• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA SR-2 with dual x5690 OR Gigabyte x79A-GD45 with i7-4820k

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
@Liquid Cool I'm glad my hardware whoring has been of some use !! :) I do love the board as well as the DFI 939 Nforce boards I have, pure classics in my opinion. If only I could find a boxed NF7-S Rev 2, I'd lap it up :)
I do only collect boxed hardware, I think I have a problem but I can just blame that on the OCD I have lol :D

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I'd say keep doing what you're doing....the OCD be damned, besides...it's always good to have the boxes.

I owned the Rev 2 as well. The Danger Den cpu/chipset blocks looked especially nice on those A-Bit motherboards.

A couple of quick snapshots from my archives...2004/2005? I'm pretty sure at least...because 2003 was all about the Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra BE. I'll spare you the RGB photos. Oh yeah...RGB was a thing back then...kinda...:).

DSCN1244.JPG DSCN1160.JPG

Thanks again...:),

Liquid Cool

Last edited:

aQi

That was time when hardware look nice...
EVGA SR-2, EVGA GTX580 Classified, huge HTPX Lian Li aluminium case....

That combo GIGABYTE X79 + i7-4820 not worth 400$, max 300$.
It would be nice if someone could sell X79+ i7-4820 for 400$ to buy i7-8700K and invest only motherboard.
But that's not so easy.

450$ people sell RVE+I7-5820K, and that's new platform with DDR4.

well if thats for sure the seller is giving up on his X79+i7 4820K @300$ combo price and the same goes for sr-2 with dual x5690. What can be a better option among these?
Im not sure if i should move away from enthusiast platform towards end user Z chipsets.
Perhaps if i get a x99 as low as this i wont think for a min buying it.

were do you see those prices? Best I can do to find a x99 motherboard is a used alienware Area 51 mobo, that costs about $120 CAD and then a 5830k is like $400.

where ????

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
well if thats for sure the seller is giving up on his X79+i7 4820K @300$ combo price and the same goes for sr-2 with dual x5690. What can be a better option among these?
Im not sure if i should move away from enthusiast platform towards end user Z chipsets.

where ????

Ebay and redflagdeals (if you are in Canada).

Reactions: aQi

aQi

Ebay and redflagdeals (if you are in Canada).

Iv got my relatives living in toronto. Though i use ebay worldwidely. leme see but the shipping and everything will also cost me abit higher.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Iv got my relatives living in toronto. Though i use ebay worldwidely. leme see but the shipping and everything will also cost me abit higher.

If you ship through canada post/USPS I think you can get away with a lot of stuff by simply saying its a present. I think some border fees and what not.

It would be worth it then. $120 CAD for the Alienware Area 51 motherboard would mean $92USD. I think I saw some processors that will work for that mobo as well for sale.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(

From limited testing you'll find that a 5960X and a fairly high overclocked pair of X5650's will be fairly neck and neck through a few tests. As already been stated tho, the more cores doesn't work so well for gaming, but it's an SR-2, it's not really meant for gaming more productivity and CPU grunt.

Having got both setup the X5690's that you say about being in the SR-2 might clock higher and especially with the dual CPUs, it'll be massively powerful as a work rig or productivity etc, but single core/IPC will be slower but not massively really..

I would say it would all depend on two things -

What you really want and what you will do with it
Money

If it was me, I'd try and get a deal on both and then upgrade the 4820k to something like a 4930k or a Xeon 8 core that you can overclock properly. That way you'll have best of everything, efficiency, pure CPU grunt and the monster that is the best dual overclocking board ever made, the SR-2 :) I mean look how pretty it is :D

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
We're do you nerds get the money for this?

I work a decent job and living paycheck to paycheck

aQi

If you ship through canada post/USPS I think you can get away with a lot of stuff by simply saying its a present. I think some border fees and what not.

It would be worth it then. $120 CAD for the Alienware Area 51 motherboard would mean $92USD. I think I saw some processors that will work for that mobo as well for sale.

