• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Unveils the SuperNOVA G5 Series Power Supplies

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
No, evga g1, gq and now g5 is from FSP, and its not as good as Leadex platform.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

thanks I thought so, just wasn't 100% sure.

Do you know where my EVGA 850w T2 comes from? Super Flower I am guessing?

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Yes, p2 and t2 are from Super Flower.

is FSP considered as good as seasonic and super flower?
Certainly better, because Seasonic and Super Flower aren't one of the better OEM's. Yes I know many people believe something different, but there are a lot of better OEM's. However that doesn't tell's you anything about a random PSU from Seasonic, Super Flower or FSP. This PSU is likely nothing special because it uses an Active Clamp Reset Forward primary.

You cannot say FSP isn't as good as Super Flower just because you compared three mainstream 80PLUS Gold designs from FSP with Super Flower's best offering.

Last edited:
Honestly the best new power supply launch this year is the recently released Fractal design ion+ made by OEM High power, its a high quality platinum rated power supply built with high standards and is priced equivalently, sometimes even cheaper than gold rated power supplies, a very good value. It scored fantastically in many reviews, kitguru in particular said that the ion+ series is one of the best power supply purchases of 2019 !

To demonstrate even further, the ion+ 660 watts is priced at only 109$ vs the evga 650 G5 129$ and uses modern LLC resonant converter design, equipped with 780uf hold up capacitors in contrast to the 650 G5's mere 330uf, and is platinum efficiency rated ! a fantastic PSU for a bargain price

If you anyone looking for a PSU check it out !

Last edited:
Honestly the best new power supply launch this year is the recently released Fractal design ion+ made by OEM High power, its a high quality platinum rated power supply built with high standards and is priced equivalently, sometimes even cheaper than gold rated power supplies, a very good value. It scored fantastically in many reviews, kitguru in particular said its one of the best power supply purchases of 2019 !
It's an interesting offering, good fan, good performance, good quality, silent and some really flexible cables. But it isn't anything special. Don't forget that 80PLUS certification has nothing to do with quality. FSP had Aurum 92+ some years ago, 80PLUS Platinum and it sucked hard. The performance was really bad because of the group regulation.
To demonstrate even further, the ion+ 660 watts is priced at only 109$ vs the evga 650 G5 129$ and uses modern LLC resonant converter design, equipped with 780uf hold up capacitors in contrast to the 650 G5's mere 330uf, and is platinum efficiency rated ! a fantastic PSU for a bargain price
As explained already, Active Clamp Reset Forward needs a much smaller hold-up capacitor, it's one of the advantages of Active Clamp Reset Forward.

As explained already, Active Clamp Reset Forward needs a much smaller hold-up capacitor, it's one of the advantages of Active Clamp Reset Forward.
Yah, i get that but lets forget the G5 and look at the broader picture. The popular seasonic focus plus gold 650w is priced the same as the ion+ 660w platinum and i believe the focus gold 650w it has hold up capacity of 470uf or 390uf ( cant remeamber ) vs ion+ 660w 780uf, the focus gold uses the arguably cheap 120mm hong hua fan in contrast to fractals own quality 140mm fan found on the ion+ platinum and the overall design and cables are better on the ion+, in addition you get better efficiency from the ion+. So in conclusion the ion+ is one of the best price\ performance PSU today and i would say it totally obsoletes the focus plus from sea sonic cause you get more for the same price.

With all the issues from the Seasonic Focus it isn't really difficult to make something better. ;)

But it isn't about the capacity of the hold-up capacitor, it's about the hold-up time itself.

With all the issues from the Seasonic Focus it isn't really difficult to make something better. ;)
That's an interesting thing to say, now i agree there are better options and most issues of the seasonic focus i'v seen are fan quality related, however going by what you said am interested to hear what are the issues you'r talking about ?

That's an interesting thing to say, now i agree there are better options and most issues of the seasonic focus i'v seen are fan quality related, however going by what you said am interested to hear what are the issues you'r talking about ?
The Focus produced the first year had to tight OCP, which resulted in unnecessary shutdowns with many high-end cards. Because of that you needed to buy 200 or 300W higher wattage compared to other power supplies so you don't have those shutdowns.

