to make games at least time exclusive on epic to take away the freedom of choice.

now he wants to fight against the evil monopoly from apple, google and steam.
starts to work on a single platform for every platform on the world.

tim sweeney is a complete joke.

Did you notice that this complete joke is leading the fight against anti competitive practices? And raking in victories? In-App purchasing is already something Apple can't block anymore. And Apple's losing more battles, such as right to repair - it falls in a similar train of thought: product ownership and how far are platform-tentacles and ecosystems allowed to expand.

Tim Sweeney is a logical thinker. The platform economy needs a layer where all the content comes together so the end users have one simple interface to talk to. Or are you happy with a launcher and store for every game you want to play? All updating separately, all with separate logins, their own 2FA's... etc etc.

What matters is how a platform is managed. I can totally see a marketplace that is unified and all participants (publishers, devs) share in its continued development and keeping it up and running. Your % share determines your % visibility on it. Everyone can market their own stuff outside of the platform and direct customers to the same place when they want to buy. The separate vendor specific platforms, including Steam, can still run underneath it. It also insta-solves the distribution war/cost stuff: everyone pays by their % of usage of said platform and can work it out in their product pricing. No new commissions required. So that also means Epic, Steam and other open platforms can still compete there - but they'll do it outside of customer reach, where it should be. And since they're managing a lot in the unified layer now, they can also reduce their commissions, cost goes down.

As for games being exclusive, welcome to the world, stop being so naive. Exclusivity is being used since day one of commerce to generate customer base. The competitive battle here is not with us, consumers, it is a battle between digital distributors. Somehow idiot gamur communities have made it their war, its very much reddit/social media stupidity and circlejerk at work. Are you part of the flock of sheep? Think twice. There isn't anything more to it than that - publishers are still their own companies and they see the same things Sweeney does. They want this. So the crybaby gamers are really on their own island of reasoning here.

Here's an example of how that might look:

Let's face it. For gaming this whole affair is no different than what happened with publisher exclusivity on... say, on-demand video. We now have several hands full of streaming services, so what do they get? People are going to use one or two, pay monthly sub, and kill the others or never get to them. For gaming, cloud services are also moving to sub models, so the same stuff will apply even if they lure you in with nearly free months right now. You can't carry away your entire paycheck to subs, you can only play so much... so again, a unified platform where you pay per usage is an infinitely better way for everyone to get a piece of the pie. Its a win-win-win situation, and its old thinking that is holding us back. Also, we can't dismiss that ALL entertainment through on-demand is actually competing with itself. Its all screen time.

The internet can overcome those stupid boundaries. And if it doesn't... we'll just hack shit and get it anyway. History repeats. Sweeney knows this. He wants to remove the boundaries because it makes the market and innovation better and more accessible. That's his story - ever since Unreal Engine and it echoes in most things 'Epic'.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
How about just having support for integration of moddb and nexusmods :O

We can dream
One can dream.

I too would love this.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
EPIC ?

Nope
Are you actively blacklisting games that use the Unreal Engine as well?

Or are you just a faker like everyone else who hates Epic?

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I think it's an amazing idea, but obviously greed will never make it be a thing. And i'm sure it's no one's particular fault, if Epic was in Steam's shoes the roles would just be reversed.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Tim Sweeney is a logical thinker. The platform economy needs a layer where all the content comes together so the end users have one simple interface to talk to. Or are you happy with a launcher and store for every game you want to play?

Separate launchers are annoying, but not a big issue. I bet that most people would be happy by not having to log in to UPlay/Origin/Rockstar/whatever platform, when they launch their games on Steam or any other service.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
This new system would allow games purchased from any ecosystem to be fully playable on all supported platforms without requiring multiple purchases. The success of this vision is entirely dependent on game studios signing up to the program which will likely be a hard sell given the expected fall in sales.

I could see a single digital platform for PC gaming and then one for Consoles.

Everything would just be lumped into one platform for PC games or consoles - there would be no loss of sales, only a change in where all the sales came from.

If you wish to get a game on the PC, the sale would be done at one location for everyone. If 1,000,000 copies were sold off one platform vs 250,000/250,000/250,000/250,000 copies were sold across 4 platforms, the developer would still see sales from 1,000,000 copies...there would be no loss of sales.

