• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Failed to use desktop vga with laptop. (eGPU)

MR007RM

Hello!
The continuation of the adapter story did not go well. In the meantime, I bought a similar laptop with more powerful hardware. A Clevo P751TM1 laptop because of the more powerful CPU.
Now the problem is that there is no internal screen. Only the external monitor display is logged in. I heard that there is no IGP here, so the situation is different.
The bios is unlocked.
Could you help me with that?
1, where can I find the IGP unlock? I would like to use it.
2, how can I project an external vga image onto the laptop display?
(no mxm vga)

How does Clevo laptop hardware and bios work? I don't dare try very hard, I'm afraid of the black screen. What can I safely try? I'll post some photos.
((the previous MSI laptop is also there.....not for sale! :) ))

Attachments

• IMG_20220901_144343.jpg
    IMG_20220901_144343.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20220901_150506.jpg
    IMG_20220901_150506.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20220901_151016.jpg
    IMG_20220901_151016.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Képernyőfelvétel (108).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (108).jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20220913_130345.jpg
    IMG_20220913_130345.jpg
    994.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20220901_145737.jpg
    IMG_20220901_145737.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 173

dhampir_x

hey, I bought the same dock and I am trying it on my GT60 using GTX980. When I connected everything and turned on the power and the laptop, the fan on the gpu and power supply just turned on for one second and stopped. The dock did not power on. Do you know what might be causing this?

MR007RM

hey, I bought the same dock and I am trying it on my GT60 using GTX980. When I connected everything and turned on the power and the laptop, the fan on the gpu and power supply just turned on for one second and stopped. The dock did not power on. Do you know what might be causing this?
Interesting, unfortunately I have no idea. My bios is unlocked. Is the desktop power supply OK? Bios setting (SG is the internal display and Auto or PCIe is the external monitor with HDMI connection.)
Maybe I need another bios?

Now I use a Clevo laptop. There is only an external display (no igpu). When I start it, the fan stops for a moment. But then it starts and runs fine. Interesting. Did you buy the X16 version? The lossless version?
You have to open the bios and see what is set.
https://www.techinferno.com/index.php
Look for the GT60-70 topic. And look for the bios moderator named KLem. I got bios opening from him a long time ago, it helped a lot. It's even good in private. I gave him beer money. :)

dhampir_x

Interesting, unfortunately I have no idea. My bios is unlocked. Is the desktop power supply OK? Bios setting (SG is the internal display and Auto or PCIe is the external monitor with HDMI connection.)
Maybe I need another bios?

Now I use a Clevo laptop. There is only an external display (no igpu). When I start it, the fan stops for a moment. But then it starts and runs fine. Interesting. Did you buy the X16 version? The lossless version?
You have to open the bios and see what is set.
https://www.techinferno.com/index.php
Look for the GT60-70 topic. And look for the bios moderator named KLem. I got bios opening from him a long time ago, it helped a lot. It's even good in private. I gave him beer money. :)
Yea I bought the x16 version and quite a while ago. I only set it up recently. I checked my power supply and graphic card on a desktop and they powered up just fine. I just hope the dock is not faulty. With GT70, does the dock turn on without the graphic card when plugged in to the laptop? Just wondering if there is a way to check if the dock is faulty. It would be nice to know it is the faulty dock and not my incompetence.

I will give an unlocked bios a go, I have the locked version and I am running out of ideas what else to try but I suspect it probably won't make a difference, I expect the dock to at least power up when plugged in to my GT60 :(

Anyway, thanks for your reply. As with your P751tm1, I am pretty sure it doesn't support optimus so no graphic switching options to unlock. If you want to utilize the internal screen while using the dock, I think the best bet is to stick with models that support optimus like GT60, GT70 and for clevo's old p15x, p17x, p37x models, I owned a P150em before.

