• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Fallout 4 (Discussion)

Processor I5 4690K @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
Cooling Swiftech H140X
Memory 16GB Crucial BallistiX 1866Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Storage 850 PRO 1TB SSD, 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS 1440P, 144HZ 16:9
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
Brightness on the pip-boy isn't changeable as yet. Changing the color to something with less contrast does work.

The plants are...crappy. I've had the same issue with the tatos at Abernathy farms (the ones that Bethesda put in). Between that, and certain settlements not producing bottlecaps, leads me to believe that Bethesda has more issues to deal with.

Yay.

Yeah IMO the entire settlement based gameplay is in something of an ALPHA / BETA mode..... that probably wont ever be fixed directly by Bethesda.....

Theres a few mods on NEXUS that I am using that are pretty cool for building.... but yeah these little minor bugs are just killing it overall for the settlements. I get attacked in some places and all the super mutant SPAWN inside my walls. ....

So far I am using a mod that allows you build robots around your settlements (for defense or maintenance)

Also another mod that adds 100s of more objects to use for building such as more prefab houses and the materials used in covenant.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I know you can change colors for the Pip somewhere in the settings, Conroer..... I saw that somewhere......
Ah Ahzz thanks however I meant the flashlight from the Pipboy is too bright.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Sorry, misunderstood :(

Yeah IMO the entire settlement based gameplay is in something of an ALPHA / BETA mode..... that probably wont ever be fixed directly by Bethesda.....

Theres a few mods on NEXUS that I am using that are pretty cool for building.... but yeah these little minor bugs are just killing it overall for the settlements. I get attacked in some places and all the super mutant SPAWN inside my walls. ....

So far I am using a mod that allows you build robots around your settlements (for defense or maintenance)

Also another mod that adds 100s of more objects to use for building such as more prefab houses and the materials used in covenant.

Agreed.

My problem is that Bethesda has been working on this longer than most studios get to release any AAA game. They've not been forced to learn about a new engine, they've not been forced to create a gigantic world (read: Skyrim and Fallout 3 both had huge expanses of nothing), and they've not really been forced to meet any deadlines.

Despite this, what is released is more potential than realized game. The settlement system is interesting, but has no real tutorial and lacks enough content to be truly great. The leveling system is streamlined, but after level 50 there isn't enough content to make it interesting (seriously, at level 70 the enemies are just bullet sponge variations). The game is mostly stable, except for many random crashes during the loading screens (which never seem to output a crash code you can look into fixing). Factions are interesting, but the endings are so muddled that a very viable "happy" ending (3/4 main factions are your allies) requires jumping through hoops that make no sense despite the fully voice acted results. So much has been put into the game, but so little of it feels genuinely complete.

I guess you can sum it up as "another Bethesda release that's only genuinely great once the community fixes all the Bethesda quirks."

I hate being correct sometimes. I predicted this months ago. Bethesda was allowed to release another game 75% done, and have the community fix the remaining 25%. Sigh...
At least the game is mostly stable this time, and the community is already hard at work fixing all the crap Bethesda either can't or won't touch.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Agreed.

My problem is that Bethesda has been working on this longer than most studios get to release any AAA game. They've not been forced to learn about a new engine, they've not been forced to create a gigantic world (read: Skyrim and Fallout 3 both had huge expanses of nothing), and they've not really been forced to meet any deadlines.

Despite this, what is released is more potential than realized game. The settlement system is interesting, but has no real tutorial and lacks enough content to be truly great. The leveling system is streamlined, but after level 50 there isn't enough content to make it interesting (seriously, at level 70 the enemies are just bullet sponge variations). The game is mostly stable, except for many random crashes during the loading screens (which never seem to output a crash code you can look into fixing). Factions are interesting, but the endings are so muddled that a very viable "happy" ending (3/4 main factions are your allies) requires jumping through hoops that make no sense despite the fully voice acted results. So much has been put into the game, but so little of it feels genuinely complete.

I guess you can sum it up as "another Bethesda release that's only genuinely great once the community fixes all the Bethesda quirks."

I hate being correct sometimes. I predicted this months ago. Bethesda was allowed to release another game 75% done, and have the community fix the remaining 25%. Sigh...
At least the game is mostly stable this time, and the community is already hard at work fixing all the crap Bethesda either can't or won't touch.

