• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Caught Sending Golden Samples of the SuperNova B3 to JonnyGuru

This is why I only buy Seasonic and Superflower. I know they make their own psu's at least.

Are you daft?

This PSU was supposed to have been made by Super Flower.

Thing is about Super Flower is that they have a very small factory. Outsourcing is VERY common. You do NOT know if a Super Flower PSU is actually built by Super Flower.

I was wondering why the same PSU's blew up when reviewed by Tom's Hardware and they passed with flying colors with Jonnyguru.

Because Aris tests OPP by intentionally overloading the PSU. Jeremy only tests to 100% PSU's advertised capability.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
As suspected, much ado about nothing. A case of use it as spec'd and all will be fine. Intentionally run it out of spec, and poof.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Are you daft?

Thing is about Super Flower is that they have a very small factory. Outsourcing is VERY common. You do NOT know if a Super Flower PSU is actually built by Super Flower.

Is there a list somewhere of OEMs? I mean, for computers in general. Not just this.

I have a soft spot for some brands, but it's sad that few make their own shit.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Are you daft?

You seem like the daft one. He said will only buy from brands that make their own high quality PSUs. Seasonic makes their own, as well as Super Flower... and they both sell them branded as their own products - which are the ones he buys (myself included).

Let me simplify it for you. Don't buy rebranded PSU's from companies who just throw their labels on products - buy from those who make their own.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
You seem like the daft one. He said will only buy from brands that make their own high quality PSUs. Seasonic makes their own, as well as Super Flower... and they both sell them branded as their own products - which are the ones he buys (myself included).

Let me simplify it for you. Don't buy rebranded PSU's from companies who just throw their labels on products - buy from those who make their own.

Like my question above indicates, it's not always easy to find out.

Besides that, some of the brands that don't make their own stuff still might design them and provide a lot of input. So the lines are blurred a bit.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
For some of us, this will no doubt bring their entire production into question.

My EVGA GTX980Ti cards are both top of the line performers. No problems for years.
I also have a Z170 Stinger M-ITX mainboard that is top notch too.

I have to admit that if I had a PSU do "Fireworks" at my house I would hesitate to buy that brand again.

My EVGA GTX980Ti cards are both top of the line performers. No problems for years.
I also have a Z170 Stinger M-ITX mainboard that is top notch too.

I have to admit that if I had a PSU do "Fireworks" at my house I would hesitate to buy that brand again.

What did you expect? Don't forget it's called SuperNova and now you know why. At least it ain't called Fatality...

Thumb of rule buy at least 80plus gold or if bronze then seasonic or some brand which is known using seasonic as oem.

As suspected, much ado about nothing. A case of use it as spec'd and all will be fine. Intentionally run it out of spec, and poof.
I wouldn't call it nothing, it shows that the protection mechanisms are flawed if a unit catches on fire.

Not... True.....

Blind ignorance is truly bliss.

You must have missed who was responding to this thread. Otherwise, you would not have assumed I don't know what I'm talking about. I know that has an air of arrogance to it, but for Christ's sake there's just as many assumptions made by people in this discussion thread than are made in the article itself.

Super Flower does the same thing for their own branded products than they do for everyone else. Their factory has one line which limits their output capability. They will OFTEN outsource. Not only for their clients, but for their own branded product.

And Seasonic isn't too different. They have outsourced on many occasion (more often for their own products than for whomever they're building products for) and, like Super Flower, don't do their own PCBA. PCBA can come from one of a dozen other factories.

I would actually RATHER buy a product from a factory that doesn't nearly everything in house from PCBA to magnetics to final assembly. Better quality control is achieved overall when you're not chasing down issues happening at a dozen different sub assembly factories.

Buying from a company that slaps their own label on a product versus someone else's means NOTHING. NOTHING. It has ZERO IMPACT on HOW the product is made. ZERO.

You guys talk you know how this stuff works... but clearly none of you actually do.

^^^ By far best list out there.

But remember: Simply knowing the OEM doesn't tell you much. The product could be a particular factory's design, but you don't know who did the PCBA or the assembly. And even if it is a bigger factory that does everything in house, those bigger factories have multiple lines with equipment of varying age and capability. The same factory that can put out top notch stuff can put out absolute crap simply because an older line was the only one available for a last minute rush order or because another line was down for maintenance or training.

Any way... Going back to the article.

Here are the facts:

We don't know who built Jeremy's (jonnyguru.com) sample. We don't know who made Aris's. Assumptions were made because Super Flower frequently outsources due to limited output capability. This is not an uncommon practice for smaller factories that only have one or two lines. This isn't news.

We don't know if Aris's PSU's blew up due to quality issues or poor design. Frankly, Jeremy's sample could have blown up just the same IF he had tested the same way. He did not. For all we know, Aris could have had a beautifully soldered sample direct from the Super Flower engineering lab, did his OPP test and it would have blown up just the same.