MR007RM

Yea I bought the x16 version and quite a while ago. I only set it up recently. I checked my power supply and graphic card on a desktop and they powered up just fine. I just hope the dock is not faulty. With GT70, does the dock turn on without the graphic card when plugged in to the laptop? Just wondering if there is a way to check if the dock is faulty. It would be nice to know it is the faulty dock and not my incompetence.

I will give an unlocked bios a go, I have the locked version and I am running out of ideas what else to try but I suspect it probably won't make a difference, I expect the dock to at least power up when plugged in to my GT60 :(

Anyway, thanks for your reply. As with your P751tm1, I am pretty sure it doesn't support optimus so no graphic switching options to unlock. If you want to utilize the internal screen while using the dock, I think the best bet is to stick with models that support optimus like GT60, GT70 and for clevo's old p15x, p17x, p37x models, I owned a P150em before.
There's my story at the beginning. I also own an MSI GT70 laptop and everything is fine with it (almost!)
1, turn on the adapter (be powered on)
2, start the laptop.
It is important that ACPI is disabled in the device manager (there will be no battery) gpu-z will be fine then. Read back, it's written for me how it was solved. Is everything connected well? (Photo)

Clevo: External display with HDMI port is perfect. I just bought this one.
https://ipon.hu/shop/termek/hannspr...yB4t2lhjItrDEE91lxClNdk4mrSRsR6RoCnhkQAvD_BwE
There will also be an internal display...it has HDMI. Show me bios photos when the bios is open.

A tip from someone, try it. Bios unlock key. I don't know if it works or not.
"press right shift, right control, left alt, f2 -> you have to press it after entering bios, it works for most models."

Attachments

• IMG_20220925_151712.jpg
    IMG_20220925_151712.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 63

dhampir_x

There's my story at the beginning. I also own an MSI GT70 laptop and everything is fine with it (almost!)
1, turn on the adapter (be powered on)
2, start the laptop.
It is important that ACPI is disabled in the device manager (there will be no battery) gpu-z will be fine then. Read back, it's written for me how it was solved. Is everything connected well? (Photo)

Clevo: External display with HDMI port is perfect. I just bought this one.
https://ipon.hu/shop/termek/hannspr...yB4t2lhjItrDEE91lxClNdk4mrSRsR6RoCnhkQAvD_BwE
There will also be an internal display...it has HDMI. Show me bios photos when the bios is open.

A tip from someone, try it. Bios unlock key. I don't know if it works or not.
"press right shift, right control, left alt, f2 -> you have to press it after entering bios, it works for most models."
Can you confirm the exact time the dock and the gpu got turned on in your case? Did it turn on as soon as you turned on the computer power supply or as soon as you turned on your laptop or when you got to Windows?

I think I get the connection right (see photo). I also tried to connect the dock to my friend’s Dell M6700 today but same thing happened..the gpu and psu fan turned and then a “click” sound then nothing was on. I am starting to think that the dock could be faulty :(

Attachments

• 16B02558-99CA-449C-B6B0-CFEECE9F7DEF.jpeg
    16B02558-99CA-449C-B6B0-CFEECE9F7DEF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102

MR007RM

Can you confirm the exact time the dock and the gpu got turned on in your case? Did it turn on as soon as you turned on the computer power supply or as soon as you turned on your laptop or when you got to Windows?

I think I get the connection right (see photo). I also tried to connect the dock to my friend’s Dell M6700 today but same thing happened..the gpu and psu fan turned and then a “click” sound then nothing was on. I am starting to think that the dock could be faulty :(
When I turn on the laptop, the dock starts immediately and the fan spins. The led on the dock starts to light up and work only after the laptop is switched on.

Is the mxm connector not damaged? Or just dirty? Based on the photo, it looks ugly.

dhampir_x

When I turn on the laptop, the dock starts immediately and the fan spins. The led on the dock starts to light up and work only after the laptop is switched on.