You know, for all the noise of "It's broke!!!", I'm afraid I'm ok with this layout. Considering some of the other crap that so many other companies have put out (Evolve), without any means to fix it at all (Dungeon Siege 3), and even some of them promising those tools and never delivering (Tribes:Ascend), I'm ok with Beth's process. They put out a solid base, and then give the community the tools to fix some of the things that don't work, as well as allowing (still free of charge!) that same community to shape the game the way that they want to play it.

Sure, they're profiting from the player-base/mod community by just letting stuff go, knowing "we" will fix it, but when you look at some of the abortions that get released to market with no way to repair them, much less improve on them, I prefer this model. I even prefer this over one that's more polished with less problems, but doesn't allow us to make changes. I'm more of an Open-world sort of guy, and I want the ability to download a mod to change my gameplay and play it again.

Yeah, I'm a Bethesda FanBoy. I've got TES Arena in its original box on my shelf, and hated Daggerfail. I enjoyed Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. They had release problems, and bugs, but when it came down to it, they let the community tear it all down and build it up around that framework. I love almost more than anything, looking at what people have done with those frameworks, and I'm looking forward to seeing the real mods come to life when they give those tools out for FO4.

edit: hahahah almost forgot the worst one recently: Batman Arkham Knight.... yeah, that was a keeper.....

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I've sunk about 130 hours into this game. Whatever problems it has doesn't bother me. It's a very good game and keeps me entertained. As clunky as it is, I really love the base building... Sometimes I get a bit bored with it so I'll do a mission. Sometimes I don't feel like doing missions so I go out and explore one of the countless neat areas in the game. There's so much content. I haven't needed to install any mods or do any fixes. I'm positive, through my experience with the game that those animatedly complaining about it are overblowing whatever minor issues they are dealing with.

Cooling Swiftech H140X
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
its good to see the various opinions on the game. As I said before it all comes down to your tolerance of these bugs.... For me my 1st play through was 120 hours.... and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the crap out of this game, and do plan on a replay. I would say I have a balanced tolerance. I notice the bugs, hope for a fix, and continue. Some people would just rage quit because of these things (Yes overblown reaction), and some people will play this game and never notice a single bug we have pointed out.

But still, lilhasselhoffer has made some solid points not only in his post above, but everything related to the overall laziness of Bethesda and learning how to refine their very very old engine they keep reusing. This is the very reason we call this "another Bethesda game" when it could have been something like Witcher 3 where you just are struck in amazement by the level of detail, refinement and testing they did for that amazing end result.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
I wonder if the GECK modding will make snap and build actually happen? Homemaker, Greenhouse, SSex and other crafting mods really have expanded what the base workshop offers - yay concrete walls and gothic looking fences! However even building a wall and then a floor on top of it with another wall is excruciatingly painful.
You have to do all kind of jinkies to get it to sometimes snap into place or even lay the item down - assuming it even works at all.

That really sucks the life out of it for me.

Jborn is also right about the engine rehash. I keep telling myself one day there will be a TES/Fallout game not using Gamebryo. When I no longer see the words Invalidate or Archive in regards to the mods, I'll finally know we've moved onto a better place.
Man, Qarl's Texture Pack just came to mind. It's been almost ten years since Oblivion hit the shelves.. and when looking at the stock versions of Fallout 3/New Vegas/Skyrim, I can't help but think they really haven't come far at all.

Funny, with Morrowind, graphics never crossed my mind - I was too busy trying to ghetto attack Ordinators from funky wall positions, so they couldn't one shot me.

I've sunk about 130 hours into this game. Whatever problems it has doesn't bother me. It's a very good game and keeps me entertained. As clunky as it is, I really love the base building... Sometimes I get a bit bored with it so I'll do a mission. Sometimes I don't feel like doing missions so I go out and explore one of the countless neat areas in the game. There's so much content. I haven't needed to install any mods or do any fixes. I'm positive, through my experience with the game that those animatedly complaining about it are overblowing whatever minor issues they are dealing with.

"I have put in 100 hours, so I know that your experience and complaints are entirely invalid."

You'll excuse me, but I call BS on that.

