• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Every single game stutters and im getting fed up with PC gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

stutterhelp

Ever since i built a modern PC im consistently disappointed at how every single game stutters randomly and NOTHING i do can fix it

I built a pc with
Ryzen 2600
16gb ram
Some gigabyte motherboard
Gtx 1080
NVME
60hz monitor

After trying EVERYTHING, reinstalling windows, putting games on NVME, XMP on off, countless windows tweaks etc. I figured something must be screwed up. I literally rebuilt the entire PC, Got another Asrock motherboard, got a Ryzen 5600, Got different 16gb ram sticks, different power supply -- THE SAME THING HAPPENS. Tried multiple different 60hz monitors, hdmi cables, same things. I even contacted NVIDIA for warranty to check out my 1080 and replace it, they sent me another thing. Same issue. I tried a gtx 1060, same thing happens.

So what happens exactly?

MY fps will be awesome, solid 60, but every 60seconds or few minutes, the entire screen will just FREEZE/ Hitch/ stutter and it just feels like shit.

If I use MSI afterburner and look at frametime, you can see a totally solid bar, but then randomly it will just have a gigantic spike.
VSync on or off, doesnt matter
Cap 60fps with rivatuner, doesnt matter.

I'm just about ready to abandon PC gaming and just use consoles cause this shit is so annoying and it doesnt happen on consoles.

PLZ HELP. WHAT DO I DO TO FIX THE STUTTERS? Im sick of throwing money at the issue thinking it will change anythign!!!!

Lately:
The division 2
The Forest
Gears 5
Zombie army 4
Serious sam (All)
Elden ring
Back 4 blood
Aliens firteam elite

List goes on and on..every game..

LOOK at the pic, every game is like this!!! fuck pc gaming??
Is it just impossible to get solid consistent 60fps on pc games or what? Too much to ask in 2023??

NOTE: EVEN IF I LOCK GAMES TO 30FPS I STILL GET THE STUPID SPIKES. What is going on??
NOTE: Its not the temps theyre always way below anything bad.

THINGS TRIED:

bios:

-XMP on/off
-amd FTPM on/off
-Adding + voltage bumps to memory
-Above 4g decoding on/off
-Resize bar on/off
-Update bios

Windows:
-Manually install amd chipset/windows default
- HW Schedule HAGS on/off
- Nvidia manually update to latest / windows default driver
- Disable / unplug all usb devices except mouse keyboard
- Device manager disable all unnessesary things
- Nvidia shader cache 'unlimited'

- MSI Afterburner disable power monitoring

Hardware:
- Manually unplug all LED shit
- Manually unplug all extra USB stuff from motherboard, usb 3.0 shti etc
-Unplug everything from
motherboard except bare essentails
- Unplug hard drive, all external hard drives, only use NVME with windows

Even thought at one point the issue was just with the power inside my house, so I hoped that eventually when I moved it would be fixed
Well I moved to a new apartment, same issue ofc.

I even made a youtube channel showcasing the issue in various places, I could post way more vids now, i even have a different CPU than i did back then, same issue:

wat else

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
What haven't you changed yet?

Something is causing the spikes.

Internet (have you tried gaming on a different connection, like 5G data hotspot?)
Peripherals - perhaps you have a faulty keyboard, mouse, USB headset or similar,
Power socket - are you using an old surge protector with the red neon light? They can cause instability.
Are you always reinstalling Windows from the same install media, or did you just reinstall multiple times from the same, potentially corrupt source?
Utilities, software etc - have you ruled out all of those by gaming with the bare minimum of installed drivers and no third-party apps or utilities?

It sounds like you're about to give up in exasperation but there is absolutely loads you haven't tried yet.
You'll hear this advice over and over on countless forums when people are troubleshooting: BREADBOARD.

In other words, start from the bare minimum needed to boot a PC - in your case the bare minimum needed to display a game you're testing. Test each time you add something, whether it's software, internal hardware, or external peripherals. If you can't get the breadboard stable, then take your haunted PC to work or a mate's house to rule out all external factors like power, peripherals, and internet connection. If it turns out you have internet, power, or environmental problems, you'll get the same shit-tastic experience with a console. FIND THE PROBLEM, rather than throwing money at new shit.

stutterhelp

ok thanks i will start from scratch
can you suggest a very RELIABLE piece of software that if there are no stutters, then if i encounter stutters elsewhere its just the game?
what is the most reliable piece of software to test?
BEcause even in something like Unigen Heaven benchmark, i still see the same stutters..

