• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fedora hanging at boot

I installed Fedora on my work laptop because I'm thinking about switching from W7 to it - but I'm having an issue. I booted it a few times, got some stuff installed, all was 'good'...but I went to boot it and it hangs at the F. Through a bit of troubleshooting I saw that it appears to be hanging at ip6tables - however I cannot get it to stop. A mention was to try going and disabling it through the chkconfig but that didn't work. I could only find one thing that was ip6tables, and that was in usr/sbin and didn't let me do anything with it.

Another boot shows this:

Last edited:
To completely disable IPv6 in your system, all you have to do is save the following line in a file inside /etc/modprobe.d/ :
install ipv6 /bin/true

The above line means: whenever the system needs to load the ipv6 kernel module, it is forced to execute the command true instead of actually loading the module. Since /bin/true, does absolutely nothing, the module never gets loaded.

Again, it is required to reboot for the changes to take effect.

It is obvious that this is an aggressive method to disable kernel modules, but it guarantees that the module never gets loaded.

This is the recommended way to disable IPv6.

source

Tried that, put it in a file that was just called ipv6, still failing at ip6_tables. There is a sys/module/ip6_tables (and others), and I tried to get in there and rename some files and rename the folder to _old but nothing worked, even as root.

I just reinstalled, whatever. Really was hoping to have a better experience but so far it's meh.

Last edited:
Processor i7-9700
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) msi 1080
Storage Samsung SSD 850 pro 2TB+1tb hdd 7200rpm+ 1tb 970pro
Software Mageia 6 + Windows 10
Try Mageia 4 Kde, I have it from sometime...