Is the mxm connector not damaged? Or just dirty? Based on the photo, it looks ugly.
Yea, the dock was sitting on my work shelf collecting dust before I finally had time and patience to test it out. Looks like it could be the mxm connector or the dock. I think I will just get another one to test it sometime later. I will keep you updated if I get one running if you like. Thanks for your help and congratulation for getting yours running well.

MR007RM

Yea, the dock was sitting on my work shelf collecting dust before I finally had time and patience to test it out. Looks like it could be the mxm connector or the dock. I think I will just get another one to test it sometime later. I will keep you updated if I get one running if you like. Thanks for your help and congratulation for getting yours running well.
Yes, if there is anything, please let me know!
(((According to my friends, there is a problem with the power supply. The power supply is weak. Another desktop power supply?))))...I know you said you tested it separately......
I have shared the problem with others if you don't mind.

(((According to my friends, there is a problem with the power supply. The power supply is weak. Another desktop power supply?))))...I know you said you tested it separately......
I would like to fix it.....several people say that you have the wrong bios version on your machine!
They read what you wrote. That's what they're betting on.

Last edited:

dhampir_x

I would like to fix it.....several people say that you have the wrong bios version on your machine!
They read what you wrote. That's what they're betting on.
Ok, I will see what I can do with changing the bios. I have not tried flashing a bios in my machine.

MR007RM

IMG_20220930_202359.jpg
IMG_20220930_211854.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221001_221807.jpg
    IMG_20221001_221807.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20221001_221820.jpg
    IMG_20221001_221820.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20221001_222209.jpg
    IMG_20221001_222209.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

MR007RM

Upgrade.....Geforce RTX 3080 Ti

Attachments

• IMG_20221020_004340.jpg
    IMG_20221020_004340.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Képernyőfelvétel (310).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (310).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Képernyőfelvétel (316).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (316).jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Képernyőfelvétel (334).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (334).jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Képernyőfelvétel (335).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (335).jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Képernyőfelvétel (336).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (336).jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Képernyőfelvétel (337).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (337).jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Képernyőfelvétel (338).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (338).jpg
    166 KB · Views: 70
  • Képernyőfelvétel (340).jpg
    Képernyőfelvétel (340).jpg
    229 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20221021_232845.jpg
    IMG_20221021_232845.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 95

zex4

this project is insane tbh i have also a clevo p775dm3 with unlocked bios for years now but sadly the original 1060 dying slowly after many repairs until now :(

how are you doing so far ? everything is still working ?

Tecchie

Hello!
The continuation of the adapter story did not go well. In the meantime, I bought a similar laptop with more powerful hardware. A Clevo P751TM1 laptop because of the more powerful CPU.
Now the problem is that there is no internal screen. Only the external monitor display is logged in. I heard that there is no IGP here, so the situation is different.
The bios is unlocked.
Could you help me with that?
1, where can I find the IGP unlock? I would like to use it.
2, how can I project an external vga image onto the laptop display?
(no mxm vga)

How does Clevo laptop hardware and bios work? I don't dare try very hard, I'm afraid of the black screen. What can I safely try? I'll post some photos.
((the previous MSI laptop is also there.....not for sale! :) ))

Edit to add that I've been a long time lurker, like 15+ years and thought I had an account, apparently I did not.. haha

Wanted to say I have the P775DM-G, Z170 chipset, fully unlocked and modified BIOS.

I will tell you on these Clevo series of Desktop replacement laptops, DO NOT enable the iGPU. There is no MUX circuit and you will end up with a blank display. If this happens, you'll have to reset the BIOS by holding FN + D if memort serves. I believe right when you power it up.. hold those two keys.

Mine is modified by DSANKE to also have the CoffeeTime mods, inclduing support for Xeons and up to the i9-9900K (onlly requiring to cover a few pads on the bottom of the CPU). But I was looking into playing with this MXM extesion adapter but the x16 version.. I wish there was a US seller so I could get it faster

I currently have a i7-6700K and 64GB of ram, plus a GTX 970m 6GB.

my point is these models mostly don;'t have the MUX chip to use the iGPU..