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
can you suggest a very RELIABLE piece of software that if there are no stutters, then if i encounter stutters elsewhere its just the game?
BEcause even in something like Unigen Heaven benchmark, i still see the same stutters..
Forza horizon 5, cs go, dota 2, cyberpunk fortnite, apex legends, rdr2, sotr, these games are stutter free

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Unigine Heaven is perfect for benchmarking to test for stutters because it works offline and it's very quick to run. It absolutely shouldn't stutter.

IMO you should clear your CMOS to reset your bios, and do a minimal build with the CPU/RAM/GPU and your boot drive ONLY.
Freshly-downloaded windows onto a USB stick and install that. The only drivers you should update beyond the Windows basic drivers are the motherboard chipset drivers and the Nvidia drivers.

Run heaven, unplug your keyboard, mouse, internet cable - so that literally the only things plugged in are the monitor and the power cable, and the only software you have installed are the two essential drivers and unigine heaven.

If that stutters, you definitely have a hardware issue - either with the components, your display, or your house electrical circuits. We can troubleshoot further from there by just eliminating things one at a time.

If that doesn't stutter, something you are plugging in or installing is causing the stutter. Just add things ONE AT A TIME and retest each time - presumably it's very quick to stutter and you don't have to test for long each time to discover what's causing the problem.

3x0

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wi-Fi ITX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev. B Noctua NF-A12x25 Edition
Memory 2x16GiB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mb/s CL14 F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX7800 XT Hellhound 16GiB
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0 1TiB, Western Digital Blue 3D WDS200T2B0A 2TiB
Display(s) Dell G2724D 27" IPS 1440P 165Hz, ASUS VG259QM 25” IPS 1080P 240Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P ITX
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing 220, HyperX Cloud II
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum 750W SFX
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis Mini Wireless
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Aqua
Unigine Heaven is perfect for benchmarking to test for stutters because it works offline and it's very quick to run. It absolutely shouldn't stutter.
Heaven stutters at exactly the same points in the run every time. So it's not stutter free but if it stutters at the exact same points every time then it's normal.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Heaven stutters at exactly the same points in the run every time. So it's not stutter free but if it stutters at the exact same points every time then it's normal.
No, it doesn't, and it's not supposed to.
If it stutters you have a problem - even if it's a minor problem like your vsync being imperfect and skipping the odd frame (59.94Hz display being driven at 60Hz for example), you still have a problem.

Intel HD graphics from a decade ago can run Heaven without any stutter at all. Sure, the framerate isn't great, but it's completely consistent even with a flawed IGP like the HD4600 on abandoned platforms with outdated drivers. I sell or donate i7 3rd and 4th gen platforms and I use Heaven to test. Even the HD2500 from 2012 is fine.

Last edited:

3x0

Storage Western Digital Black SN850 WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0 1TiB, Western Digital Blue 3D WDS200T2B0A 2TiB
I've had it stutter on two completely different systems, one nV with 6700k and one AMD with 5600x/5800X3D, both completely stable.

One of the most noticeable stutters is around this area (not my video obviously)

And here's one with an nV GPU

Processor Intel 14900KS
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Z690 Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling with EK
Memory 2x16GB TForce 6800CL34
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC
Storage SN850x 2TB, Intel 670p 1TB, 10TB HDD
Display(s) Dell U3415W (3840x1600)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic White
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse EVGA X20
Keyboard EVGA Z20
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
If it stutters you have a problem - even if it's a minor problem like your vsync being imperfect and skipping the odd frame (59.94Hz display being driven at 60Hz for example), you still have a problem.

Intel HD graphics from a decade ago can run Heaven without any stutter at all. Sure, the framerate isn't great, but it's completely consistent even with a flawed IGP like the HD4600 on abandoned platforms with outdated drivers. I sell or donate i7 3rd and 4th gen platforms and I use Heaven to test. Even the HD2500 from 2012 is fine.
I'm with 3x0 on this one. Been using Unigine Heaven since the Nvidia 200 series and it has always stuttered at certain points. The most consistent for me is when the camera comes over the castle wall at night and points towards the village.

Anyway, stutterhelps, I've watched through your videos. Only thing I can think of is that you're noticing the stutters because you're playing at 60 hz. Looks like the stutters you notice are only one frame. I wonder if you got a higher Hertz monitor with Gsync or Freesync that you wouldn't see those stutters anymore. I game at 60hz and I'm pretty sure I've always got a stutter every once in a while in every game.