Well but is it worth going over an sr-2 motherboard with those dual xeon x5690 overkilling everything like its still a Godzilla of motherboards and not to forget the potential hold by those dual xeons.?

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA

aQi

From limited testing you'll find that a 5960X and a fairly high overclocked pair of X5650's will be fairly neck and neck through a few tests. As already been stated tho, the more cores doesn't work so well for gaming, but it's an SR-2, it's not really meant for gaming more productivity and CPU grunt.

Having got both setup the X5690's that you say about being in the SR-2 might clock higher and especially with the dual CPUs, it'll be massively powerful as a work rig or productivity etc, but single core/IPC will be slower but not massively really..

Money

If it was me, I'd try and get a deal on both and then upgrade the 4820k to something like a 4930k or a Xeon 8 core that you can overclock properly. That way you'll have best of everything, efficiency, pure CPU grunt and the monster that is the best dual overclocking board ever made, the SR-2 :) I mean look how pretty it is :D

Man the systems look sexy though to be honest those white tubes are ruining it. As a matter of fact I am onto sr-2 because of its uniqueness plus those x5690ies are all I can put it in there.

I am going to put this into the one and only modified one of a kind Alienware case (work in progress, will take it out on this weekend to see where i can go further)

I am still talking almost daily with the seller and trying to get as low as possible......

We're do you nerds get the money for this?

I work a decent job and living paycheck to paycheck

its like working all the time and having one third of it for that level of enthusiasm :D

@all

I need exact dimensions of Evga SR-2 Classified Motherboard please. I had hover onto evga's website found 13.6x15 inch required to fit it.....my case case has some shortcomings 13.2x14.5 inch motherboard fitting area.
The seller cant figure out exactly (I was wondering why he never liked sr-2 anyway)

So I need some precise calculated dimensions here. HELP !!!

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Money

Nice loop, only I recommend to change reservoir...
Look this model. For me personaly nicest combo on market.
If you install inlet on bottom part no vortex at all even on full speed and you don't need tools to prevent vortex as acrylic version.
That's one of biggest plus for me and pyrex tube.

05.JPG

I must find more these Plugs with Allen key in middle, only them.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I get it working :p

Get me your job. I cant afford all this goods :(

Well but is it worth going over an sr-2 motherboard with those dual xeon x5690 overkilling everything like its still a Godzilla of motherboards and not to forget the potential hold by those dual xeons.?

Definitely not IMO. Your dual xeon setup is a beast. But if you want, you can get the other setup and gift me your SR-2 ;)

As for dimensions, that sounds about right. What kind of case do you have? Does it support HPTX? It seems that the SR-2 was specific about HPTX and that only specific motherboard trays will support HPTX. XL-ATX I don't think even works. Actually, only mobo I found that is a HPTX is the SR-2. Maybe there are others.

Here is a HPTX Compatible case:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...12387&cm_re=hptx_cases-_-11-112-387-_-Product

Found this regarding motherboard sizing:
https://lanoc.org/review/motherboards/5791-motherboard-sizing

According to the EVGA forums, DG-8 series of cases can fit the SR-2. Now they are not listed as HPTX, but E-ATX. But there is probably enough clearing inside that would work:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-E2-1000-K0

This case: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-E1-1000-K0

Is on sale right now too, its only $130USD it seems and comes with free shipping through EVGA.

Last edited:
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Lian Li is god of HPTX cases.
Even small cases as PC-O9, PC-O11 WX, support HPTX.

aQi

Get me your job. I cant afford all this goods :(

Definitely not IMO. Your dual xeon setup is a beast. But if you want, you can get the other setup and gift me your SR-2 ;)

As for dimensions, that sounds about right. What kind of case do you have? Does it support HPTX? It seems that the SR-2 was specific about HPTX and that only specific motherboard trays will support HPTX. XL-ATX I don't think even works. Actually, only mobo I found that is a HPTX is the SR-2. Maybe there are others.

