• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel

MikeVictor

I got my Fanatec Porsche 911 Wheel at lunchtime today

The Fanatec Porsche 911 wheel set arrived via DHL today.

Set it up as per the instructions provided in a .pdf manaul on the thumb drive provided.

Didn't have much time, on my lunch break.

Got to the point of entering GPL and was not able to use the wheel. Tried to calibrate it within GPL, but GPL did not recognize it..yet. I probably need to make some adjustments to my game input device hardware manager and perhaps from within GPL to get it to work. Will try that after work tonight.

The box arrived undamaged, and all the parts were in the box. Put it together, but having some trouble getting the lap top wings firmly afixed, need to work that some more later. Not sure what I did wrong, I've tightened it up and followed the instructions.. I suspect I missed something or need to tighten more. Anyone with experience with this yet.

The doggle seems to be working, it flashed when I pushed the button on it and went off after a while when I went through the steps to get it to communicate with the wheel and then the pedals, seems OK, not sure yet till I get it working in GPL or GTR which I also have.

Back to work, more later,

Mike

MikeVictor

I have sucessfully used the Fanatec Wheel in GPL and GTR2 so far including the use of GPL Shift.

At first I was a bit concerned about the wireless connnection, but I think one just has to make sure there are no metal or electronic items between the wireless doggle and the pedals or wheel and of course there might be a problem with signals in the area that could interfere with the wireless connectivity. But the wireless aspect of it seems to work well.

The wheel is very nicely done, I like it a lot. However, the cable connectors on the power cable used to hook up the pedals (if you don't use batteries) are not as firmly connected as I would wish them to be. If you use the lap wings, the wheel can mover around a bit and work the connetor loose. Same is true of the connector to the pedals, if you move them some during heavy use, the connector may come loose a bit. If you use batteries, then no problem. If the wheel is clamped to at table and the pedals are afixed to something, this should not be an issue. Regarding connectors, the prevously reported spark that occurs when plugging in the wheel to the power line still happens, but not to the point that their is any danger that I can see. A minor thing if you don't unplug it much which I will not be doing. So the wheel gets a good grade from me, but the cable connectors are...satisfactory, needs some improvement. (not an issue when using batteries which is the primary intention of this product to begin with..I am using batteries all lthe time now, will only use the cable as a back up).

The illuminated numbers help when configuring buttons, like in GPL Shift and all games.

The Pedals are very nice I think and with the added steel plate and rubber mat under them, they do not move much at all if any, less than my MOMO pedals I think. However the MOMO has a flip down carpet grabber that works very well..on carpet. That would be a nice improvement as most people have carpet.

The only issue I have with the pedals is mostly due to my own personal desire, and that is to have about 25% less pressure needed for the brake pedal. I am used to the MOMO pedals that require light pressure for the brake and throttle pedals. I am used to using mostly my big toe to input very light braking changes. I can't do that as easily with these new pedals as more pressure is needed and my left foot just isn't calibrated yet. Perhaps with some experience, I will get used to it. I understand that the pedals are supposed to be more realistic than other wheel/pedal sets. This may be more of a personal taste critque. The pedals are excellent without the issues I saw posted about them before...but I do wish I could use my big toe to finesse the brakes like I used to..maybe with some practice.

I did use the shifter buttons on the back of the wheel and the 7 gear shifter as well. both worked just fine. If you use the lap wings instead of fixing the wheel to a table, then the two shifter buttons on the wheel will probably work best for you. This is because using the shifter tends to move the wheel around a bit though I was able to use it like this. I've never used a shifter, but I liked it. One must get used to steering with one hand while shifting though, and that can be a lot. I will probably stick to the shifter "paddle" buttons on the back of the wheel as I will be mostly using the lap wings. But I found the shifter to work very well with very positive movement between gears, not sloppy at all, and firm enough so it seems more realistic, not like grabing a wet noodle and slinging it about like some shifters, so I have head. And I didn't feel that the shifter was moving about that much as I used it, it may be a bit stiffer than was reported on the beta version, not sure, or maybe i don't have big heavy paws like some beta testers.... ;-) And the clacking sound when shifting that some critized, I found to be very helpfull to hear and know that a solid shift was made without looking to see if it did. And with all that loud engine noise, wheels sqealling and such going on ( yeah baby!!) the sound is not too loud or distracting, infact I liked it and it was helpfull).