System Name Spam
Processor i9-12900K PL1=125 TA=56 PL2=250
Motherboard MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi DDR4
Cooling Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm ARGB Fans x5 / Noctua NH-U9S
Memory Mushkin Red Line DDR4 4000 16Gb x2 18-22-22-42 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XT
Storage Team Group MP33 512Mb / 1Tb
Display(s) LG 34GP63A-B (3440 x 1440)
Case BitFenix Prodigy M 2022
Audio Device(s) Real Tek on Board Audio
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM
Mouse G203
Keyboard G413
Software WIN 11 Pro
Are you running antivirus software? If so, turn it off or uninstall it, and the same thing applies to drive indexing and windows updates. I would also try setting the frame cap to 50 FPS and see what that does.

The other thing I would recommend, is to get a faster monitor then 60Hz and try it. You can get a cheap 144Hz monitor for 100$ now. (My Samsung was 149$ from BestBuy that is listed in my system spec)

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

GTA V runs super smooth on latest driver. (at least on my system)
GTA V generally runs smooth nowadays.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I absolute hate these stutters..

I really noticed my stutters getting much better with the 8700K+ -Ryzen 3000 gen systems -- before that 6700k, ryzen 7 1800x, 7820x all had load in hitching like that to some extent. Before that my favorite bang around games (like far cry 5) were borderline unplayable.

To oversimplify things a bit, the stutter is fundamentally caused by the primary game thread getting blocked for a few miliseconds- this is usually done by:

1. Too much asset loading and not enough bandwidth -- usually just bad coding at the game level and the game's primary thread realizes it needs things at the last milisecond and hitches( far cry 5, hogwarts legacy etc.). Throwing more bandwith and lower latency at the software can help (either through overclocking or software tuning like turning off VBS etc.)

2. Something interrupting the OS -- this is usually peripherals and sometimes (though more rarely) background software -- network and usb devices that have badly coded and sometimes aggressive drivers that throw disruptive IO (like randomly waking up from suspend) at random times etc.

Generally to fix stuttering:
- unplug or disable all unnecessary USB / devices in the device manager, turn off selective suspend for these (especially NICs)
- tune OS by disabling as much background software and services, disabling CFG and VBS security nannies
- tune Ram Timings, Speed, and power settings (gear down, timings, TRFC lowering can help -- in general more ram bandwith and lower latency = exponentially less noticeable stutters and more consistent fps)
- enable software tricks like render ahead one frame and fps cap below monitors refresh rate (for high refresh systems) -- stuff like freesync and vsync can help ALOT at the expense of latency.

Processor Intel i5 9400f
Motherboard MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
Cooling SilentiumPC Fera 3
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16-18-18-36
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS OC
Storage 500 GB Kingston A2000; 1 TB Kingston A2000; 1 TB HGST Travelstar
Display(s) AOC 24G2U
Case SilentiumPC Signum SG1
Audio Device(s) Creative Pebble Plus; Logitech G533
Power Supply beQuiet Systempower 9 500W
Mouse Logitech G403 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins (Red)
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've heard Wallpaper engine can sometimes cause these kinds of consistent stutters. If you are using it maybe try turning it off. Otherwise try to keep an eye on background tasks (taskmanager or resmon) while running a benchmark to see if any program activity coincides with the stutters.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
I have a pretty beefy rig and in resident evil 2 certain corridors the frame rate just dips no matter the setting tried it with a 1070ti and 3090

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Only gpu benchmark or testing app worth beans is
Unigine Superposition
Heaven is way to old to go by anymore

You could also use blender opendata and have it test cpu or gpu rendering this should be the standard for clocks stability

Blender Open Data — blender.org

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
I've heard Wallpaper engine can sometimes cause these kinds of consistent stutters. If you are using it maybe try turning it off. Otherwise try to keep an eye on background tasks (taskmanager or resmon) while running a benchmark to see if any program activity coincides with the stutters.
I am with that opinion as some other members solved their system's hiccups every minute or so just by stopping the wallpaper from changing. Easy to try and fix if its that's the cause of the problem.

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I am with that opinion as some other members sovled their system's hiccups every minute or show just by stopping the wallpaper from changing. Easy to try and fix if its that's the cause of the problem.
I also use Wallpaper Engine, just "Pause" it before playing a game, no issues.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
Heaven has stuttered for me 100% every time heading into the dark area where the casks are. For a decade. I stopped using it and switched to Valley which has never stuttered and has long draw distances with more terrain and effects. However:

Hi,
Only gpu benchmark or testing app worth beans is
Unigine Superposition
Heaven is way to old to go by anymore

You could also use blender opendata and have it test cpu or gpu rendering this should be the standard for clocks stability

Blender Open Data — blender.org

Yes, I've seen zero stutters in Superposition and it's DX12 whereas Valley is DX11 if that matters to anyone. I finally bought the damn thing recently so I can loop it for GPU stability testing. It loads a modern GPU more heavily than Valley (higher power use) and with my current 5600+6800XT setup in a 1080p window, Valley was getting CPU-bound at max settings. Not Superposition.

