• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan replacement for twin frozr II

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I had a slightly painful accident of getting my finger into my 6950's fan. I only got a little pain but my gpu cooler got the worse end. The fan blade broke. I tried gluing it but it wouldn't stay attached even without it spinning.

So I found a fan that is identical. Same size and shape.

The one on the left is the broken one. It has a blue pmw wire, a black ground, and a yellow 12V. The one on the right is the replacement. It has a black ground, and a red 12 volt.

If I could get a few tips on attaching it where the broken fan is... i would be extremely grateful.
I have read about people wiring this exact fan as a replacement for the broken fan. They attached the black wire to black wire and the red wire to the yellow wire. How would I do that? I have very little soldering experience but have a friend who has more.

-I know it will not be pmw controlled.
-I also don't have a place to attach it on my motherboard. Even if I did, that would still need tips on what to do with the wires from where I took off the fan.
-I have electrical tape

Last edited:
System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
How exactly did this occur?

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I was visualizing airflow in my case, planning for a second 6950. Was feeling to airflow in different places with my hand. Phone rang, looked up, finger went in.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
I broken fan blades off regular 120mm fans and put back on with super glue trick is you have to hold it for a bit for it to stick idk why but that's how gotten it to work but then but since this is a smaller and higher rpm idk you can try :p

Wife/kids broke my mini hdmi to hdmi adapter :(

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Hey, what sort of glue are you using? try super glue, or you could fuse it with a hot knife, ive done that before to fix plastics,[if u feel competent ] as the gentleman dom said, it must be put under pressure until it sets for few mins ,

the trouble may be that the "new" fan doesnt have the 3 mounting brackets on it like the original, i cant tell from the foto too blurry. They are normally mounted with 3 screws etc, you may be able to remove the plug off the broken fan and wire it too the new one ?

could you post clearer picture/s, ?

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I broken fan blades off regular 120mm fans and put back on with super glue trick is you have to hold it for a bit for it to stick idk why but that's how gotten it to work but then but since this is a smaller and higher rpm idk you can try :p

Wife/kids broke my mini hdmi to hdmi adapter :(
I used super glue. The surface was really irregular so I tried smoothing it out too. It still would not stick. I held it for over a minute.

Hey, what sort of glue are you using? try super glue, or you could fuse it with a hot knife, ive done that before to fix plastics,[if u feel competent ] as the gentleman dom said, it must be put under pressure until it sets for few mins ,

the trouble may be that the "new" fan doesnt have the 3 mounting brackets on it like the original, i cant tell from the foto too blurry. They are normally mounted with 3 screws etc, you may be able to remove the plug off the broken fan and wire it too the new one ?

could you post clearer picture/s, ?

I have read about people wiring this exact fan as a replacement for the broken fan. They attached the black wire to black wire and the red wire to the yellow wire.

The brackets are not the same. I could zip tie them or glue them to the heatsink. I don't see that as a problem

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
The trick is to cut off the connector end of the old fan and then make your connections. Once you do that you have a working fan with the same connector as the old (so just plug it into the same spot). Really the most difficult part of this is going to be securing it in the same place as the old fan and there a lot of different ways you can do that, glue being one of the easiest.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
What size are the fans ?, http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/25/turbo-module.html?c=2182

Other from some thing like that zip ties come to mind maybe with some of AC's open designed fans although you would have to take any peice of plastic around the cooler but thinking you might actually get better cooling in the end.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
What size are the fans ?, http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/25/turbo-module.html?c=2182

Other from some thing like that zip ties come to mind maybe with some of AC's open designed fans although you would have to take any peice of plastic around the cooler but thinking you might actually get better cooling in the end.

80mm fans. The fan link you gave me would work. I didn't see it till after I bought the replacement fan shown on the right in the picture. I didn't state I already had the replacement fan. Sorry

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
i have attached the fins on my amd fans lots of times with glue. use super glue. but before that clean that are with alcohol. then let it to dry for a couple of days.

i poked my finger in the fan when it was at 6000rpm. lol.. it hurt, and my finger had a deep cut :(

anyways its still stuck and spins nicely even at 6000rpm.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
In regard to attaching the wires.

Strip a bit on each side, twist together fold it down tape it up.