So, this is a much improved wheel set compared to the beta version IMHO and a good purchase, just be aware that the brake may be firmer than you are used to by design, more realistic. I would recommend the wheel at the going price.

Oh yes, the lap top wings go on very easy...if you read the friggin directions.... doah...

Mike

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
While wheels/pedals get better, the main issue is compatibility-interfacing to a customers desk or table or floor etc.

Without a sturdy solid frame, like a driving seat/housing, it's a bit rough trying to really make use of some of these products.

I'd like to see a company sell a chair, with a mountable steering wheel and pedals for a decent price. Because honestly, a couple of steel tubes and a seat(nothing fancy), is not that expensive.

MikeVictor

Fanatec

That is so true. Not everyones computer desk or lap is compatible with geting the best experience out of a wheel set.

One reason I like to use my lap is so the wheel be at a comfortable level and I do not have to reach upward above the desktop level to grasp the wheel which is unatural to do.

I could attach it to my desk, but the lap level is much more comfortable.

I'd be interested in buying/building some sort of structure to mount this on.

The fanatec wheel gets a green light from me at this point. Will be providing addtional comments as i gain experience with it and as I learn about it's reliablity and playability.

Regards,

Mike

MikeVictor

Fanatec Wheel Review update

I sent an email to their support desk asking if there was a way for me to lighten the brake pressure without violating the warranty. No, I expected that. So I won't be doing that for sure. I may look into it after the warrantey period if I have not become very good at braking with it the way it is now.

The support person told me via email that beta testers requested that the brakes be firmed up a bit, so they did that. And I admit, they do seem to be about what you'd expect in a real car, so they were right to do that so I have no complaint, just a personal preference. I seem to be getting a bit used to it now that I am practicing with the wheel.

Also, the support person told me that the Fanatec wheel brake pedal is actually less firm (easier to compress) than the Logitec G25. That being the case, then the Fanatec pedals must be easier to to make small changes in brake input and feel the difference via your big toe or whatever you brake with... ;-)

The more I use this wheel set, the more I like it. If I was a beta tester, I would jump on the opportunity to get it at half price and either sell my beta test version or keep it as a back up or "hanger queen".

In fact, I'd like some of that action, would like to be a beta tester for hardware and software like this.

So far, I've had little trouble with the wireless connection's reliability. Now I just plug in the doggle and after a few seconds, the pedals and wheel begin to work. Don't seem to have a problem with the wheel and pedals calibration while in GPL. And have experienced very very little EMI and then only for a couple seconds.

I have GTR2 and may get rFactor later so I can participate in all my groups races (LoPeN). I know it works well wtih GTR2 (which I am no good at).

I am probably going to mount the wheel on my keyboard tray on the PC desk to see how that works. Need to get back to work, more later.

Mike

Fanatec

Hi
There are a lot of news around the Porsche wheel on my blog at www.911wheel.com
Due to the great success of the community test for the Porsche 911 Turbo wheel we are now looking for Community Testers again for our new products:

- Clubsport Pedals for Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel: High-end pedals (at a reasonable price) made of aluminium and with superb sensors

- Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel for PC: Great performance and excellent value for your money

- Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel for Xbox360: Finally a decent choice for simracers on the Xbox360

- RennSport Wheel Stand: The perfect and simple solution to play without a table. Super solid and easy to stow away.
http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=220&lang=en

- RennSport Cockpit: Designed especially for the Porsche wheel

- Clubsport table clamp: Add-on for all Porsche wheels to make the shifter installation more sturdy and to adjust the angle of the wheel
http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=291&lang=en

Please register in the 911 Wheel Club and then fill out the registration form to participate. I am confident that we can repeat the great success of the Porsche 911 Turbo wheel community test and make better products for you.

Bye
Thomas

MikeVictor

Porsche 911 Turbo Pedals Tester?

I would like to be a tester for the pedals...

And would like to have a set actually...

Mike