Here is a HPTX Compatible case:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...12387&cm_re=hptx_cases-_-11-112-387-_-Product

Found this regarding motherboard sizing:
https://lanoc.org/review/motherboards/5791-motherboard-sizing

According to the EVGA forums, DG-8 series of cases can fit the SR-2. Now they are not listed as HPTX, but E-ATX. But there is probably enough clearing inside that would work:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-E2-1000-K0

This case: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-E1-1000-K0

Is on sale right now too, its only $130USD it seems and comes with free shipping through EVGA.

lol they both aren't mine im just having an opinion for what should be bought in terms of price to performance ration keeping in mind the limited budget.

these are some eye candy cases, yet I really want to stick with what I have in hand. I still got the Alienware case and has pretty much space in it. I invested a lot of time in it (No electronics used) moulding and modding it. I had to discontinue my efforts for job n other responsibilities yet now I want to finish what I started so this SR-2 looks exactly what I need. It will complete the uniqueness. Here is an idea for you and you can take a look at the mod pics I posted earlier :D
open_chassis.jpg
Take into consideration there is no separated harddrive bay with the one which I have. And as for the HTPX I still wonder about it as my case have a lot of extra motherboard mounting holes on it exceeding the length of an ATX motherboard. I always thought they were for server layout. And SR-2 is I guess already a server classified motherboard.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
It may support e-atx hence the extra motherboard mounting holes. But that doesn't mean it will support HPTX.

If you removed the Hard drive and the 5.25 drives above it (cages), then it will fit no problem. You just may not be able to mount all the motherboard mounting holes. But who cares. So long as it fits.

But that is the older Alienware cases. Cool cases BTW. But doubt they are capable of handling an HPTX motherboard. But like I said, maybe if the cages right of the motherboard mountings are removed, then it would fit.

Or you can just get the x99 motherboard and go with another processor and DDR4 ram and it will fit that alienware case as is.

aQi

It may support e-atx hence the extra motherboard mounting holes. But that doesn't mean it will support HPTX.

If you removed the Hard drive and the 5.25 drives above it (cages), then it will fit no problem. You just may not be able to mount all the motherboard mounting holes. But who cares. So long as it fits.

But that is the older Alienware cases. Cool cases BTW. But doubt they are capable of handling an HPTX motherboard. But like I said, maybe if the cages right of the motherboard mountings are removed, then it would fit.

Or you can just get the x99 motherboard and go with another processor and DDR4 ram and it will fit that alienware case as is.

Yes ofcourse you are right in that aspect but where is the uniqueness in that ? Alienware own motherboards are kind of cheap iv seen limited I/O and peripherals. I was wondering as SR-2 is quit unique and I am building the unique Alienware case. I did mentioned the case I have has unusual type of harddrive bay which does not come in contact if the motherboard is mounted behind it. Its the unusual I will show you once I open the cart again. I am wondering about the exact dimensions of the sr-2 just to have an idea if it fixes exactly into it.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
well, whatever EVGA would have posted would be exact. They can't just be "estimates" as that would be false advertising which can become a legal issue (I am assuming. USA is pretty strict on this stuff).

If you can, I would remove the drive bays if you are insistent on using your case. Only because it is metal and if the motherboard does fit behind the drive bay, you really do not want to have its metal really make contact with the motherboard on any possible areas to short it out.

Newegg states that dimensions are: 15" x 13.6"

aQi

well, whatever EVGA would have posted would be exact. They can't just be "estimates" as that would be false advertising which can become a legal issue (I am assuming. USA is pretty strict on this stuff).

If you can, I would remove the drive bays if you are insistent on using your case. Only because it is metal and if the motherboard does fit behind the drive bay, you really do not want to have its metal really make contact with the motherboard on any possible areas to short it out.

Newegg states that dimensions are: 15" x 13.6"

Newegg and perhaps all website reviews are mentioning the same as what evga has stated I am not even questioning anything the dimensions. Its good they have made themselves clear and obvious for the layout. Yet again they might have just in case increased some centimetres for users to get an idea that they may presume it is likewise. idk just want to confirm as I am short of a couple of centimetres.

