• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Feedback on my new build

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 cache)
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB DDR3 800MHz (2 x 2GB)/unknown manufacterer?
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Storage Seagate Momentus 7200.2 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0
Display(s) "Generic PnP Monitor"? 1920x1200
Case FX Design with Copper Core Accent
Audio Device(s) Conexant High Def SmartAudio 221
Power Supply 9 Cell
Software OS: Windows Vista SP1 (64bit)
I'm sold! Where do I sign? <(**<)...(>**)>

Is all that the rest of the stuff I need to water cool???------\/

Water is easier than what people think it is. Maybe TEC isn't the way to go for you. You viod the warrenty on your motherboard when you go tec.

GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ATB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail $139.99
Has holes for water cooling, and the black ice will go right on the back on the case.
Danger Den DD12V-D5 Fixed Speed Pump $76.95

Danger Den Dual 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir : $31.95

Black Ice GTX240 $99.95

Now that rad I think will pull 800-1200 watts from a system of hear with max fans. It is around thatn that.
I have that rad and used to cool two 180Watt TECs with it.

Now you need to look at what kind of blocks you want. With a fan controller you can make the system kindda quite with water.

Is all that the rest of the stuff I need to water cool???------^

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
tubing, and the coolant.

Then the water blocks to what ever cpu/video car you get.

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
Where do you get the tubing & coolant from? Frozen?

CPU is (I'm pretty sure) the Xeon 3210. Where do you get that at.

The video card is under discussion again. As are the MB, PSU, RAM & HDs.

I am confused about what video card, PSU, RAM & if I should get a 10k for gaming. As for the motherboard; I didn't know if it was the right one for what we were doing?

BullGod

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laugh: Just stop it guys. Don't tell me now he's gonna go for watercooling?

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
Last edited:
Processor FX 8150 4.41Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600
Video Card(s) Diamond Multimedia HD7970 3GB
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 32" LED
Case Cooler Master Cosmos (new version)
Audio Device(s) Platronics 777
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition x64
Benchmark Scores Geekbench: 10,136 3DMark 11: P7792
this has turned into a nightmare... Honestly, my AMD x2 5600+ at 3480MHZ 1160DDR2 1160HT with an 8800GTX, dual Seagate 7200.10's serves gaming well, all which can be had for under $1000. and my memory bandwidth is well over 10K/MBPS read write and copy. AMD's are just cheaper. they are more bang for the buck CPU's. I honestly, don't see why you would sit at your PC for 3 hours, watching a damn movie. maybe the tv and couch.. but not a damn chair.. helll nooo. it sounds more like you want a high end HTPC which will run you well into the $3000+ range, and there is no need to have a $180 sound card, for mid range speakers and headset. Get the logitech z-5500's if you want high def sound. you're basically asking for the luxuries of a bentley in a ford. there is noooooooooooooooo reason to watch blu ray on your pc, when you should have a tv for that, at least that's what MOST people do..you're trying to step up from the sempron days into the quadcore's at over 3GHz days with no idea what you're getting into.. what games do you intend to play anyways?

Last edited:
System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Storage 2x120 SSD, (5x8tb)+(3x4tb) = 35 TB Z1 pool
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Case cooler master something i think
Audio Device(s) does anyone bother with anything but onboard?
Power Supply Whatever OCZ PC Powercooling became. 1200 modular setup
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
you can do like i do and hook up the computer to the TV, and the z5500 is a great choice!!!! I have it myself. If you were to get that the sound card wouldnt be to important anymore because the z5500 has a decoder in it.

Processor FX 8150 4.41Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600
Video Card(s) Diamond Multimedia HD7970 3GB
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 32" LED
Case Cooler Master Cosmos (new version)
Audio Device(s) Platronics 777
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition x64
Benchmark Scores Geekbench: 10,136 3DMark 11: P7792
honestly. if you want a computer to do all the things you are saying to do, and a list of games you intend to play. give me a $3000 budget, and I will show you a system to meet your needs.

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
this has turned into a nightmare... Honestly, my AMD x2 5600+ at 3480MHZ 1160DDR2 1160HT with an 8800GTX, dual Seagate 7200.10's serves gaming well, all which can be had for under $1000. and my memory bandwidth is well over 10K/MBPS read write and copy. AMD's are just cheaper. they are more bang for the buck CPU's. I honestly, don't see why you would sit at your PC for 3 hours, watching a damn movie. maybe the tv and couch.. but not a damn chair.. helll nooo. it sounds more like you want a high end HTPC which will run you well into the $3000+ range, and there is no need to have a $180 sound card, for mid range speakers and headset. Get the logitech z-5500's if you want high def sound. you're basically asking for the luxuries of a bentley in a ford. there is noooooooooooooooo reason to watch blu ray on your pc, when you should have a tv for that, at least that's what MOST people do..you're trying to step up from the sempron days into the quadcore's at over 3GHz days with no idea what you're getting into.. what games do you intend to play anyways?

