• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

External Hard drive won't show up!

System Name MSI GE70
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory 8192MB RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M / 2GB GDDR5 or Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Ok, a couple weeks ago my external hard drive won't connect to ANY of the USB ports on the left side of my laptop! I'll connect it, and then it'll make the beeping noise stating that it disconnected (didn't make the sound to show it connected before), then a couple of seconds later it'll make the sound stating it disconnected again. This happens with BOTH USB Ports on my left side, but if I plug it into the port on the right side, it'll work perfectly.

And it's not like the USB ports on the left side don't work. They work with my headset and my mouse, but not my external. I looked on the Disk Management to have a look around, and when I plug the external on the left side, it doesn't even show up stating that there is anything plugged in. Even if I do a refresh on it. :banghead:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also another thing, why is it that when I have my external plugged in, and I move it, JUST BARELY, it'll disconnect? It's still plugged in and didn't even unplug a little bit, and it'll just disconnect. Are they normally that sensitive?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check in the device manager for any problems.
Try re-installing the USB 2.0 and/or usb 3.0 drivers.
Have you tried a different USB cable?
Check the pins in the ports (make sure the all look normal) and same for the cable.
Does the external drive work correctly in other systems?

The beeping noise is set in the windows sound settings (usually, applied with a theme or you can do it manually).

Mine, in Windows 7, is set to beep twice on connect (Windows Hardware Insert.wav) and three on disconnect (Windows Hardware Remove.wav).

Also another thing, why is it that when I have my external plugged in, and I move it, JUST BARELY, it'll disconnect? It's still plugged in and didn't even unplug a little bit, and it'll just disconnect. Are they normally that sensitive?

The connection may have a little play (should not be sloppy); however, it should not disconnect and re-connect while jiggling it.

Edit:
By the way... Nice laptop/notebook.:)

System Name MSI GE70
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory 8192MB RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M / 2GB GDDR5 or Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Check in the device manager for any problems.
Try re-installing the USB 2.0 and/or usb 3.0 drivers.
Have you tried a different USB cable?
Check the pins in the ports (make sure the all look normal) and same for the cable.
Does the external drive work correctly in other systems?

The beeping noise is set in the windows sound settings (usually, applied with a theme or you can do it manually).

Mine, in Windows 7, is set to beep twice on connect (Windows Hardware Insert.wav) and three on disconnect (Windows Hardware Remove.wav).

The connection may have a little play (should not be sloppy); however, it should not disconnect and re-connect while jiggling it.

Edit:
By the way... Nice laptop/notebook.:)

Okay, I'll try these out (might have to use google for some instructions :) )

I'm not sure if it works in other systems, only have one computer. And I might have to just buy another external if this thing is just unstable (meaning it disconnects too much with a little wiggle).

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

No, not typically. Try a different cable.

System Name Poor Man's Build
Processor Intel i7 3960X 4.9Ghz Sandy Bridge E
Motherboard MSi X79A-GD65 8D
Cooling XSPC 240mm and 360MM (External) Rad
Memory 64Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX770 SC ACX SLI (non water cooled yet)
Storage Intel 520 240GB SSD x2 /x2 WD Caviar Black 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS 27" 2560X1440 x3
Case Corsair 900D (upgraded from my lvl 10 gt and 600T)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i 80PLUS Platinum
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (FPP)
I have some experience with 3 different external hard drives which had similar problems even using different cables so I assume that they are all dead. not sure thought.

System Name Storm Trooper
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz 4.5 GHz O.C)
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V FORMULA z77
Cooling Corsair H100i Hydro Series
Memory G.SKILL Sniper Series 16gb
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Storage 120gb Samsung 840 Series/ 10000rpm Western Digital VelociRaptor 600gb
Display(s) 2 x ASUS Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX IV
Power Supply Corsair HX Series HX850
Software Windows 7 Home Premium
Maybe your motherboard drivers are out of date are they usb 3.0 and try disk management again to format it to your pc, I just got a new internal yesterday and I thought I was going insane because I saw it in the bios and it wasn't in "My Computer" let me know how it goes, that's if you haven't already got it

I'd check if they have proper amps to work, this looks like to be the case of unstable power supply. Check the cables, and try another external power supply for the drive. Are you using an external power supply that delivers at least 1A? Because if you are using only the USB power you have .5 on USB 2.0 and .9 on USB 3.0 (HDD are hungry sometimes), so you should plug on USB 3.0 to avoid issues.
If is a Desktop maybe you need to clean the power supply, check the fan to get stable. If is a notebook, USB will be is very limited if you use more than one port simultaneously (it divides).

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Make sure that it's plugged in the USB and switched on. Then in Device Manager choose the 'Action Tab' and 'Scan for Hardware Changes'.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I've got the EXACT same think happening with a 750GB Canvio USB3.0 drive plugged into a laptop with USB 2.0 only.

It was working like a charm for months (literally) until one time, I ejected the hardware and selected the drive itself in the list (not the root USB device). Now it gives the device connection "beep" when I plug it in, but the drive simply will not show up. It does work fine on all other computers here in the office! WTF.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Ok, here's what my problem was... somehow the drive was assigned drive letter H: In the machine I was plugging into, H: was already mapped to a network drive, so the disk had no where to show up.

Disconnect from the network. In disc management, changed the assigned drive letter to E: (which was available). It's now working. I thought the USB drive letter was dynamic. Anyway to change it so that it is? The weird thing is it seemed to be working dynamically before, don't know what changed it.

Finnigan2011

Hi All
similar problem but it is with one specific usb...others work except for one. comp beeps when plugged in but won't show up in hte my computer area...prior to mucking with drivers, is there any specific reason if may have just stopped working?