At the 130 hour mark I'd explored about 70% of the world. I'd done a grand total of 1 story mission. I hadn't been to Diamond City. I was in the 40's for my level, and still looking forward to upgrading things. On top of all of this, the enemies were still a reasonable challenge, if somewhat bullet spongey. Bethesda is amazing at forcing level grinding, samey missions, and lackluster enemies to feel like something far better.

I've got significantly more hours into the game now, and the novelty has worn off. All of my bases are built, and the only thing left is the annoyances of defenses and constantly cycling "go out and murder a location" missions. I've gotten to the point where a stealth double shot laser to the head doesn't kill enemies (x4.2 stealth bonus). I've gotten here, without ever journeying to the institute. If you'd like to make the blanket statement that there aren't any problems with the game, then perhaps you should play a little while longer. Perhaps you should do the 100th "murder everybody at this map location," and tell me that the content isn't 90% of one type of thing with 10% spiced up quests. Perhaps you should consider things prior to saying that nobody else's opinions matter. If not, then my opinion is better than yours because I've put more hours in. Just saying that makes me feel stupid.

I can respect the casual player that says a 20 hour game is a huge amount of content. I can understand people not seeing through the crap, to understand that Bethesda took the better part of a decade to apply new paint to the same mechanics of the old games, borrow successful mechanics from genres that they failed at emulating in 3, and haphazardly shoe horned in things that are currently popular (read: building sims/settlements). Heck, I can even admit that the simplified mechanics (no more points/level for mastering skills is awesome, even if it does make the game less RPG and more FPS) are nice. What I can't admit is that this isn't another fundamentally deeply flawed game that needs fixing. I'd like Bethesda to do it, but I'm a realist. The community will fix this game. By the time we can "officially" mod it there'll be thousands of mods. Nobody else is allowed to do this in the entertainment industry. I say this is another Bethesda game, because it's a half built pile of blocks that they expect the community to build into a game.

I show such disrespect for your opinion, because it's a joke. Everyone bemoans Counterstrike, Call of Duty, and NFL/FIFA games because they functionally pump out a game every year and the only change is players and statistics. Bethesda has put out one game multiple times since Oblivion. Somehow, Bethesda gets a pass while EA/Activision get lambasted. Why? Why are people incapable of admitting they like this crap. I like the one game Bethesda has put out over the last decade, in all its flavors. This doesn't mean it isn't deeply flawed, only that its flaws don't make it unplayable. To tell anyone else that their opinion doesn't matter, because they haven't yet found the end of the content, is surprisingly ignorant. I expected better, but I guess I get the same results as Fallout 4. Ba-dum-tish.

If I wanted a functionally flawless and whole experience I'd look at something from High Moon or CD Projekt Red. Both studios release experiences worth having. Bethesda doesn't. Bethesda releases popcorn, that after eating a full tub of you feel dirty. You shouldn't like it, but it was impossible to stop eating because that tiny little bit of butter and salt made an otherwise bland and samey experience feel awesome. I don't begrudge people who love popcorn, I have a problem with the movie theater who has reheated the same popcorn for a week, cheaped out on the artificial flavoring pump so that the flavoring isn't distributed evenly, and despite knowing all of this continues to be viewed as some sort of saint because they "allow" you to bring in your own popcorn. Apparently having standards makes me incorrect.

So, how's that Star Wars Battlefront going? Maybe a little too soon there. What about Titanfall? Maybe Destiny, Payday 2, and Evolve are better examples where standards weren't worth having. No....no response to the community demanding standards and quality from everyone except Bethesda. Fine, I just don't want to hear any complaints when the next Elder Scrolls game releases in such a half done fashion that the community has to create its own ending. Hyperbole, but considering all the half finished crap here I wouldn't be surprised.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
"I have put in 100 hours, so I know that your experience and complaints are entirely invalid."

You'll excuse me, but I call BS on that.

At the 130 hour mark I'd explored about 70% of the world. I'd done a grand total of 1 story mission. I hadn't been to Diamond City. I was in the 40's for my level, and still looking forward to upgrading things. On top of all of this, the enemies were still a reasonable challenge, if somewhat bullet spongey. Bethesda is amazing at forcing level grinding, samey missions, and lackluster enemies to feel like something far better.