I just want help dude. I don't know what I'm doing. I mean I know some about computers, but probably not half as much as you. We also probably have different preferences also. I would also like to explain my situation to you, so you know why I want the things I do. First, I live with my friends Grandmother in the lowest level of their house (it is a weird, staggered tri-level), basically like a basement. I do have a TV, but it is very crappy & the TV in the living room is her husband's--he had a stroke--and her new HDTV--which of course is hers--is either in use by her or my friend's brother. So, therefore, my entertainment is my computer. She graciously got me a computer for Christmas 2 years ago--the computer I am on now. I spend all my time on my computer--in a very comfortable, squishy armchair I might add--watching movies, playing games, surfing the internet, writing papers, living my life, etc. So, as you can see, I do a great deal with my computer. That is why I WANTed to make it an all around machine. Now, I have gotten my money, and I would like to start talking very seriously about my computer components. If you would like to help me I would appreciate the help. Also, I don't have much experience with building computers or the use of much computer components. The only computer I've ever know is this one.

On to what you suggested. The chip to my untrained eye looks good; however, everyone up to this point has convinced me to go Intel, so...that is some pretty impressive RAM freq. I hear that the D9s are the way to go for OCable RAM. I was thinking about not going the 10k HD anyway. I just heard that it was good for gaming. What is memory band width? I have also heard that if you want to OC, then Intels are the way to go, but just what I've heard. I have usually stay on my computer all the time in the winter. lol. I've sat at my computer for almost 2 days straight once playing WoW (not healthy). I don't think 3 hours (which is long for a movie) would affect me any. I basically do sit on a couch. This chair ROCKS! I'm never going back to a computer desk chair, EVA! HTPC? I could in fact spend $3000+ if I wanted to, but I don't. Well, I don't know about the speakers that much, but how is the headset mid-range? I have read reviews that say they are exquisite. I just want nice sound in my basement man! & the headset is for gaming that I need to speak to others/ late night movie watchin'. The z5500s sound good, but man that price! Do they have a built in sound card? I want to watch HD movies (I say that because I want to watch both HD DVDs & Blu Ray; I hear that HD DVDs are going out, but we have Netflix which is HD DVDs=free HD movies for me!) on my computer, because I don't have a TV to watch them on & I figure that I spend all my time on my computer anyway. I might as well get a great monitor to watch them on. I know I have no idea what I am doing, dude! Don't be so mean about it. I want to hopefully play Crysis. It looks Great! Bioshock also looks great. I play BF:2142 (which barely runs on my computer); I've played WoW, but I ran out of time. I'll probably play a little WoW on my friends account. Umm...my GF bought me a cheap game (because she loves me, but is tech illiterate) called Dungeon Lords. It's alright. I got hooked on games because of Runescape, lol. Then, I played Diablo & Diablo 2, Empire Earth, Age of Empires, WC2 & 3. I've never been that great at games, but I like to play them. I want to play CoD 4, which I played on my friend's Dell that he bought for 2.5K lol. It is a good computer, but I doubt that it was worth it. Well, I mean it does what he wants it to, but he payed too much for it.

honestly. if you want a computer to do all the things you are saying to do, and a list of games you intend to play. give me a $3000 budget, and I will show you a system to meet your needs.

I would rather not.

Last edited:

BullGod

Well ok dude, but you promise you top all this watercooling nonsense and endless new topics about different things? Just buy a fast damn computer. You won't be watercooling it anyway. I see you are willing to spend a lot of money. So my advice for you is. Stop thinking about quadcores and what not. Stop dreaming man. That q6600 chip is old already. Get the new e8400 cpu, it's the fastest cpu at a reasonable price, coupled with a brand new x48 motherboard, like the one from MSI plus a 8800GTS and you will be able to play all those games you listed, watch movies, whatever and you will have a future proof system. This is the last advice from me. I hope you follow it...

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
I hope this isn't your last bit of advice to me, but if it is I appreciate the help. Why wouldn't I go watercooling, though? I mean isn't it good for OCing. + they are telling me that it isn't that hard. & I looked at that E8400 & it is $220, which is a good price, but why would I go $220 for a dual core, if I could go a little less than $244 for a quad that can be OCed to Well over 3Ghz (~3.7, if my memory serves me)? I'm not finding an x48 N bridge motherboard. Where are they? I just want a MB that I can OC with well. I don't know what video card I need. Everyone keeps telling me this card & that one. How am I supposed to know which one to get?