The only loss would be is that a company, such as Steam, wouldn't be pulling in their 30% cut from the sales or EPIC wouldn't be pulling in their 15% cut (or whatever it is) from sales. This would be the hard sell for these digital platforms....give up their easy money.

How many digital platforms can we buy from today that are required to be logged into the platform so the game runs off their launcher? Steam, Origin, Uplay, EGS (I hear some games require it, but I'm not 100% certain), Blizzard/Activision, Bethesda.....I'm sure I'm missing others.

How many digital platforms can we buy from today that don't require a launcher to run a game? GoG, Itchi.io (???).... are there more? (I don't venture out past GoG for this feature so I'm not sure)

The point is, more and more launchers are coming and some have come and gone, such as Stardock's digital platform (which was changed to Impluse, then purchased by GameStop and eventually the platform was discontinued around 2014) that I did make use of when Galactic Civilization 2 came out. I had purchased a couple of games off of it and had a handful other other games that I could link through it....I don't recall whatever happened to the games I purchased off it. I guess those games are just lost to me because the digital platform is no longer around.

If there was a way to universally lump all games into one digital platform and not require multiple launchers for each individual developer or digital distributor that would be ideal. However, I don't see this ever happening. If you think about, trading in multiple platforms for 1:
Who would house the platform?
How would that company get money to support that 1 platform?
How much money would it need to support that 1 platform?
How would that platform be regulated and who would regulate it?
Who would police and be able to hold companies accountable that try to launch their own platform over joining this one?

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
lol can you imagine Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Take Two and the rest of publishers even considering this? lol no way, they want you to buy the same game on each platform and preferrably several times over. What a clown Tim. The idea is great but good luck with actually making it real. He is probably just after some sympathy or pro consumer PR.

I dont get why people are bothered by having 5+ different launchers installed, and making that argument on hating EGS, seriously PCs are so much faster now, 32gb ram, high capacity ssds that doubles speed every few years, 16 thread cpus are becoming a norm for gaming PCs, does it really matter if you have 10 launchers running on background? I get DRM, but launchers? Cmon... thats just laziness, make a game shortcut to your desktop ffs, that should auto launch the launcher+game.

Because I want to have a custom menu on my taskbar with all the games installed, click on one and start playing it immediatly, without it opening a software first saying "logging in", "check our weekend offer!!!" "Are you sure you want to play that game instead or checking out our New cool free to play battle Royal?"

Because I don't want Steam or Origin using 10% of my cpu and making my game performance worse. Yes it happens even on 16t cpus, that has been tested. Quake Champions, for example, has a 15% performance Hit by running with steam compared with self launcher you get from bethesda

Because I dont want to be prompted with daily updates for the software that runs games

Because I want full control over launch options for my .exe without the software trying to impose theirs

Because I want my own overlays if needed

Because I want to configure my controller the way i want and not how steam wants it to behave

Because When I close a game, now I need to close the software that also was opened when I started the game shortcut

Because I want to own my games, move them from disk to disk and computer to computer without software telling me I used too many hardware IDs to play that game

Because I want or have to be completly offline and still access all my games without restrictions

And a lot of other reasons

Launchers are a plague. Consoles have a clear advantage on that front. GOG is way ahead any other company too.

Reason I still use PC for games is the fact I found great and reliable FTPs with all pirated games

Last edited:
Thank fuck! Yes, please!!!

Because it's unintuitive, inefficient (In many ways, including system power consumption) and a general pain in the ass? I don't hate any single platform. I just hate the fact that I have to have half a dozen of them.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
"What the world really needs now is a single store that works with all platforms" Tim Sweeney

Sounds more like he wants to destroy the competition from the key shops. ;) If he wants a "ecosystem to be fully playable on all supported platforms without requiring multiple purchases", then we don't need 1 shopping window for everything, we only need a ecosystem that shares the game licenses for every system. Something like that already exists, it's called "Microsoft Account". Buy f.e. Forza Horizon 5 for your Microsoft Account & you can play it on Windows or your xBox (incl. shared archievments).

His idea would only drive up PC game prices. Not my cup of tea. I like capitalist competition. Bet this guy hates GG.Deals, lol. :D Man love love this site.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
"What the world really needs now is a single store that works with all platforms" Tim Sweeney

Sounds more like he wants to destroy the competition from the key shops. ;) If he wants a "ecosystem to be fully playable on all supported platforms without requiring multiple purchases", then we don't need 1 shopping window for everything, we only need a ecosystem that shares the game licenses for every system. Something like that already exists, it's called "Microsoft Account". Buy f.e. Forza Horizon 5 for your Microsoft Account & you can play it on Windows or your xBox (incl. shared archievments).

