1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan direction for alternate fan is 8800 any different?; suggestion

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by newconroer, Jun 22, 2007.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Fan setup:

I have 1 rear 120 exhaust, 1 lower front 120 internal for front to back flow.
    I have added a blowduct for the top side panel vent, and I've mounted a 120 over the bottom side panel vent, to pull air out and place it directly on the GPU.

I wondered if I should reverse the direction and exhaust. I noticed that the exhaust from the fan on the GPU is being thrust to the bottom of the case, then must be rising (naturally) and being exhausted by the rear 120 (hopefully). Putting any cooling on the card in general is helpful, but being that 8800s get quite hot, is air pressure towards the exhausted pressure from the 8800 fan increasing ambient temperature? Ambience seems to be quite a factor. Most noticeably you see it when you simply remove the side panel(S). This also made me question the direction of pressure. If the blowduct at top is helping to remove exhaustion from the CPU fan, then would it be best to do the same for the GPU? I could be creating an air short circuit by falling into some brownian motion with the blowduct and side fan being so close together.

I know some people mix it up a bit different, once they've followed the front in, rear out setup. I will take it off and reverse it, but ideas welcome.

2. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you only have one fan for intake?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Technically yes. With the side fan pulling from out to in. I don't think anything but a direct DIRECT cooling on the GPU is going to make a difference, rather pulling out the air around it might. Be back in a bit, going to switch it around.

4. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    its very hard to make out what ur meaning, but I have 1 intake in the lower section of the case, to blow cool air in, and 2 exhaust to blow hot air out, in the upper part of the case.(hot air allways goes up)

Now that im thinking about it I might put intake below my gfx....
    (stupid MSI shit, for not including temp diode in my card)

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like to keep a balance. I have two front intake and two exhaust (rear and blowhole). I'm not a thermal physicist or whatever, but I figure a balance of intake/exhaust provides optimal airflow.

It's not so much about getting air in or out as it is getting the air to move fluidly. Three exhaust and one intake seems it would make the air swirl around and not leave efficiently.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Well stock front fans are not intake, their just "in" fans, so unless I pop the front panel off... or I could cut it..haven't got that far.

As for heat rising there's a misconception that you could use a top panel vent to exhaust while all other fans produced. Though that doesn't work. Science ftw!

Anyways, I did see a bit of temp drops by exhausting the air being displaced by the GPU fan.

My CPU is running two 3d applications and whatever else atm with both cores at 44/42c respectively. Gpu is 62-65c full load, 75% fan. They are not terrible temps, but I would like to bring each down by 10 or so.

Short of water cooling, don't know if I can.

7. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    The front fans aren't intake but they're in fans? :confused:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, unless you consider that usually small gap under the front panel as a source for intake, the front fan(S) are not pulling air from anywhere.

I suppose this thread should have been titled "how do you cool your 8800" or something to that effect.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007