I've got significantly more hours into the game now, and the novelty has worn off. All of my bases are built, and the only thing left is the annoyances of defenses and constantly cycling "go out and murder a location" missions. I've gotten to the point where a stealth double shot laser to the head doesn't kill enemies (x4.2 stealth bonus). I've gotten here, without ever journeying to the institute. If you'd like to make the blanket statement that there aren't any problems with the game, then perhaps you should play a little while longer. Perhaps you should do the 100th "murder everybody at this map location," and tell me that the content isn't 90% of one type of thing with 10% spiced up quests. Perhaps you should consider things prior to saying that nobody else's opinions matter. If not, then my opinion is better than yours because I've put more hours in. Just saying that makes me feel stupid.

I can respect the casual player that says a 20 hour game is a huge amount of content. I can understand people not seeing through the crap, to understand that Bethesda took the better part of a decade to apply new paint to the same mechanics of the old games, borrow successful mechanics from genres that they failed at emulating in 3, and haphazardly shoe horned in things that are currently popular (read: building sims/settlements). Heck, I can even admit that the simplified mechanics (no more points/level for mastering skills is awesome, even if it does make the game less RPG and more FPS) are nice. What I can't admit is that this isn't another fundamentally deeply flawed game that needs fixing. I'd like Bethesda to do it, but I'm a realist. The community will fix this game. By the time we can "officially" mod it there'll be thousands of mods. Nobody else is allowed to do this in the entertainment industry. I say this is another Bethesda game, because it's a half built pile of blocks that they expect the community to build into a game.

I show such disrespect for your opinion, because it's a joke. Everyone bemoans Counterstrike, Call of Duty, and NFL/FIFA games because they functionally pump out a game every year and the only change is players and statistics. Bethesda has put out one game multiple times since Oblivion. Somehow, Bethesda gets a pass while EA/Activision get lambasted. Why? Why are people incapable of admitting they like this crap. I like the one game Bethesda has put out over the last decade, in all its flavors. This doesn't mean it isn't deeply flawed, only that its flaws don't make it unplayable. To tell anyone else that their opinion doesn't matter, because they haven't yet found the end of the content, is surprisingly ignorant. I expected better, but I guess I get the same results as Fallout 4. Ba-dum-tish.

If I wanted a functionally flawless and whole experience I'd look at something from High Moon or CD Projekt Red. Both studios release experiences worth having. Bethesda doesn't. Bethesda releases popcorn, that after eating a full tub of you feel dirty. You shouldn't like it, but it was impossible to stop eating because that tiny little bit of butter and salt made an otherwise bland and samey experience feel awesome. I don't begrudge people who love popcorn, I have a problem with the movie theater who has reheated the same popcorn for a week, cheaped out on the artificial flavoring pump so that the flavoring isn't distributed evenly, and despite knowing all of this continues to be viewed as some sort of saint because they "allow" you to bring in your own popcorn. Apparently having standards makes me incorrect.

So, how's that Star Wars Battlefront going? Maybe a little too soon there. What about Titanfall? Maybe Destiny, Payday 2, and Evolve are better examples where standards weren't worth having. No....no response to the community demanding standards and quality from everyone except Bethesda. Fine, I just don't want to hear any complaints when the next Elder Scrolls game releases in such a half done fashion that the community has to create its own ending. Hyperbole, but considering all the half finished crap here I wouldn't be surprised.
tl:dr

Nope. Having fun playing Fallout 4. You can dig in and analyze that until your last keystroke, but it is what it is.

I still play Battlefront with friends, but not really alone. I have no idea where your hostility is coming from, but perhaps you need a different hobby if this one gets you upset.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Positive update, I have fixed my VATS : Limb selection issue.
In the Fallout4.ini (in your Documents>My Games location), there is a line titled 'fDirectionalDeadzone=' under the Controls section. If this is at a value of 0.000 (all zeroes) it causes problems. I amended it to something minute like 0.1000 and now VATS is fully functional.
I'm running around my settlements, pointing guns at people and spamming VATS just so I can target their limbs endlessly, oh the freedom!

I was so happy I played in the rain - here are some tourist shots from Revere Beach.

Attachments

• Fallout4_2015_12_18_22_51_05_778.jpg
    Fallout4_2015_12_18_22_51_05_778.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 404
  • Fallout4_2015_12_18_22_51_12_365.jpg
    Fallout4_2015_12_18_22_51_12_365.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 393
  • Fallout4_2015_12_18_22_51_54_631.jpg
    Fallout4_2015_12_18_22_51_54_631.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 383
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
I wonder if the GECK modding will make snap and build actually happen?
Possibly, but snap-build means it's a grid based and based on what I know from RCT and SimCity communities, plenty people hate grid.

You have to do all kind of jinkies to get it to sometimes snap into place or even lay the item down - assuming it even works at all.
How about this mod?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2683/?
I'm still in 1st playthrough, can't try it.

Man, Qarl's Texture Pack just came to mind. It's been almost ten years since Oblivion hit the shelves.. and when looking at the stock versions of Fallout 3/New Vegas/Skyrim, I can't help but think they really haven't come far at all.
if you have the one-file version, keep it. The last time I know, it's broken link.

Funny, with Morrowind, graphics never crossed my mind - I was too busy trying to ghetto attack Ordinators from funky wall positions, so they couldn't one shot me.
Lol It's the clunkiest of the clunkiest.

Bethesda is amazing at forcing level grinding, samey missions, and lackluster enemies to feel like something far better.

I'm curious about this one.
I agree the content is lackluster - though probably only can be felt by veteran like us.

But what open world game that doesn't have this content issue?
Witcher 3, current game of the year has this exact issue, beautiful world but boring sidequests. Not sure why you said CDPR flawless function/experience wise (it has 600+ bugs at the beginning and combat doesn't fixed months later). Witcher 2 on the other side is almost Telltale game.
GTA series, the billion dollar franchise has the same issue (go there, kill that - even on main quest). You can do plenty of other things but mostly silly or one time amusement things.
Far Cry series, the same. Worse, the "liberate outpost" thingie is the same between AC, FarCry, and WatchDogs.

Even highly praised games like Bioshock, Wolfenstein, Dark Souls 2, or Tomb Raider eventually feel repetitive at 20-30% completion, and that's about 10-30 hours in the game.

I'm curious about this one.
I agree the content is lackluster - though probably only can be felt by veteran like us.

But what open world game that doesn't have this content issue?
Witcher 3, current game of the year has this exact issue, beautiful world but boring sidequests. Not sure why you said CDPR flawless function/experience wise (it has 600+ bugs at the beginning and combat doesn't fixed months later). Witcher 2 on the other side is almost Telltale game.
GTA series, the billion dollar franchise has the same issue (go there, kill that - even on main quest). You can do plenty of other things but mostly silly or one time amusement things.
Far Cry series, the same. Worse, the "liberate outpost" thingie is the same between AC, FarCry, and WatchDogs.

Even highly praised games like Bioshock, Wolfenstein, Dark Souls 2, or Tomb Raider eventually feel repetitive at 20-30% completion, and that's about 10-30 hours in the game.

Just Cause has virtually no story, and doesn't pretend to. They invested time into producing the best possible murder sandbox, and gave you enough tools to do it however you see fit. The saving grace for this series is it doesn't pretend to be a story, only a murderous sand box.

Far Cry 3 and 4 both had immensely like able and animate villains. Their random encounters were actually pretty awesome, and I hit the end of the game well before the content reached the point of being boring. The saving grace for this series is that the game is paced such that content nuggets exist well into the story's end, and they don't exactly pile in a ton of frustratingly samey side missions.

Terraria is the definition of a sandbox without a story. The developer has absolutely no story in the game, no objectives, and yet I've poured hundreds of hours into that game. Between mild modding support, and the ability to set your own objectives without interference from half-baked mechanics, Terraria is interesting because it just does what I want it to do.

Let's now focus on Bethesda's progeny, to show why the above doesn't apply.

First off, there's a definite story with multiple players. That means you've got to pace content such that its consumption and your mechanics are not at odds. By linking level progression, perks, a level curve that starts to overhang, and constantly repeating quests as the "reward" for a faction you wind-up at odds here. Removing the level cap is great, but in its place you've installed a system which requires players grind to get fun perks. This, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing, as it allows casual players to progress, while hard core players can chew through content as they see fit. The problem then becomes whether or not there's content enough to cover your infinite progress scheme. Bethesda doesn't have this. As you increase in level the enemies get better stats constantly, but you run out of weapons to match their additional statistics at about level 50. Really, the plasma cartridges are surprisingly rare and that's arguably the best weapon for most players (explosives being of limited use inside areas, and melee becoming difficult at high levels). As you continue to level there's no way to make yourself match enemy progress, because perks run out and weaponry does too. At this point enemies become bullet sponges, and the grind becomes apparent to the player.

Second, is the game 95% mechanically. Absolutely not. CD Projekt Red did eventually fix almost every error in the Witcher 3. Their errors were therefore annoying, but tolerable. Let's look back at Bethesda's work. Fallout 3 is, to this day, an unstable mess without community mods. Likewise, New Vegas (a project they had oversight on, but did not develop) is still buggy today. More recently, let's look at Skyrim. Bethesda put out patches at lightning speed on that game. Unfortunately, each patch seemed to break something new. My experience with that game was that I fought a dragon without any issues, had it respawn and it died without issues a second time, and two patches later that dragon flew backwards circles around me without any animations before teleporting off. I can accept errors, but Bethesda has a track record of either causing more during "fixing" or entirely not addressing them. This breaks the game, because every CTD puts me 2-3 minutes farther away from enjoying the game and its excessive loading screens.

Finally, can I just explore? Surprisingly, the answer there is no. Often a radiant quest involves you going somewhere and killing a named NPC. If you explore constantly you murder these enemies as a matter of course, and only hours later find the NPC who could have filled you in on why they were special. Worse yet, this is easy to rectify. If Bethesda could be bothered spawns would be related to quests. In reality, they aren't. You can fail missions by killing hostiles you encountered at random, kill named enemies without ever knowing why they're named, and all of this just because exploration is definitely not the focus of the game. Bethesda has done a wonderful job giving us one complete story, and hundreds of little ones, but they've done nothing to link them together. That's just depressing, when so much effort in developing the world is lost simply because we didn't play how they wanted. We didn't decide to cut off viable content in order to finish the main story. That's a disappointing lack of thought, that we've tolerated from Bethesda for years. I'm beyond even asking them to fix this, but not raising it as an issue lets them say it's acceptable. I'm definitely not accepting it like a sheep.

This game isn't bad, but with seven years between installments on the same engine I expected better. We should ask for better.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Last edited by a moderator:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
please do not feed the mailman. on topic plez.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
That's because he's retarded.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
Cooling Swiftech H140X
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've been too busy or too sick since release to get addicted, only just recently hit 70 hours and passed the halfway point for achievements.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
That achievement is sooooo true (I live in CT).

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Starting to wish you could send any settler to any settlement. I don't see the point in having all these small locations dotted around, when they know that most people will use Sanctuary as the main. And even though I wanted to be different and have the MinuteMen headquarters be elsewhere from Sanctuary, I haven't found any where that's suitable. West Everett Estates or Fort Hagen would have been nice, though you can't use those.

So far Abernathy Farms is my secondary, because of all the pre plotted vegetation and the soil plots on both sides of the house (which is cool as well). It's the lack of additional space or buildings that make it unsuitable as any thing other than a farm.

Which means I can stop using Sanctuary as a primary location for GMO food manufacturing. This is particularly good since I get that plant/food bug a lot where you can't harvest or select/move a plant in the workshop. All of the ones in places like Abernathy and Crossing, are working 100%.

The boathouse was fun to setup as some type of big defense check point along the road, though with the infrequency of raiders and the realization that there probably won't be many mutant caravans passing by, it's kinda wasted.

When I unlock a new settlement, I check to see if the native inhabitants can be moved at which point I send them to Abernathy, Boathouse or Sanctuary. If they cannot be moved then I lay down a small generator, a spot light, a recruitment radio beacon, three wooden defensive posts, a water pump, five mutfruit trees and five sleeping bags. I assign one of the workers to the food, one to the three defense posts and then send a spare person from Sanctuary to act as the supply line. Then I check every several days on how they are doing, though otherwise I forget about them intentionally.

Settlements just seem futile to me and the never ending grind of amending, moving, rebuilding and spending hours playing Fallout Minecraft, is leading me into nothing tangible.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Witcher 3, current game of the year has this exact issue, beautiful world but boring sidequests

Um, the exact opposite is what made this game stand out...the fact that the side quests were fully realized, some taking many hours to complete, with branching story lines. Also, they all complemented and fell right in line with the lore/backstory/main story. That's what sets their stupendous sidequests off as miles better than any side quest Bethesda has ever been able to create.