The only "conspiracy" here is that a lot of companies will "cherry pick" review samples and will withhold from sending review samples to certain reviewers if they know that particular reviewer's methodology may expose a products weaknesses. But this is not new and is hardly news. HardOCP jumped on reporting this originally because they like to make it a frequent practice (and a good one at that) to buy review samples from retail and championed around Seasonic's decision to ship reviewers samples directly from retail by "breaking" that "exclusive" news as well. That's what this is. Nothing more.

Last edited:
System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
You guys talk you know how this stuff works... but clearly none of you actually do.

I don't know much about how PSUs are made and how to test them out. But I do know that I've had a lot of luck with some brands, and so I cleave to them when I'm in the market for a PSU.
I don't stress-test my home PSUs. I buy a little more than I think I'll need for my build and just use them.
Brands like Corsair and Seasonic, and even a few Rosewill (go ahead and cringe) PSUs are seeing service at my house.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
^^^ By far best list out there.

But remember: Simply knowing the OEM doesn't tell you much. The product could be a particular factory's design, but you don't know who did the PCBA or the assembly. And even if it is a bigger factory that does everything in house, those bigger factories have multiple lines with equipment of varying age and capability. The same factory that can put out top notch stuff can put out absolute crap simply because an older line was the only one available for a last minute rush order or because another line was down for maintenance or training.

That's what I actually wanted to know when I asked about OEMs. But you made it even more complicated by mentioning multiple lines :D I'll just try to go by word of mouth from now on (like at sites like this).

I have a Corsair HX PSU for the most shallow reason: It matches my case.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
[warning this is a semi joke]
doesn't reviewer always get "golden sample" or "special selection", under the common "name" of "we test the last product of XXX brand that will hit the market in a few weeks/days"?

for sure ... i've never seen any product acting like they did in reviews (temps/clocking/perfs/durability) maybe i am not lucky at all for lottery .... :laugh:

i.e.: how a 1070 is a 1440p 144hz or even 60hz card when they barely reach 60fps in 1080p o_O (well .... they do reach and passe above it in reviews .... ) tested games in mind, i'd say TW3 and ROTTR (they do feel smooth but monitoring the fps give an other impression than reviews )

i.e.: hellblade? 81fps in very high? more like 50 with constants -30 dips :laugh: (live test :D even with Vsync active .... the fps never reached Vsync threshold ) and it's not the difference in min/avg fps induced by a 4C/4T over a 4C/8T that would explain that :p

or, how come that a Razer product never break in reviews where the reviewer got his hand on it for more than 1 week .... that's wizardry ....

conclusion: "you don't read review to have an idea of how a product would work for you, you read review to see which golden sample from which brand is superior to the others, since they are all golden samples"

do not take that too seriously :laugh:
:lovetpu:

Last edited:
System Name Coffee Lake S
Processor i9-9900K
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H115i Platinum RGB
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3466 C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD - WD Black 2TB HDD
Display(s) Dell P2715Q 27" 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply Seasonic 860 watt Platinum
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I'm starting to lose faith in EVGA who used to be best of the best. First they have their GTX 1080 FTW fiasco which they sort of acknowledged but not really, but then release a FTW2 w/icx saying the first card was fine but this one's better....even though they sent out 1000's of thermal pad and TIM kits for the FTW1 cards because the cards were overheating or catching fire.... then they realized they also needed pads for the VRAMs too which were still overheating -so they sent out more pads - it was a total mess. All the while EVGA kind of maintained the attitude that "the FTW cards are operating within normal parameters, these pads are just for extra protection"

And now this PSU issue? They've really gone downhill IHMO. Powergate.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

I stated this way earlier in the first thread on this.

Apparently, no one listened. Thank you for the backup from a respected name.

I'm starting to lose faith in EVGA who used to be best of the best. First they have their GTX 1080 FTW fiasco which they sort of acknowledged but not really, but then release a FTW2 w/icx saying the first card was fine but this one's better....even though they sent out 1000's of thermal pad and TIM kits for the FTW1 cards because the cards were overheating or catching fire.... then they realized they also needed pads for the VRAMs too which were still overheating -so they sent out more pads - it was a total mess. All the while EVGA kind of maintained the attitude that "the FTW cards are operating within normal parameters, these pads are just for extra protection"

And now this PSU issue? They've really gone downhill IHMO. Powergate.
EVGA's decline started a long time ago, their X79 motherboards were a huge disaster, then there was the GTX 970 heatpipe issue when they reused the cooler from the 700 series.

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
Because Aris tests OPP by intentionally overloading the PSU. Jeremy only tests to 100% PSU's advertised capability.

Thanks for the explanation JonnyGURU. On your recommendation I did buy a Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 gold...so hopefully Seasonic built mine.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
EVGA got caught with their pants down of course. They've been given the opportunity to tell their side of the story but they wont own up to it.

I wonder if the same thing happens with the GPUs as well. For some of us, this will no doubt bring their entire production into question.
I was about to get this same psu for the hubby's ryzen system... soooo glaaad I saw this post! sucks bc that price is nice :(

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I was about to get this same psu for the hubby's ryzen system... soooo glaaad I saw this post! sucks bc that price is nice :(

Their G2 and G3 PSUs are still pretty solid. Though, after this. you wonder if they can be trusted at all