• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Etymotic EVO Multi-Driver Earphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Etymotic is synonymous with its probing acoustic chamber, single-driver tuning with a neutral and accurate response. This changes with the new Etymotic EVO that adopts an ergonomic design and the company's first multi-driver setup in an attempt to be more accurate while also increasing soundstage and presence.

Show full review

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
These companies must be making a killing on these things. I bought a pair of IEMs for 15 bucks and I think they sound pretty good. I would never pay more than 50 for something like this.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
These companies must be making a killing on these things. I bought a pair of IEMs for 15 bucks and I think they sound pretty good. I would never pay more than 50 for something like this.
The main thing is you are happy with what you have. These are going to make others happy too, and my goal was to help those make sure this is indeed for them (or not).

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
how does this compare to the older ER4P or ER4SR?

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
Unfortunately I have no experience with either of these, but my colleague previously reviewed the ER4SR (and XR) here for what it's worth: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/etymotic-er4xr-sr/
i have tried the ER4XR and SR, and owned the ER4P for 11 years now
i am thinking of upgrading to these if the sound performance is similar to those
i really liked the ER4P, still my go to IEMs for a long listening sessions

thanks for the reply!

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
i have tried the ER4XR and SR, and owned the ER4P for 11 years now
i am thinking of upgrading to these if the sound performance is similar to those
i really liked the ER4P, still my go to IEMs for a long listening sessions

thanks for the reply!
These are still compliant with the Etymotic reference tuning, so I imagine it would be quite similar to the non-bass boosted ER4 models but with higher resolution across the board.

Arnar

Thanks for a great review VSG!

I just got mine yesterday and my experience is very close to yours. I was using ER4's which I have been using since ~2003 (can't believe how long they are lasting on original cables)

I found the Evo's surprisingly heavy once they were in hand and I had to try various tips to get a comfortable fit. I was using triple flange on the ER4 but since the heavy shell of EVO needs support from the ears you need a deep fit and the triple flange was touching my eardrum :p

Cable is very thin and tangles a bit but there is very little conductive rattle like in the heavier ER4 cable. A little concerned the heavy shells might make my ears sore but time will tell.

Great soundstage, clean deep bass and clear sound.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks for a great review VSG!

I just got mine yesterday and my experience is very close to yours. I was using ER4's which I have been using since ~2003 (can't believe how long they are lasting on original cables)

I found the Evo's surprisingly heavy once they were in hand and I had to try various tips to get a comfortable fit. I was using triple flange on the ER4 but since the heavy shell of EVO needs support from the ears you need a deep fit and the triple flange was touching my eardrum :p

Cable is very thin and tangles a bit but there is very little conductive rattle like in the heavier ER4 cable. A little concerned the heavy shells might make my ears sore but time will tell.

Great soundstage, clean deep bass and clear sound.
Try a few different aftermarket tips just in case, and definitely use the cable cinch too, but this is another case of time will tell. I had doubts initially too, but these are extremely comfortable once I just accepted it and used them for a while. Sadly they've since been relegated to my collection all boxed up since I've had so many other IEMs and headphones arrive since then.