His idea would only drive up PC game prices. Not my cup of tea. I like capitalist competition. Bet this guy hates GG.Deals, lol. :D Man love love this site.
thanks for that link. Never heard of GG.deals.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Well the first thing is to fix their broken system. Anytime you have to reset Windows or more recently update to Windows 11. We all know that you will have to either re-download or make a new folder on a different drive and start the download before you can move the data to get to play your game. That was not too bad 2 years ago but 2+ years of Free Games every Friday now means literally about 1.5 TB of data (BTW that does not include updates). Steam, Orign, Uplay and GOG do not have this problem or issue. A special mention for GOG. Doom Eternal was a Bethesda platform Game when I bought it and needed that when I updated to Windows 11. If GOG were saying this I would be all for it. Other than the free Games and what they have done for devs Epic actually sucks as a Gaming platform.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
thanks for that link. Never heard of GG.deals.

But be cautious where you shop. The "Official Stores" on the top are safe, for the key shops you need to look for the "Risk Rating".

I did only buy from offical stores & from "CDKeys.com" (risk rating 1). Super flawless till now. :cool:
If you like it cheaper (and riskier) check for bad reviews first on Trustpilot.com. Some are a real gamble.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
But be cautious where you shop. The "Official Stores" on the top are safe, for the key shops you need to look for the "Risk Rating".

I did only buy from offical stores & from "CDKeys.com" (risk rating 1). Super flawless till now. :cool:
If you like it cheaper (and riskier) check for bad reviews first on Trustpilot.com. Some are a real gamble.
thanks for the heads-up. I will be careful.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Separate launchers are annoying, but not a big issue. I bet that most people would be happy by not having to log in to UPlay/Origin/Rockstar/whatever platform, when they launch their games on Steam or any other service.

Exactly. Steam is really something similar wrt the double drm. But... it has no weight in it. If Uplay fails, or Origin, you're left hanging. That wont change, unless you give a unified platform more control. If it handles authentication the biggest hurdle is already gone.

Processor Intel Core i3 8350K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z370-P
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.C
Memory 12GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB DDR5 128bits
Storage 2TB + 2TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 794MB
Software Tubuntu 22.04 LTS x64 + Windows 8.1 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 Single Thread: 215 points
TimSweeney-gif.gif

:)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I am from the 90s where I created a c:/games folder with 100 games installed, games that were actually MINE with no one forcing me to install launchers.
Oh man... time and time again I realize how misleading can nostalgia really be....

I think these days are the most convenient for gaming, and honestly - f$%^ all this crying about "not owning things". I despise all the times where I had to buy a new game when my CDs got a few scratches cause you need to put it in every time you wanted to launch a game, I start sweating blood every time I think of Starforce and other early DRMs, and I sure don't miss having to call somewhere to "activate" my product. Also, pirating in 2021 is stupid. The only argument I understand is lack of demos which may or may not affect your purchasing decision, but pirating for the sake of pirating is without exaggeration - absolutely objectively stupid. You wanna risk becoming a part of a worldwide botnet for the sake of not paying for "not real ownership"? You want to lose your personal data and financial info to chinese or russian hackers cause you are too lazy to get some free games on Epic, or too cheap to splurge a few bucks on Steam's seasonal sale? Or you feel really generous and want to give some of your compute resources to random crypto-malware?

Hell, the concept of renting games or having game subscriptions is about as old as mainstream gaming. I remember back in elementary school you didn't even have to own a console - you can go to a place at a local mall or a shady booth at the local bazar, rent a Dendi or Sega Megadrive for a weekend along with couple of games(though you had to leave some sort of collateral in most cases), have some fun, and return it on monday before school. Americans even had more convenient options, like Gamestop or short-lived Gamefly (e.g. Netflix for games).
Even my 72y.o. stepdad isn't that stubborn, and plays his favorite RTS games on Steam, Origin and GOG, just like everyone else.

My Steam account has been alive for nearly 15 years, and I do accept the risk that if someday it closes - I lose all games. Just like I accept the risk of losing my physical media after tornado or break-in.