• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Gives Away ''Free Performance Boost'' to its GTX 460 Users

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The GeForce GTX 460 broke the mold set by older GF100-based graphics cards (such as GTX 465, GTX 470, GTX 480), by offering decent overclocking potential for its core and shader clock domains. This allowed partners to pack their factory-overclocked models with generously high clock speeds compared to the reference design model. Apparently EVGA fell a little behind with slightly conservative clock speed boosts on their models, that they decided to give away what they call a "Free Performance Boost" to all owners of their GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards.

The Free Performance Boost is basically a graphics card BIOS update. The new BIOS packs increased clock speeds - 720 MHz for the core (vs. 675 MHz reference), and 1,440 MHz for the shader or CUDA core domain (vs. 1,350 MHz reference). The fan-speed upper limited has been increased to 100%, which was earlier restricted to 70%. The update comes in the form of an update executable that takes care of the entire update process from within Windows. You can get the executable specific to your EVGA GTX 460 model here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

HillBeast

System Name Kuja
Processor Intel Core i7 930
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H50 HB.o Special Edition with Koolance CHC-122 NB Block
Memory OCZ Extreme Edition 4GB Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X Rev. 2
Storage 2x 1TB WD Green in RAID
Display(s) BenQ V2400W
Case Lian Li PC-A17 HB.o Special Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 889A
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores 93632 sysPoints in sysTest '09 47 FPS in Star Tales Benchmark
Oh EVGA you're so kind by giving your users an overclock they SHOULD HAVE HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

The users most likely who will care would have already used EVGA Precision to get the extra speed they want.

Rakesh95

System Name Cant think of one
Processor Intel Core i7 930 D0
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
Cooling 3x 200mm, 1x120, 1x120 push for megahalem
Memory Kingston OC DDR3 1600MHz Cas 6
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 275 896mb
Storage 1x WD AV-GP 1 Terabyte(OS/bkup) 1x WD Caviar Green(Data) 1x WD Caviar Blue(MAC OSX 10.5.5
Display(s) Dell 22"
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Audio Device(s) ALC889a
Power Supply Coolermaster Utimate Circute protection(UCP) 700
Software Wndows 7 and MAC OSX leopard
I on the other hand, call it a BIOS update, like Im sure most of us will..

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Oh EVGA you're so kind by giving your users an overclock they SHOULD HAVE HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

The users most likely who will care would have already used EVGA Precision to get the extra speed they want.

What rule entitles anyone to higher stock clocks? :wtf: So they were conservative on the clock speeds and then found out they could get away with a bit more. So what? At least they took the time to release the bios update. They could have left well enough alone and not cared about thier less overclocking-savvy users.

HillBeast

System Name Kuja
Processor Intel Core i7 930
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H50 HB.o Special Edition with Koolance CHC-122 NB Block
Memory OCZ Extreme Edition 4GB Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X Rev. 2
Storage 2x 1TB WD Green in RAID
Display(s) BenQ V2400W
Case Lian Li PC-A17 HB.o Special Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 889A
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores 93632 sysPoints in sysTest '09 47 FPS in Star Tales Benchmark
What rule entitles anyone to higher stock clocks? :wtf: So they were conservative on the clock speeds and then found out they could get away with a bit more. So what? At least they took the time to release the bios update. They could have left well enough alone and not cared about thier less overclocking-savvy users.

My point wasn't that they broke some kind of obligation or something, I was trying to point out that they are saying it's a "Free Performance Boost", but it's in the form of a BIOS update. Anyone knowledgeable to be wanting the BIOS update would have Nibitored their BIOS already or used EVGA Precision (or whatever overclocking utility they liked) to get the extra speed.

The thing is, EVGA are trusting every core they have put out so far is capable of the new speed the BIOS provides (I can't even be bothered looking at what it is). They should have given the customers that speed at the start because if they did that they won't run the risk of someone with a core that can't handle it downloading it and toasting their card.

They should have just given them a special EVGA Precision with the new speeds built in. The thing is people are going to think EVGA are giving out free stuff, but they're not, they're just overclocking your card.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Clever to put the bios updater and the bios in one package so n00bs can correctly patch the card!

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
100% fan speed and this is a improvement eh?

Well, it's impossible to please some.

100% fan speed and this is a improvement eh?