System Name sleeper Compaq
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi
Cooling ARCTIC Freezer 7 X, Nexus D12SL-12
Memory PNY XLR8 Gaming 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX750Ti GDDR5 2GB
Storage XPG SX6000 Lite 128 M.2 NVMe, Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Sony 32" bravia
Case Compaq SR5700 series
Audio Device(s) Samsung Pleomax S2-500B 2.1. Sennheiser hp.
Power Supply SilverStone 500W Strider Essential ST50F-ES230 V2.0
Mouse Logitech G1
Keyboard Logitech 350
Software Win11 Home
Tried 3DMark? In case it stutters there also, something maybe to go on for solving the stutter issue.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Could be bad PSU.

Check your RAM tune too. https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md

Some games don't like Ryzen in general, or any other latency sensitive game, unless you have 3DVCache version or very good RAM setup.

Use NVCP to limit your frame rate to 3 below max refresh rate, then set latency mode to ultra.

If you have reflex options in game, turn them on+boost.

Regular stutters can be caused by periodic system activity, uninstall software you don't need, and check device manager for things you can disable that are redundant. E.g. onboard sound if you use a sound card.

Disabling virtualization based security is also a good option if you game.

Stuff like 3rd party programs for FPS monitoring can cause performance issues, use the built in NVIDIA driver one, disable shadowplay if you don't use it, and consider using NVCleaninstall to disable telemetry and bloat etc. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 This is also good software for general performance and security.

https://geekuninstaller.com/download As is this for debloating.

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts using this to block ads/malware connections at root level is also a good idea.

Plus, I'd suggest getting a better monitor and filling out your system specs.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I've just watched a full run of heaven and it didn't drop a single frame. I use it because it's so sensitive to background bullshit and poor shader complilation.

1679161510257.png

For everyone here with stutters, you have a problem. If it stutters in the same place every time, you may have poorly-compiled shaders, a bottleneck in your system. The fact that people can run it without stutters means that the benchmark isn't causing the stutters. A common rig I'm refurbishing right now is haswell i7 + RX570 8GB. That stutters slightly for the first few seconds, probably because the CPU is too weak to load all the scene data and feed the GPU at the same time. When the test loops around back to the first scene, it's completely stutter free.

There's always a reason for the stutter, you just need to spend some time working out what the cause is. Unless literally nobody is saying that it doesn't stutter, you'll usually find that there's survivorship bias - in that only those people who have experienced stutter reply, or even read threads about stutter.

Use superposition or valley if you want, it doesn't really matter as long as it's offline and you can run the test with everything except the monitor and power cable unplugged. That's the primary requirement for testing for stutter when breadboarding a PC.

Here's a 3070/5800X3D without stutters, and a shitty old intel laptop's IGP suffocating on the sofa with low battery. Still no dropped frames or obvious stuttering, because I've learnt what things I used in the past caused any kind of stuttering, and banned them from any PC I own. You've just gotta find the culprit and perma-ban it from your life going forwards.

1679162857495.png1679163269924.png

Last edited:

3x0

For everyone here with stutters, you have a problem.
I don't but thank you for trying to help. I don't consider a repeatable stutter in a 14 year old benchmark to be a problem on an otherwise normal running system.

BTW, make sure you run the test in FullHD 1080p and with tessellation enabled.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I don't but thank you for trying to help. I don't consider a repeatable stutter in a 14 year old benchmark to be a problem on an otherwise normal running system.
It proves your system can't successfully run a 14-year-old benchmark without hitching. It's only a minor problem, but the fact that decade-old junk can do better means that something, somewhere on your system is interrupting your render. Does it bother you? Clearly not - but you cannot possibly deny it's there.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Have you tried a clean install of the OS?

Also, some games just have lag spikes, its just part of it.

Try a game like Hard Reset Redux, it never lags or spikes, smoothest game I ever played in my life.

Do you have freesync turned on in nvidia drivers? should be a gsync compatible option somewhere. Try that. I didn't read all of the posts, only some... so eh sorry if this already has been mentioned.

Sorry you are having a hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.