I am making headway on what I want, however. Haven't you seen the 1st post. I have stuff that I am definitely getting on there.

BullGod

I hope this isn't your last bit of advice to me, but if it is I appreciate the help. Why wouldn't I go watercooling, though? I mean isn't it good for OCing. + they are telling me that it isn't that hard. & I looked at that E8400 & it is $220, which is a good price, but why would I go $220 for a dual core, if I could go a little less than $244 for a quad that can be OCed to Well over 3Ghz (~3.7, if my memory serves me)? I'm not finding an x48 N bridge motherboard. Where are they? I just want a MB that I can OC with well. I don't know what video card I need. Everyone keeps telling me this card & that one. How am I supposed to know which one to get?

I am making headway on what I want, however. Haven't you seen the 1st post. I have stuff that I am definitely getting on there.

Don't listen to that bs. Seting up a watercooling system is really hard to do, even for experienced system builders. The E8400 is a faster and newer processor than the q6600, and it has 6MB Lv2 cache, that's why. Why buy something that is a year old when you can buy the newest processor out there? It's default speed is 3.0 Ghz so you don't have to overclock it to get to that speed. However if you want to overclock it can easily reach 4Ghz+ on air alone and would obliterate an watercooled q6600. 90% percent of aplications out there don't know what to do with a quadcore dude. Just to give you an ideea, an overclocked q6600 at 2.8 is 9 times out of ten slover than a e6850 at 3.0 Ghz. So those extra cores don't give you anything. It's all about speed man. As for the x48 boards, they are not out yet but seeing how you go about this by the time you will buy a computer they will probably be old already... :)

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
lol okay what are you looking for ? like price range for each part would be easier to help and know your limit to cuz theres no x48 motherboard's out yet and I would wait and get the 45nm Q's some time in Feb should be ETA: February 18

and idk about those Speakers never liked Creative

why not some Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speaker

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
Don't listen to that bs. Seting up a watercooling system is really hard to do, even for experienced system builders. The E8400 is a faster and newer processor than the q6600, and it has 6MB Lv2 cache, that's why. Why buy something that is a year old when you can buy the newest processor out there? It's default speed is 3.0 Ghz so you don't have to overclock it to get to that speed. However if you want to overclock it can easily reach 4Ghz+ on air alone and would obliterate an watercooled q6600. 90% percent of aplications out there don't know what to do with a quadcore dude. Just to give you an ideea, an overclocked q6600 at 2.8 is 9 times out of ten slover than a e6850 at 3.0 Ghz. So those extra cores don't give you anything. It's all about speed man. As for the x48 boards, they are not out yet but seeing how you go about this by the time you will buy a computer they will probably be old already... :)

okay dont want to be rude but a Q is faster then a Dual core even if it has 6MB L2 and E6850 @ 3.85Ghz vs a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz the Q is faster in almost everything, and water cooling isnt hard if you take your time and learn from other ppls mistakes

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell

Okay, well, I don't want to do something that I can't do or figure out. That is just why I was figuring on going air, because I know I could do it (it is also your opinion that it is hard to do watercooling; not to demean your opinion, just that some--maybe just one, DaMulta--told me I could do it, and it was better). Also, you tell me it's all about speed & you can't utilize quad cores. While others tell me to get one (I'm thinking of a Xeon actually, not the Q6600; 1st post gets updated). LOL, I probably will be able to buy one by the time I figure out what I want.

If what you say is true--which some contradict what you are saying--then I will go dual. NP

lol okay what are you looking for ? like price range for each part would be easier to help and know your limit to cuz theres no x48 motherboard's out yet and I would wait and get the 45nm Q's some time in Feb should be ETA: February 18

and idk about those Speakers never liked Creative

why not some Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speaker

Well, I don't really have a price range for each part, but I was hoping to keep the build under or around 2k, but I am willing to go a bit higher for some good gains. 45nm Qs, hu? What about the Xeon quads? I guess those speakers look okay & everyone seems to like them, but I thought 7.1 was better for HD watchin'?

okay dont want to be rude but a Q is faster then a Dual core even if it has 6MB L2 and E6850 @ 3.85Ghz vs a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz the Q is faster in almost everything, and water cooling isnt hard if you take your time and learn from other ppls mistakes

SEE! SEE!! What am I supposed to do with you guys?

Last edited:

BullGod

Well first of all I wasn't talking about that high of an overclock. I just pointed out that the q6600 is slower under 3Ghz than the e6850. You can check that out. What you don't realise tho is the main reason why the q6600 is faster at higher speeds is exactly that extra memory space. As the chip goes faster the memory needs to feed it instructions faster too. Having tat extra memory allows it to instantly feed those instructions to the q6600 hence it moves faster at those speeds you mentioned. Now The e8400 is capable of reaching much higher frequencies , so those 6Mb will come in handy at 4Ghz+ speeds. I can't find a review yet but I bet that a e8400 at 4.4Ghs can destroy a q6600 at 3.8 not to mention at 3.6. So yeah I'm not just talking out of my arse here...