You can see in the images I previously posted (im trying but aren't reuploading) the drive bay is totally hanging to the front and it smaller and yes can be removed easily if necessary.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Well, next best scenario is to ask the individual you are purchasing the SR-2 from to do the measurements.

aQi

Well, next best scenario is to ask the individual you are purchasing the SR-2 from to do the measurements.

already asked him. he says he has to dissemble his server chassis and coolers for it and he will do it once he gets spare time.

I did a regular search and found that the evga sr-2 in depth is 5 inches more then an evga 3-way sli x58 classified ATX motherboard which has a depth of 9.6 inches that makes the sr-2 depth of 14.6 inches (evga mentioned it 15 inches).

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Post #82...C'mon Phill...you're killing me.

Beautiful.

:),

Liquid Cool

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
already asked him. he says he has to dissemble his server chassis and coolers for it and he will do it once he gets spare time.

I did a regular search and found that the evga sr-2 in depth is 5 inches more then an evga 3-way sli x58 classified ATX motherboard which has a depth of 9.6 inches that makes the sr-2 depth of 14.6 inches (evga mentioned it 15 inches).

Hard to determine though in that third party sense of a mention. So it is better to seek the other guy.

Why would he have a problem removing it if he is selling it in first place? As well, he doesn't have to remove it. Just turn off the system, unplug it completely then while inside the case he can measure it.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Man the systems look sexy though to be honest those white tubes are ruining it. As a matter of fact I am onto sr-2 because of its uniqueness plus those x5690ies are all I can put it in there.

I am going to put this into the one and only modified one of a kind Alienware case (work in progress, will take it out on this weekend to see where i can go further)

I am still talking almost daily with the seller and trying to get as low as possible......

its like working all the time and having one third of it for that level of enthusiasm :D

@all

I need exact dimensions of Evga SR-2 Classified Motherboard please. I had hover onto evga's website found 13.6x15 inch required to fit it.....my case case has some shortcomings 13.2x14.5 inch motherboard fitting area.
The seller cant figure out exactly (I was wondering why he never liked sr-2 anyway)

So I need some precise calculated dimensions here. HELP !!!

The SR-2 is a massive motherboard, nearly 2 ATX motherboards side by side but you'll need a big case to fit it.. The 900D that mine came in I don't like but I'm not spending money one another one for it as this one does all it needs without any issues :)

Post #82...C'mon Phill...you're killing me.

Beautiful.

:),

Liquid Cool

Glad you like it @Liquid Cool :) I take pride and love my hardware, I have far to much but it'll only get more and worse rather than less and better !! :laugh: :roll:

Nice loop, only I recommend to change reservoir...
Look this model. For me personaly nicest combo on market.
If you install inlet on bottom part no vortex at all even on full speed and you don't need tools to prevent vortex as acrylic version.
That's one of biggest plus for me and pyrex tube.

View attachment 108371

I must find more these Plugs with Allen key in middle, only them.

I would consider changing it over to these but with funds low and the pump/res combo still working, I'm not worried about it :) Besides, I'm not sure that would fit very well in the case the way it's setup at the moment!! :laugh:

aQi

Hard to determine though in that third party sense of a mention. So it is better to seek the other guy.

Why would he have a problem removing it if he is selling it in first place? As well, he doesn't have to remove it. Just turn off the system, unplug it completely then while inside the case he can measure it.

he says he cant under a working system under populated peripherals. I can say that he remains busy. May be the sr-2 owners here can do or whom ever does it first no issue....just waiting

The SR-2 is a massive motherboard, nearly 2 ATX motherboards side by side but you'll need a big case to fit it.. The 900D that mine came in I don't like but I'm not spending money one another one for it as this one does all it needs without any issues :)

Glad you like it @Liquid Cool :) I take pride and love my hardware, I have far to much but it'll only get more and worse rather than less and better !! :laugh::roll:

I would consider changing it over to these but with funds low and the pump/res combo still working, I'm not worried about it :) Besides, I'm not sure that would fit very well in the case the way it's setup at the moment!! :laugh:

Phill can you kindly measure your sr-2 precisely and tell me the dimension. I mean to actually measure it exactly...it will be helpful.