It doesn't say they changed the fan sped to 100%, they just removed hard cap at only 70% fan speed. So if card for some reason overheats more than usual, it will be able to speed up to 100%. Where with factory default BIOS, it could only go up to 70% even if the core was at 5000°C.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My point wasn't that they broke some kind of obligation or something, I was trying to point out that they are saying it's a "Free Performance Boost", but it's in the form of a BIOS update. Anyone knowledgeable to be wanting the BIOS update would have Nibitored their BIOS already or used EVGA Precision (or whatever overclocking utility they liked) to get the extra speed.

The thing is, EVGA are trusting every core they have put out so far is capable of the new speed the BIOS provides (I can't even be bothered looking at what it is). They should have given the customers that speed at the start because if they did that they won't run the risk of someone with a core that can't handle it downloading it and toasting their card.

They should have just given them a special EVGA Precision with the new speeds built in. The thing is people are going to think EVGA are giving out free stuff, but they're not, they're just overclocking your card.

They could have done that, but this is far better. They package the entire BIOS flash into one easy to use, n00b friendly, installer that permanantly give them the free performance boost as opposed to only temperarily with an eVGA precision implementation. Now the n00b users get a free performance boost whenever they use the card, with not extra program to install every time they want the performance. And this is more for those that don't want to overclock their card, this is eVGA saying "it isn't overclocking, its a free performance boost that we say is OK to use".

And by the clock speeds they've set, every core will be able to handle the new speeds, I've yet to see a gTX460 that couldn't, and I'm guessing there might even be a small core voltage increase built into the new BIOS to make sure of it(which I guess is why the max fan speed was raised to 100%, just in case).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Free overclocks approved and warranteed by the company making the cards in an easy to use executable is win. Great idea and it will keep their customers happy.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
yea def don't bash on em lol what other company has EVER done this? never heard of it done personally

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
yea def don't bash on em lol what other company has EVER done this? never heard of it done personally

That's what people used to think and say about pre-flashed/clocked cards when they first appeared on the market several years ago.

And look how much of an utter gimmick that turned out to be?

Here, let me go make a custom/slimmed down Windows services registry file. Then all you do is simply double-click it, select 'yes' when prompted and voila, you now have a free performance boost!

This is the same thing; EVGA isn't doing anyone any favors - they're only perpetuating consumer ignorance and gullibility, and that's never good.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Here, let me go make a custom/slimmed down Windows services registry file. Then all you do is simply double-click it, select 'yes' when prompted and voila, you now have a free performance boost!

This is the same thing;

I don't think it's the same thing. with this bios update you never have to double-click anything for your speeds. After updating, if you re-install OS or put GFX card into another rig, the new speeds stay with you.
Takes the hassle out of setting overclocks/profiles every time you install OS, etc. and some of us re-install OS more times than we care to admit.
I think they would be perpetuating consumer ignorance and gullibility, if they DIDN'T release the BIOS update or any other fix; and instead ignore the issue or try to convince us that an underclocked card is best.
Just my opinion.

They probably figure out these card wont burn fast enough as predicted for nVidias chips 2-3yrs time just after warranty expire so they try to do that now :D It will be interesting if many shops around globe void warranty if that official BIOS upgrade went down south :pimp:

Anyway why even bothering doing upgrade when there's riva tuner evga precision and tools like that. I'd certainly void that upgrade without watt meter in my hand to see how much more fuel it will cost me after unnecessary voltage bump. I wouldnt be too much surprised if the real thing they forgot was voltages they oblige to follow by some nVidia gpu reseller guidelines, and nVidia was worried that chips would suffer from hypothermia :D and wouldn't be killed soon enough for next upgrade.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
They probably figure out these card wont burn fast enough as predicted for nVidias chips 2-3yrs time just after warranty expire so they try to do that now :D It will be interesting if many shops around globe void warranty if that official BIOS upgrade went down south :pimp:

The 1GB version has a Lifetime warranty, and it is provided by eVGA not the shop that sold the card.:D

Rakesh95

System Name Cant think of one
Processor Intel Core i7 930 D0
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
Cooling 3x 200mm, 1x120, 1x120 push for megahalem
Memory Kingston OC DDR3 1600MHz Cas 6
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 275 896mb
Storage 1x WD AV-GP 1 Terabyte(OS/bkup) 1x WD Caviar Green(Data) 1x WD Caviar Blue(MAC OSX 10.5.5
Display(s) Dell 22"
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Audio Device(s) ALC889a
Power Supply Coolermaster Utimate Circute protection(UCP) 700
Software Wndows 7 and MAC OSX leopard
Well at least they didn't keep silent right?