Focus series also don't work with Asus Strix GTX 970, it's a really unstable combination. Seasonic has a special cable available with a big capacitor for this combination to radical reduce the ripple.

Other problem is that the ripple on the 12V can be higher than double the numbers that are allowed by the ATX specification before the PSU shuts off.

@-The_Mask- Do you consider my PSU to be a good one? The EVGA T2 850w?
Oh dear, yours is among the highest end consumer PSUs :peace: Its right up there with the likes of seasonic titanium ultra

I feel like you already know that but just saying that just to hear what he has to say :laugh:, after all you wouldn't pay premium for such a PSU without reading a review or two :oops:

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Oh dear, yours is among the highest end consumer PSUs :peace: Its right up there with the likes of seasonic titanium ultra

I feel like you already know that but just saying that just to hear what he has to say :laugh:, after all you wouldn't pay premium for such a PSU without reading a review or two :oops:

actually my PSU was on sale for $190 like I said... not really a premium price, only $50 more than Seasonic 850w platinum. also i haven't used it yet either. its still sealed. I'm still on a laptop. but plan to do a build eventually. I'm buying parts cheap as I go. got some b-die samsung ram 16gb 2x8 for $111 on lightning sale recently too.

actually my PSU was on sale for $190 like I said... not really a premium price, only $50 more than Seasonic 850w platinum. also i haven't used it yet either. its still sealed. I'm still on a laptop. but plan to do a build eventually. I'm buying parts cheap as I go. got some b-die samsung ram 16gb 2x8 for $111 on lightning sale recently too.
Well i can assure you its a quality PSU that will last you for multiple builds over the years

@-The_Mask- Do you consider my PSU to be a good one? The EVGA T2 850w?
Sure
I have to disagree with that, in both PSU there is enough room for improvement, to make on of the best consumer power supplies. Except of course efficiency wise, then they are on the top. But don't confuse efficiency with quality.

actually my PSU was on sale for $190 like I said... not really a premium price, only $50 more than Seasonic 850w platinum. also i haven't used it yet either. its still sealed.
You pay that much for energy that it's worth it?

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
$190 for a PSU is definitely a premium price. It's also a bit odd to say "only $50 more" when $50 is more than 33% of the total you're comparing to. Most people buy PSUs around $50, and even most high end builds don't spend close to $200 on a PSU. So don't fool yourself. Nonetheless, that is an excellent PSU that will undoubtedly last you for a decade of heavy use.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
$50 isn't that big of a deal to me, /shrug

also from my math it saves around 8 bucks a year. so after 5-6 years it will have paid for itself anyway /shrug and I intend to this to be a PSU to last a long long time.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
$50 isn't that big of a deal to me, /shrug

also from my math it saves around 8 bucks a year. so after 5-6 years it will have paid for itself anyway /shrug and I intend to this to be a PSU to last a long long time.
Whether or not it's a big deal to you doesn't affect whether it's actually a premium price. Just goes to show you're a bit out of touch with the PSU market ;) Btw, what kind of wattage/power consumption and usage per day did you calculate those savings at?

I have to disagree with that, in both PSU there is enough room for improvement, to make on of the best consumer power supplies
Sure there are better, like the mythical 1000$ fully made in Japan cooler master Power supply ( which ironically has a cooling fan made in china and is LL sleeve bearing :laugh: ), then again am tempted to ask what alternatives would you suggest cause reading your comments i get the impressions that your standers of a high quality power supply are unrealistically high

Last edited:
Well if you look at a manufacturer as Murata, Delta or Flextronics you can see that they can make a even higher quality power supply, just by looking at the layout of the PSU. That's real craftsmanship.

But also simple upgrades like a better fan or multiple OCP's on the 12V are something I would expect for by a PSU this expensive. It's something that is also possible in much cheaper power supplies, so it shouldn't be an issue for a PSU that costs a lot more.