1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

external memeory

Discussion in 'Storage' started by i nEeD HeLp, May 16, 2009.

1. i nEeD HeLp

Thanks Received:
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as the cost Im not too sure, but here is the specs of the unit...its USB.

Drive Type: External
    Capacity (GB): 640
    Interface: USB 2.0
    Interface Type: USB
    Spindle Speed (RPM): 7200
    Buffer Memory: 8MB
    Form Factor: 3.5"

i nEeD HeLp says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    firstly, it says that supports usb, so u can use it on a USB port. second, is not external memory, is external hard drive. thirdly, yes, is plug and play.

i nEeD HeLp says thanks.
  4. kyle2020 Guest

All it is, in a nutshell, is a standard 640GB harddrive wedged in an external enclosure. The drive will have a SATA to USB adapter on the end, and you run a cable from that to your PC. Plug and play external storage.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. i nEeD HeLp

Thanks Received:
    ok thanks

6. twilyth Guest

A lot of people here are Tigerdirect hateboys, but maybe in Canada it's a different story. I definitely would not buy from them in the states.

That being said, it's a little light on specs. Is the case metal or plastic? Does it have a ventilation fan? What drive is on the inside? We'll assume it's a Hitachi - which is PROBABLY a good thing - but which model? That can make a difference.

You want a metal case so you get better heat dissipation. A small fan is useful for the same reason.

Most likely it has the cheapest 320gig drive Hitachi makes, so look at the price of that drive and subtract from the price and you'll see what you're paying for what seems to be a cheap plastic case. It looks stylish, but it's not like a cool external drive is going to get you laid.

Edit - there is only this 640gb (not 320 - sorry) Hitachi drive at new egg and it is $55. BUT it is not the same drive as the external model at tiger since that specifically says it only has 8mb of memory and the one at the egg has 16. Ergo, it is even cheesier than the cheesiest drive you can buy as an OEM.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    DirectCanada are cheaper on everything pretty much and you don't pay PST for non-BC residents. :)

Try them and be happier.