• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Feature Request] Delay admin privilege requirement

wumpus42

Obligatory Thank You for this fantastic utility. I really despise how bloated "driver" packages have become. NVCleanstall is wonderful.

I've configured the Win10 computers in our house (1 Pro desktop, 1 Home desktop and 1 Home laptop) to have local, non-admin users to be used for "everyday" stuff and an admin user for use when needed. One of those non--admin users is normally logged in 24x7. When admin privileges are required, Windows prompts for the admin user's password. Works like a champ.

NVCleanstall immediately prompts for admin password/privileges. This seems to cause the NVCleanstall process to run as the admin user, which causes the "periodic check for updated driver" task to be installed under the admin user. And if I'm correct, the update checker only runs when that admin user logs in. We rarely login as the admin user. Which means the NVCleanstall update checker rarely runs.

Is there a way to delay the need for admin privileges until the actual driver install is spawned by NVCleanstall? This would allow the NVCleanstall checker task to be installed under the non-admin, local user and so be started up to check all the time as originally intended.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Let me check how far NVCleanstall can run without admin privileges. One potential issue I can see is that it has to query your hardware on the first screen, so it can pick the right driver for you.

Running the updater as non-privileged user should be possible though, problem is that it's the same exe, but I can work around that.