• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA and Coolermaster SFX PSU's: as reliable as full size PSU's?

I once had a baby AT case that came with a ATX PSU that was much smaller than the standard. Unfortunately, the fan seized up and the PSU burned up because of the heat.

Are EVGA and Coolermaster SFX PSU's as reliable as full size PSU's? I'd imagine they have to run their fans faster to dissipate the heat load than a full size PSU so they're probably noisier right?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Unfortunately, the fan seized up and the PSU burned up because of the heat.
That is not correct! If the fan seized, the PSU should have shut down when it got too hot. If it burned up, that clearly indicates (1) thermal protection circuits failed miserably and catastrophically (2) the PSU had a very poor design, or (3) both 1 and 2.

Are EVGA and Coolermaster SFX PSU's as reliable as full size PSU's?
That is WAY too general and vague a question to answer. You have to be specific with specific model numbers. This is like asking if a small car is as reliable as a full size sedan.

The specific SFX PSU's I had in mind were:

1. Cooler Master V SFX Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX

2. EVGA SuperNOVA GM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX

3. FSP Group Dagger Pro 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX (never heard of this brand before yesterday)

And lastly and most expensively:

4. Silverstone SX-LPT 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
FSP has been around almost forever. They are best known as an OEM supplier - where they make the PSUs for other brands who put their names on them.

I am sure any one of those would be a "reliable" choice - meaning it "should" last for as long as you choose to use it. That is, it is likely you would retire the computer before it dies.

The only one of the above I would ignore is the Silverstone. I am sure it is a great PSU, but IMO, nobody needs a Platinum certified supply. Often misunderstood is the fact a higher rated 80 PLUS supply is NOT an indication of quality or reliability. It just means it is a little more efficient - it wastes fewer watts.

If you look at the 80 PLUS criteria (hover over the Gold and Platinum logos) you will see there is only 2% difference at 50% load between Gold and Platinum. It would take many years to make up the difference in energy savings for the extra purchase cost of the Platinum.

There is nothing to suggest a Platinum will last longer than a Gold, have less ripple suppression, better hold-up time, better regulation, tighter tolerances or run quieter.

If I had to choose, I would probably take the EVGA simply because I have used lots of EVGA supplies in recent builds, with no issues. So I have a bit of brand loyalty there.

That said, almost nobody needs an 850W supply. I would never, as in NEVER EVER buy any supply without first understanding my power requirements.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Disclaimer: I have not used any of the four SFX models mentioned in post #3.

Concerning reliability no one can answer your question. One thing PC equipment reviewers cannot do is assess long-term reliability especially with a statistically significant sample size. This isn't specific to PC power supply units, it pertains to pretty much all PC components (CPUs, fans, RAM, graphics cards, whatever).

If long-term reliability is a major concern, your best bet is to select a unit with an exceptionally long warranty. The manufacturer has the best idea of the durability of these based on prolonged laboratory tests in-house as well as RMAs.

Bill_Bright's points about the differences between Gold and Platinum are pertinent. The differences between the two are pretty minimal especially for consumer use:

However one thing that hasn't been discussed is acoustics. SFX power supplies tend to be noisier than ATX power supplies -- particularly at higher loads -- because they use smaller fans to fit in the smaller SFX enclosure. A smaller fan needs to rotate at a faster speed to move the same volume of air. SFX power supplies are also narrower which means less exhaust vent space at the back panel compared to the wider ATX size.

What some SFX PSU manufacturers have done is to come up with the SFX-L form factor which makes the PSU longer. This allows the manufacturer to include a larger fan; this helps with acoustics. Naturally the PC case must have the space to accommodate SFX-L PSUs. The SFX-L form factor does not have an official specification for length so it is up to the buyer to do their due diligence in figuring out if a given SFX-L PSU model will fit in their particular case.

In my primary gaming build (see System Specs <==) I have a Silverstone SX800-LTI (800W, SFX-L format, 80 Plus Platinum) power supply. I didn't buy it for the Platinum certification. I bought it for its larger fan (120 mm) and the 800W capacity since it's powering a thirsty GeForce RTX 3080 Ti.

In an different build (NZXT H210 which is tight on space) I have a Corsair SF750 SFX power supply which has a smaller fan. In my specific usage case, this PSU isn't any noisier because it is a build with a lighter load. It's worth noting that Corsair offers a 7-year warranty. Originally the H210 case had an ATX power supply which was too bulky for the custom cooling loop that was trying to install at that time so I switched to the SFX unit to reclaim some real estate inside the case.

In selecting an SFX power supply, you really need to start with your usage case (what components it will be powering at what typical load amount) as well as the computer case dimensions itself. Shoehorning an SFX-L PSU might not be desirable in a small chassis although it might allow for better acoustics if used at a high load.

