• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA X79 Dark Motherboard Launched

Jay

What they have done with Z77 and X79 is unforgivable but to give a word of relief towards them it must not be easy to find yourself without half of your motherboard team all of a sudden.

If I was EVGA I would just have hold the production until they sorted out their internal issues.

What's that word that start's with "H" and usually comes before or after 20/20 ;)

I could have forgiven them if they released a true gamer board on x79 with a new revision for PCIe 2.0 x1/x4/x8 or even x16, in the first slot so that gamer's runnning 3x GTX GPUs but not owning an audiophile HT can still plug in the sound card or perhaps install a RevoDrive...all without interfering the lanes for the GPUs.

But I guess that it asking too much or I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for :ohwell:

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What they have done with Z77 and X79 is unforgivable but to give a word of relief towards them it must not be easy to find yourself without half of your motherboard team all of a sudden.

If I was EVGA I would just have hold the production until they sorted out their internal issues.

I know how situation with Z77 is bad, motherboards are simply not reliable because BIOS.
He make mess, but I hope in future things will be better.
I love to see EVGA motherboard throw window panel much more than some ROG.
Special expectations I have from X99, because that is Extreme and EVGA is main enthusiast brand, not as Samsung separate part for enthusiast, EVGA is build and design and specialized for enthusiast and overclockers and people who enjoy in build PC as hobby. Same as gamers, gamers want everything by little and best from everything.
Z77 is disaster, from memory and BIOS side is disaster.
I only can hope she will work until Haswell E because Haswell is same disaster as Z77 FTW.
4770K is overclocker enemy.

Last edited:
System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
I know how situation with Z77 is bad, motherboards are simply not reliable because BIOS.
Special expectations I have from X99, because that is Extreme and EVGA is main enthusiast brand, not as Samsung separate part for enthusiast, EVGA is build and design and specialized for enthusiast and overclockers and people who enjoy in build PC as hobby. Same as gamers, gamers want everything by little and best from everything.
I only can hope she will work until Haswell E because Haswell is same disaster as Z77 FTW.

EVGA hardware currently holds no OC records and their boards lack features compared to boards from companies like Gigabyte, ASUS and Asrock. The only appeal I can see in EVGA anything these days is that they have a very clean look. EVGA GPUs use a crappy but really good looking cooler occasional combined with a pointless VRM. EVGA Motherboards are similar they make the only MBs that aren't overly colorful but the VRMs are meh and the feature set vs price is even more so. For example this board is a blacker version of the of the Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion board which has a very similar VRM better sound the same number of SATA ports and the same PCI-e layout for a price that is almost certain to beat the EVGA.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

how is 4770k an overclocking enemy? It's doing 7GHz under LN2. and if you get a good chip and know what your doing you can clock pretty similar to Ivy.

GeForce_JacobF

NVIDIA GeForce Rep
EVGA hardware currently holds no OC records and their boards lack features compared to boards from companies like Gigabyte, ASUS and Asrock. The only appeal I can see in EVGA anything these days is that they have a very clean look. EVGA GPUs use a crappy but really good looking cooler occasional combined with a pointless VRM. EVGA Motherboards are similar they make the only MBs that aren't overly colorful but the VRMs are meh and the feature set vs price is even more so. For example this board is a blacker version of the of the Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion board which has a very similar VRM better sound the same number of SATA ports and the same PCI-e layout for a price that is almost certain to beat the EVGA.

There are many wrong statements here I will attempt to address each one.

EVGA probably holds more records than any other vendor today in the most important benchmarks (AKA, benchmarks that don't require to to sort through 5K+ CPU's in order to beat, and actually require very good hardware that can sustain high voltage for long periods) Example: 3DMark Fire Strike Single Card, Quad, 3DMark 11 Extreme, 3DMark Vantage. Also, have you seen this? EVGA 3D Eclipse - YouTube

But of course benchmarks aren't everything...

Second, in regards to GPU cooling performance, I suspect you have not seen the ACX cooling debut which was reviewed on TPU actually http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/31.html

Third, when it comes to motherboard VRM = Quality > Quantity and instead of using low cost VRM and pack 30+ on there, we use 12 phases with the best industry available integrated power stages with super fast regulation. (can support around 60A!) Not to mention a 12 Layer PCB. Much of the same logic here is applied to higher end graphics.

