1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Allegedly Cuts Out Original Developer of Precision Overclocking App

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 17, 2014.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    EVGA allegedly violated the license agreement it held with the original developer of its Precision overclocking and monitoring app, when it developed the latest version of its Precision X 15 app, featuring what it claimed to be a "100 percent in-house" back-end code. EVGA Precision was originally based on RivaTuner codebase, which developer Alex "Unwinder" Nicolaychuk licences out to several major VGA add-in board manufacturers; the more popular being MSI Afterburner. The RivaTuner base, derived from Unwinder's pioneering VGA tweaking app, forms a vast majority of the code of the likes of Precision and Afterburner, with clients going only as far as to innovate shiny skins and UI ideas, or add-on features (ideas), which are then put into code by Unwinder.

Unwinder alleges that the latest version of Precision X, the one EVGA claims to be an in-house development, continues to be largely based on RivaTuner, including the more superficial bits of it, such as user interface dialog control IDs (the way the app takes inputs from the user), and text from the multilingual help system. The installer in which Precision X is packaged, ironically, continues to feature the licence agreement copied over from the older version.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Unwinder states:
    EVGA, in response to the allegations, maintained that "no code was copied," and that it doesn't see a wrongdoing in keeping the user interface consistent (UI) with older versions, since the UI is "100 percent designed by EVGA." It stated:

There has been no public release of Precision X 15, yet, and so we cannot verify claims from either side.

Source: Guru3D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably should have expected to get ripped off. This is the world we live in, companies are just out to steal other people's work and crush them under the weight of expensive legal action.

Xzibit says thanks.
  3. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    No good deed goes unpunished.

4. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Well done EVGA. How pathetic is it to steal something that was free for your company.

5. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    My favorite is where EVGA "blames" Unwinder because he didn't implement features that they recommended for them but them they mysteriously (<-my wording) appeared in Afterburner. So they think that features should be added because they simply ask for it. Here's an idea EVGA, how about you pay for it? That's usually how you get people to do work for you. Oh, the feature? 64bit overlay because it was needed for BF4. Like Unwinder, and apparently MSI, needed EVGA to tell them it needed that?

They really really needed to think more before responding. They started off with egg on their faces, now they've put both feet in their mouths with their excuse on why they did an end around on the dev..

6. Scatler

Scatler

Thanks Received:
    Oh how the mighty have fallen.

7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I never really got why EVGA and MSI seem so stingy with compensating this guy for work and getting the features they want added in. Especially since they had to pay somebody else to develop this. I can however understand one of these companies wanting to get away from that dev. Whether you're a big or small company you want very measured and professional interactions with customers no matter how obnoxious they are and that's not always what you get with unwinder.

8. Antykain

Antykain

Thanks Received:
    I have been using EVGA product for many years, dating back to GeForce 2 Ti way back in the day. I've been pretty a pretty loyal EVGA customer over the years. I'm kinda curious to see how this is going to play out in the end.. Been using the new PrecisionX 15 as of today, and so far, I like it.. a bit buggy with some games, but I guess being EVGA's first 'full' release, it's a given. Guess we'll see how this play out.. I still plan on supporting EVGA products whatever the outcome.

PrecisionX 15 is now available btw from EVGA.com.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. wickedcricket

Thanks Received:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  10. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    Well, why create something new when you can borrow?

11. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    So you think it's politics? Or EVGA is driven by patriotism? Seems like EVGA was PO'd because MSI got a feature before they did.

12. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    EVGA got pissed because a competitor got all the features and EVGA with a lesser contract (THAT THEY MADE) with less pay didn't. In the end they got those features for free and still safted the developer.

13. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  14. wickedcricket

Thanks Received:

Well when it comes to $$$ I don't think any reason/action would fully justify or explain both parties actions. It might be even that EVGA wanted some feature(s), from dev Alexey, they made their proposal, he named his price, they refused as it wasn't justified and EVGA said: hey wait a minute we are so long in this business we don't actually need you, we'll do it ourselves. ...and so they did, this is what actually happens a lot in this business and to be honest is an unwritten rule. Also who knows if the political tensions hasn't got anything to do with it - I'd say yes, in a very minor way but tensions between those 2 (USA vs RU) are high....

15. ZoneDymo

ZoneDymo

Thanks Received:

You come across like you are on their payroll so badly with that man, urgg
    Nice integrity you have supporting them whatever happens, up your standards pls.

Oblivion-330, neliz and RCoon say thanks.
  16. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Please go read the thread over at G3D. None of your posts are making any contribution to this discussion.

17. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    I really hope Alex gets legal council on this. I won't be buying any EVGA products now.

95Viper says thanks.
  18. vega22

vega22

Thanks Received:
    i hope unwinder fucks them, too.

w1z you ever had anything like this?

19. neliz

neliz

Thanks Received:
    I think everyone is overestimating how much work is done in the US and not actually in Taiwan (like all other companies) when it comes to R&D and Product Management. "Patriotism" is a moot point in this discussion if you consider all of these companies do their R&D in Taiwan.

cadaveca and RCoon say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Selene

Thanks Received:
    I tried the new X15 version, it caused some odd problems for me, Outlook Express keep crashing, Titan Fall was getting 0-2 fps could not get a game to launch.

After reading all this sounds like EVGA has went down hill!

21. Patriot

Thanks Received:
    I kinda hope MSI just hires him and as much as I hate the idea... closes the source on his other tools.
    So long as MSI continues to offer its for free... little to no damage done to the community while screwing EVGA over. Don't continue to give them code.

22. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The EULA for Presicion X 15 is the same as Rivatuner's. The EULA even references Unwinder :laugh: 100% inhouse development my ass. EVGA must truly think we're all idiots.

The sad part is that I'm sure EVGA won't get anything bad from this. Yeah, a few of us might decide to not buy EVGA cards in the future but I don't think that'd make even a 1% dent in their revenue :( That's why companies have zero qualms about doing stuff like this, what can Unwinder do? He's in Russia and pursuing a legal case in the USA is surely out of his reach ($$$).

Patriot says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Patriot

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen the price on their cards.... Yes, yes they do.

and as we have seen in this thread... their followers are cultish and don't care if they steal from others.

Relayer says thanks.
  24. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That happens when you don't know how to code an OSD

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Thanks Received:
    I've always found eVGA to be shady in their marketing. Sounds like it's spreading throughout the company's whole business...