Naturally you pay a premium for an high-wattage SFX or SFX-L power supply versus an equal wattage ATX unit. Unless you are constrained by case space limitations, your wallet goes farther with ATX versus SFX and you'll have a longer warranty with the former and likely better acoustics.

It's worth noting the final sentence from the PC World article:

"Buy a power supply with an efficiency that fits your situation, not the demands of other people who believe you must always maximize on specs."

Last edited:
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Higher efficiency PSU's generally dissipate less power as heat, but it probably won't be significant between gold/platinum.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Higher efficiency PSU's generally dissipate less power as heat, but it probably won't be significant between gold/platinum.
Yeah won't be very signifigant vs cost but you are technically correct.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
However one thing that hasn't been discussed is acoustics.
Well, I did slightly touch on it above - at least in terms of Platinum vs Gold when I said,
There is nothing to suggest a Platinum will last longer than a Gold, have less ripple suppression, better hold-up time, better regulation, tighter tolerances or run quieter.

Disclaimer: I have not used any of the four SFX models mentioned in post #3.
Adding my own disclaimer - While I have worked on my SFX computers, I have not used any SFX in any SFX build because I have never built a SFX computer for myself and likely never will. And this is due, much in part, to cvlades point about cooling and thus noise.

The problem is the same for laptops. Manufacturers can pack the horsepower of a PC into a laptop case, but not the cooling.
Exactly this. Efficiency is all about wasted power - power that is wasted in the form of heat. But yes, any differences between Platinum and Gold will be insignificant. Typically, all this means is the fan "may" begin to spin a bit faster a bit sooner - maybe. The demand on the PSU would have to be very high for an extended period of time for a mere 2% difference in efficiency to cause the fan to spin up a little faster a little sooner.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Adding my own disclaimer - While I have worked on my SFX computers, I have not used any SFX in any SFX build because I have never built a SFX computer for myself and likely never will. And this is due, much in part, to cvlades point about cooling and thus noise.
I don't think there is anything inherently inferior with the SFX PSU form factor. It's a worthy consideration for certain usage cases that thoughtful builders might be able to identify. It's a mix of features and compromises like pretty much anything in life.

Not everyone is gaming 8+ hours a day with today's power hungry premium desktop GPUs. There are plenty of other non-gaming usage cases and people with more than one computer. I'm typing this response on my NZXT H210 build, powering a Ryzen 3700X and a GeForce RTX 3050. I don't game on this system.

I've used plenty of desktop PCs over the decades that didn't have an ATX power supply. Whatever Apple proprietary PSU is in my Mac mini 2018 seems to be adequate for that matter and it's smaller than SFX.

;):p:D:)

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
I don't think there is anything inherently inferior with the SFX PSU form factor. It's a worthy consideration for certain usage cases that thoughtful builders might be able to identify. It's a mix of features and compromises like pretty much anything in life.

Not everyone is gaming 8+ hours a day with today's power hungry premium desktop GPUs. There are plenty of other non-gaming usage cases and people with more than one computer. I'm typing this response on my NZXT H210 build, powering a Ryzen 3700X and a GeForce RTX 3050. I don't game on this system.

I've used plenty of desktop PCs over the decades that didn't have an ATX power supply. Whatever Apple proprietary PSU is in my Mac mini 2018 seems to be adequate for that matter and it's smaller than SFX.

;):p:D:)
I have a TFX PSU (proprietary) in my Dell work PC. Never heard it or the single-slot R7 450's fan, even with Furmark. TFX is very very small.

Processor R7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B550 I
Cooling Fractal Celsius
Memory 32
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 4080 OC
Storage Lots
Display(s) LG 4k, Dell 1440p
Case Fractal Nano S
Audio Device(s) Vintage
Power Supply EVGA 650 SFF
Mouse Pwnage SYM2
Keyboard EVGA Z15
My biggest issue with most SFX PSU's is that most only have 2 VGA outs.

I've ran a 3080FTW3 on a EVGA 650 SFX and while it has been fine I'm pretty sure it wont be with the next gen GPU's in the 80/90 segment.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
I'll tell ya what, it's just tough to beat Corsair or Seasonic SFX PSU's. They both have been some serious solid power supplies. In my experience.

I've had both and had a Seasonic go to crap, but it shut down without any damage to the system and Seasonic warrantied it without a single issue. The power supply was about 7 years old!!!!!

It had a 5 year warranty.

I've seen a TFX PSU in a DVR surveillance unit. That PSU lasted for more than 10 years of 24-7 operation before it finally died. Too bad they don't make any TFX PSU's in > 700 Watt flavours.