Of course its much easier to say something is great on paper, so within the next month you should see some more proof on this.

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
There are many wrong statements here I will attempt to address each one.

EVGA probably holds more records than any other vendor today in the most important benchmarks (AKA, benchmarks that don't require to to sort through 5K+ CPU's in order to beat, and actually require very good hardware that can sustain high voltage for long periods) Example: 3DMark Fire Strike Single Card, Quad, 3DMark 11 Extreme, 3DMark Vantage. Also, have you seen this? EVGA 3D Eclipse - YouTube

But of course benchmarks aren't everything...

Second, in regards to GPU cooling performance, I suspect you have not seen the ACX cooling debut which was reviewed on TPU actually http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/31.html

Third, when it comes to motherboard VRM = Quality > Quantity and instead of using low cost VRM and pack 30+ on there, we use 12 phases with the best industry available integrated power stages with super fast regulation. (can support around 60A!) Not to mention a 12 Layer PCB. Much of the same logic here is applied to higher end graphics.

Of course its much easier to say something is great on paper, so within the next month you should see some more proof on this.

The benchmarks you listed are all centered around the GPU and EVGA holds the record using 4 titans which were zombified using an addon PCB that only K|ngP|n and other EVGA inters have access to so that doesn't mean anything about their capability to produce good overclocking motherboards especially when the voltage used for that record on the CPU is 1.658v which is 150mv away from my voltage for 5Ghz and is a piece of cake sustain compared to the likes of the voltages used for CPU speed records (1.8+V). Basically EVGA right now has the best GPU overclocker using hardware no regular person will ever be able to buy and much less use on a voltage locked nNidia GPU which is the only kind of GPU EVGA makes.

The ACX in my book is not an amazing cooler what so ever it's 6C° cooler than the reference while making the same amount of noise whereas ASUS's DCUII is sub 70C° and is barely louder and with the update BIOS it does 72C° and is 6db quieter than the ACX.

12phase vrms are doubled 6 phase controllers which is inferior to the likes of Gigabyte's and ASUS's true 8 phase VRMs and I never said more phases=better just that a doubled 6+1/6+2 phase is meh when compared to the RIVE's 8+3+1 true phases. Gigabyte does the whole more phases = better but Gigabyte use controllers with switching frequencies maxing out at 2mhz so they can up the controller's frequency to compensate for the overuse of doublers on their boards.

CPU speed records need good OCing motherboards and EVGA holds no CPU speed record for the last 4 years meaning that all their previous successes are irrelevant.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I can't wait X99, than I build best PC in life with one nice EVGA Classified.
And now is important only one thing, because neighbor next week go in Chicago to visit son I'm not sure what is best to send EVGA GTX780 Classified or take when back.
Only that is under question. In my PC no place for CPU coolers with some pipes not graphic card where I see heat pipes from side...from other side 780 Classy will be perfect, pipes are covered... I like wide not fat cards.

OC Off course ASUS is best... Special in SuperPI, USB 3.0, Memory Speed,...
How that is weird when new series show up in every country, all forum leaders and owners go home with ASUS ROG presents and that start attack on our brains.
GIGABYTE is little in background because less investment in marketing and MSI rearly make records because their investment in marketing are even smaller.
Not only motherboard same is with DCII. In Belgrade they go one step further, they can sell you and model from test lab without problem without your knowledge.

Their task is with all that hardware to make records and prove how ASUS is best.
Hundreds labs, hundreds free samples.
But usually Kingpin is always in top 1st, 2nd, 3rd for EVGA most important hardware...
I mean 95% of people near LN2 have ASUS hardware, mostly free and they dictate records, they spend CPU samples as matches because ASUS is rich company. Mostly with west money.

I glad because and next hardware will be EVGA.
BUT... Motherboard section need improvement...Hard and Hard work and attention on every detail.
Enemy is rich, ugly and have strong marketing. Because of that hard work.

This stories about graphic cards I don't listen.
Thousands of people with multi GPU configurations say everything best for EVGA.
People 3-4 GPUs don't want to leave EVGA on any cost.
They swear in EVGA quality of GPU, and for me REAL NVIDIA is only EVGA.
Because I have good power of observation and because my taste is best. :).

Last edited: