• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

fan control

blateman

since i have used fan control on atitools i have some probleme with my graphic card temperature.
before i have installed it gpu temperature was on 69°c on my desktop.
when i played it never jump 75°c
and now when i am on my desktop without doing anything my gpu is on 95°c (i have lunched atitool before it goes to high!)

is there any solution to solve this problem?
for the moment i have to keep atitools on

thanks for helping me quickly
nb: atitool v 0.24
ati radeon x850 pro his vivo edition

Last edited:

POGE

Processor Turion 64 ML-34 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Compaq Laptop Mobo
Cooling Stock Compaq Laptop Fan
Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Video Card(s) Radeon 200m
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Display(s) Stock Laptop LCD
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Stock Laptop Powerbrick
Software Windows XP Pro
Um... wow. Thats strange. Make sure your fan isnt jammed. If it isnt, feel the heatsink and if it isnt hot, then your temperature probe is simply misreading.

Processor i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
Cooling Swiftech Apogee XT
Memory 2x4GB 1600MHz 8-8-8-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire 7950 100352-3L
Storage 1 Samsung 830 256G, 1 Samsung 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
Power Supply XFX 850W Black Edition
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I get that same problem when I click "reset" in ATITool fan contols. Rebooting or manually setting the fan controls fixes it for me.

blateman

thaks for this quick answer , shyet seems to be right.
i have just clicked on reset and rebooted my computer.
every thing is ok!
probably a bug with 0.24 ati tool not reported.
my configuration is:
Asrock dual sata 2 with amd x2 3800+
1 giga ddr 400 (for the moment)
his ati radeon x 850 pro vivo edition agp
2 hdd maxtor (133) 7500 rpm (for the moment)
1 raid controler sillicon image 0680
1 dvd
1 cd recorder
alim 480w generic
1 tunner tv pinacle system pc tv rave

Phane

I've got a similar problem. When I first ran ATI Tool it said my fan speed was 16%. Now, after a cold boot, my fan will be running at 54%. This happens even though I unchecked "Override Fan Settings" and even tried the Reset thingee. When I hit reset the lowest fan speed listed on the dynamic settings changes to 31%. After rebooting, this is automatically being changed to... you guessed it... 54%, even if I have Override fan settings disabled. It seems there is no way to truly go back to default fan settings after using 0.24 to change the fan settings.

I guess it's not quite as bad as having your card running at 91 degrees but mine's at 41 degrees with the fan still blowing away at 54%. I'm worried it will wear out the fan eventually.

Specs:
P4.C 2.8ghz
2GB OCZ 2-3-2-5 RAM (2x1MB PC3200)
Radeon X800 XL 256MB AGB 8X
Asus P4P800 Deluxe MB
WD 160GB 7200RPM SATA 150 HDD

Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Phane said:
I've got a similar problem. When I first ran ATI Tool it said my fan speed was 16%. Now, after a cold boot, my fan will be running at 54%. This happens even though I unchecked "Override Fan Settings" and even tried the Reset thingee. When I hit reset the lowest fan speed listed on the dynamic settings changes to 31%. After rebooting, this is automatically being changed to... you guessed it... 54%, even if I have Override fan settings disabled. It seems there is no way to truly go back to default fan settings after using 0.24 to change the fan settings.

I guess it's not quite as bad as having your card running at 91 degrees but mine's at 41 degrees with the fan still blowing away at 54%. I'm worried it will wear out the fan eventually.

Specs:
P4.C 2.8ghz
2GB OCZ 2-3-2-5 RAM (2x1MB PC3200)
Radeon X800 XL 256MB AGB 8X
Asus P4P800 Deluxe MB
WD 160GB 7200RPM SATA 150 HDD

hmm, 54% actually sounds about right. My GTO2 shipped with a X800XL BIOS and the fan always ran at 54% when idle. Of course the fan speed goes up as the GPU gets hotter. I just flashed my card with the X850XT BIOS since I just installed the ATI Silencer Rev5 and now fan speeds are all different.

Your fan running at 16%, I would guess it was a cold day? Do you remember your GPU temps when it was running at 16%? Either way, I don't see how running your fan at 54% will wear it out.

As for the reset function, here's what it says on the ATI Tool documentation:

" Clicking on reset loads a temperature vs. speed table which is hardcoded into ATITool onto the temp. chip. The table is not loaded from the video card BIOS, since it is unknown where and how the information is encoded there."

What I understand from that is, the fan settings doesn't actually "reset". ATITool sends it's own fan settings into your card. I wouldn't use these settings as they seem messed up :wtf: but once you reboot, it will default to your original cards fan setting as long as you keep the "override fan settings" unchecked.

Phane

shyet said:
hmm, 54% actually sounds about right. My GTO2 shipped with a X800XL BIOS and the fan always ran at 54% when idle. Of course the fan speed goes up as the GPU gets hotter. I just flashed my card with the X850XT BIOS since I just installed the ATI Silencer Rev5 and now fan speeds are all different.

Your fan running at 16%, I would guess it was a cold day? Do you remember your GPU temps when it was running at 16%? Either way, I don't see how running your fan at 54% will wear it out.

As for the reset function, here's what it says on the ATI Tool documentation:

" Clicking on reset loads a temperature vs. speed table which is hardcoded into ATITool onto the temp. chip. The table is not loaded from the video card BIOS, since it is unknown where and how the information is encoded there."

What I understand from that is, the fan settings doesn't actually "reset". ATITool sends it's own fan settings into your card. I wouldn't use these settings as they seem messed up :wtf: but once you reboot, it will default to your original cards fan setting as long as you keep the "override fan settings" unchecked.

Really not sure on that one. It read 16% but I didn't turn on the temperature sensor until after I forced the fan to 100% to find my max core/mem settings.

Maybe the reading is a bit buggy but when I really noticed it was coming into the living room in the morning and noticing my computer making more fan noise than it usually does when I wake up. I loaded up ATI-Tool and checked and it said the fan was at 30-something%. When I opened up the case, it seemed like it was going pretty fast. Putting my hand under the card felt like it was putting out as much force as a blow dryer on the low power setting. That was after sitting on the desktop overnight, and the temperature was reading 43 degrees. Room temperature was 68 degrees F which would be about 20 C.:confused:

Maybe I'm just imagining things and being paranoid after tweaking with my fan. I installed the beta now and I haven't messed around with it too much.

Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case Silverstone Raven 2
That does seem odd. Though if I remember correctly, there have been reports of ATI Tool not detecting the fan speeds accurately. The reason your fan speed was so high at 43C is beyond me.

From what I understand though, is that ATI Tool can't alter the BIOS default fan speeds, which is why ATI Tool needs to be started at every reboot in order for your custom settings to be applied. So you shouldn't need to worry about ATI Tool messing up your fan.

I don't know if this helps but, whenever I turn on my computer, my fan speed always sounds like it's at 100%, then slows down after about 5-8 seconds.