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
Well first of all I wasn't talking about that high of an overclock. I just pointed out that the q6600 is slower under 3Ghz than the e6850. You can check that out. What you don't realise tho is the main reason why the q6600 is faster at higher speeds is exactly that extra memory space. As the chip goes faster the memory needs to feed it instructions faster too. Having tat extra memory allows it to instantly feed those instructions to the q6600 hence it moves faster at those speeds you mentioned. Now The e8400 is capable of reaching much higher frequencies , so those 6Mb will come in handy at 4Ghz+ speeds. I can't find a review yet but I bet that a e8400 at 4.4Ghs can destroy a q6600 at 3.8 not to mention at 3.6. So yeah I'm not just talking out of my arse here...

Yeah, but @ what point are speed gains minimal? I mean you can't get faster than lightning; you can't get faster than instant.

BullGod

Yeah, but @ what point are speed gains minimal? I mean you can't get faster than lightning; you can't get faster than instant.

See Dom? You really think that someone with this mentality can pull off a watercooling rig? :laugh:

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
See Dom? You really think that someone with this mentality can pull off a watercooling rig? :laugh:

??? Umm...I guess I miss something in Physics. So, how do you get faster then instant?

calvary1980

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield L724A629 @ 3.8Ghz 423x9 1.47v
Motherboard Abit IP-35 Pro Beta 16.B04 (vDroop)
Cooling 6x Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, EK Multi Option 2 Port, dB-1 Compact, Swiftech MCR80, Swiftech Apogee GT
Memory 2x1 OCZ Flex XLC PC-9200 @ 5-5-5-18 1220 2.3v
Video Card(s) Inno3D Geforce 8800GTS 320
Storage Western Digital Raptor X 150
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 22"
Case Cooler Master RC-690
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1
Power Supply Thermaltake ToughPower 1000
regarding speakers there are only really 2 routes to go, Logitech Z-5500 or Razer Barracuda/Turtle Beach Ear Force anything in between is a waste of money.

For Water Cooling you either jump in and swim or dont, also do not buy a branded coolant you will regret it.

http://www.picsaway.com/view/w1-ab02395e64.jpg
http://www.picsaway.com/view/w2-6eb369dcf9.jpg
(Thanks to XS)

To make your own Coolant is easy you only need 3 things.

1 Gallon Jug of Distilled Water, 1 Bottle of Water Wetter, 1 Bottle of UV Dye (Optional)

you mix 80% distilled water to 10% water wetter to 10% uv dye, if you do not use a uv dye mix 90% of distilled water.

if you need any help setting up a loop i'll be happy to help.

- Christine

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
I've been hearing more z-5500s lately. It must mean something! The headsets look great, but which are better (the Turtle Beaches also have 4x surround sound headphones, which ones?)?

calvary1980

Cooling 6x Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, EK Multi Option 2 Port, dB-1 Compact, Swiftech MCR80, Swiftech Apogee GT
they are the best computer speakers, there are cheaper models like the X and G series or other brands like Creative or Altec but they are a waste of money and no where near the quality of the Z-5500.

i'm stumped on which heatset is better they both share common specifications but the Turtle Beach seem more prone to problems I think it comes down to wear and tear so I would choose the Razer Barracuda. I would recommend searching for reviews on both pairs before making a decision.

- Christine

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell
Okay, Thanks!

It doesn't matter that they are 5.1s?

calvary1980

Thermochill PA 120.3, Swiftech MCW60, D-Tek FuZion, Swiftech MCP655, EK-Multioption Reservoir 250 Rev 2

Supplies you will need.

1 Bottle Isopropyl 99%, 2 Toothbrushes, 2 Cans of Compressed Air, 1 Roll Paper Towel, 1 Pack Industrial Grade Velcro, 8 Stainless Steel Worm Drive Clamp, 10 feet 7/16 Tygon R-3603 Tubing, 1 Bottle Water Wetter, 1 Gallon Jug Distilled Water, 8 D-Tek High Flo Barbs, 1 Funnel, 1 4 Gram Tube Arctic Silver MX-2, 1 Roll Saran Wrap, 3x Yate Loon D12SH, 1 Tube Cutter.

I'm *pretty* sure thats all you need.

- Christine

Franklinwallbrown

System Name Gaming Lappy
Motherboard unknown?
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) 9800m GTS
Power Supply 9 Cell