Not pretty but works.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
The fan on the right in the picture replaced the new fan. It works. Even has mildly better cooling at full bore. The remaining pmw fan clicks sometimes, I believe, from the new fan taking more voltage. Otherwise I am happy with my cheap repair. Should of taken a picture.

welvis

Where did you find those fans? I've been looking around and can't find any

On to the OP's question.

1) Slice the wires from the old fan as close as possible to the fan. This should give you a connector that will plug into the card, with a maximum amount of wire to work with.
2) Slice the wires from the new fan as close as possible to the connector. You will end up with a fan that has a maximum amount of wire to work with.
3) Strip about half an inch (1cm) from the two wires from the new fan, and the same amount from the two wires you will use from the connector. Leave the third wire's insulation intact (you don't need it, but keep it in case you get a PWM capable replacement in the future).
4) Solder time. Before moving on make sure to get the iron heated up, and take all safety precautions. Never solder something that is connected to a live circuit!
A) If you have heatshrink tube slide it onto the wires before making the mechanical connection.
B) Lay the wires you want to solder parallel to one another, so the stripped sections overlap.
C) Twist the stripped sections into a helix, forming a strong mechanical bond. Remember, tighter the better.
D) Heat the solder joint, that you twisted into a helix, with the soldering iron. Tap the joint with the solder, until the joint is hot enough to melt the solder, and wick it into the helix to form a good electrical bond.
E) Allow solder joint to cool, performing the same process on the other wire.
F) Once cooled, cover the solder joint with either the heatshrink tube, or a tightly wound covering of electrical tape.
G) Test the wires to make sure you didn't create any bridges with your solder, then you should test the wires in operation.

As a note, since you obviously don't have much experience:
No PWM = no speed control = fans run at 100% speed all of the time. This may get noisy.
Plastics require epoxy to bond them. Super glue and the like aren't the same.
Fans spin very fast. Minor vibrations could therefore rip apart whatever joint compound you use to "repair" the fan.
Assuming the fan has an even number of blades why not rip off that blade, and the blade across from it, to get a balanced fan?

Biggest question: Why not use the fan head on your replacement on the original PWM fan? The electronic controls are all still good, so why not just replace the damaged component?

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
On to the OP's question.

1) Slice the wires from the old fan as close as possible to the fan. This should give you a connector that will plug into the card, with a maximum amount of wire to work with.
2) Slice the wires from the new fan as close as possible to the connector. You will end up with a fan that has a maximum amount of wire to work with.
3) Strip about half an inch (1cm) from the two wires from the new fan, and the same amount from the two wires you will use from the connector. Leave the third wire's insulation intact (you don't need it, but keep it in case you get a PWM capable replacement in the future).
4) Solder time. Before moving on make sure to get the iron heated up, and take all safety precautions. Never solder something that is connected to a live circuit!
A) If you have heatshrink tube slide it onto the wires before making the mechanical connection.
B) Lay the wires you want to solder parallel to one another, so the stripped sections overlap.
C) Twist the stripped sections into a helix, forming a strong mechanical bond. Remember, tighter the better.
D) Heat the solder joint, that you twisted into a helix, with the soldering iron. Tap the joint with the solder, until the joint is hot enough to melt the solder, and wick it into the helix to form a good electrical bond.
E) Allow solder joint to cool, performing the same process on the other wire.
F) Once cooled, cover the solder joint with either the heatshrink tube, or a tightly wound covering of electrical tape.
G) Test the wires to make sure you didn't create any bridges with your solder, then you should test the wires in operation.

As a note, since you obviously don't have much experience:
No PWM = no speed control = fans run at 100% speed all of the time. This may get noisy.
Plastics require epoxy to bond them. Super glue and the like aren't the same.
Fans spin very fast. Minor vibrations could therefore rip apart whatever joint compound you use to "repair" the fan.
Assuming the fan has an even number of blades why not rip off that blade, and the blade across from it, to get a balanced fan?

Biggest question: Why not use the fan head on your replacement on the original PWM fan? The electronic controls are all still good, so why not just replace the damaged component?

Thank you. Although this is late and irrelvant to me now, I hope this helps someone else. This is exactly what I was looking for back then, and I wish you could of told me this. That is a good question. I wish I did just try to replace the head instead of replacing the fan.