• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Error reporting on tutorial

Serbius

Bsod!

So I followed your tutorial in order to change the fan profiles of my newly aquired Radeon HD 6970 graphics card. I was getting frustrated because CCC doesn't have proper fan profile control and I don't like running 3rd party controllers so I took a bios image with GPU-Z and then edited it using RBE to my liking. I then attempted to flash the bios using WinFlash. It said successful and asked me to restart. Upon restarting I have a blue screen of death after the "Starting Windows" animation and a mention to "atikmpag.sys". I cannot access windows now. In an attempt to fix this issue I tried to manually flash the bios through DOS using your tutorial and was told that that BIOS was already present. I am currently reloading windows but I'm very concerned that somehow I've ruined my video card. Any advice would be helpful.

w00tie

System Name MyRig
Processor Intel Core I7 950 @ 4.1Ghz - 1.257v
Motherboard Asus Rampage Extreme III
Cooling Watercooling (XSPC Rasa - 240 RS Rad)
Memory 6GB Dominator GT 1600Mhz 7-7-720 (CMG6GX3M3A1600C7)
Video Card(s) 2 x Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2Gb unlocked
Storage 2 x OCZ Vertrex II (Raid 0) - 2 x Samsung F3 500gb (Raid 0) - 1 x WD Green 2TB (WD20EADS)
Display(s) 2 x Hanns.G HZ281 27"5 FullHD - 1 x HP Compaq LA2404WG 24"
Case Corsair Graphite 600T
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX
Power Supply Scythe Chouriki PlugIn 2 - 1000W - 80+Silver
Software Win Ultimate 64x
There should be a switch to turn on the original bios, while windows is loaded (or dos) switch back & flash a correct bios back again.
Another fix implies that you boot with a another video card while your 6970 plugged in another pci-e slot, when booted flash the correct bios to your video card.
Always be carefull while flashing, you should really know what you are doing.

look here for the bios switch : http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...rn-your-radeon-6950-into-a-6970.aspx?pageid=1

Serbius

There should be a switch to turn on the original bios[/url]
Unfortunately there is no bios switch on the 6970, the 6950 reference model had one but my XFX 6970 has no such switch. Because I was concerned something like this would happen I saved an original bios image and will attempt to flash that on through the dos prompt. Crossing my fingers here.

valbodpav

where is logic!? Tutorial on how to use RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor)

Im from ukraine, i try calculate in winXP calculator using engineering (16|4) function &mem save\read
is this usual numbers (in usual view calculator) have logic and importance value sense meaning? where 4870 and where 4850 ???

quot=
You do that to make sure you flash the proper BIOS onto the proper card. For example, you have a 4850 and a 4870 in Crossfire in your system. In RBE, the one checksum for the 4870 is 0xC6BB, the other one is 0xBF00. The checksums for the 4850 are alike, both are 0x0E00.
Entering "ATIFlash -cb 0" will show you the checksum of adapter 0. Say, ATIFlash reports this checksum to be 0xBF00. In that case, you know that adapter 0 is the 4870 and you have to flash the 4870 BIOS onto that adapter. Entering "ATIFlash -cb 1" will come out 0x0E00, so this is the 4850. It is much easier however if you strip down your system to have only the card installed that you want to flash.