• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Feel like a newbie again...

drokkon

What a great forum - full of valuable info, and I hope I can contribute too!

I've several dozen computers over the years, for myself and friends, and usually little problems pop up, but I'm always able to solve them.

This week I put together a brand new system for myself and helped another roommate do the same. Mine's working ok, but his is just crazy - thought I'd ask you all to help me brainstorm solutions.

First, the problems arise when we first install XP Home SP1 on a fresh format. From the beginning, it takes the load screen 15 to 25 or MORE passes of the little green thingy to start up windows - in other words, way too long for a brand new 3200+ Athlon 64 system.

Furthermore, the USB devices work weird from the beginning. Often, an attempt to plug into the front panel USB ports will short something and the system restarts (and the BIOS gets reset to an extent, I think). As far as other USB devices, the mouse, plugged into the back works about 1/2 the time after startup. Installing SP2 pretty much eliminates all USB functionality all together!

In addition to SP2 seeming to cause trouble, installing the ATI Catalyst drivers/programs seem to agitate things as well.

Any insight or help you can give me on these two issues would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some more info:

350W Power Supply
ASRock Dual939-Sata MB
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
2x 512MB DDR400 RAM (in dual-channel mode)
250GB Samsung 7200 IDE HDD
ATI Radeon 7200 AGP 32 MB RAM

There's also a second ATI PCI video adapter (Sapphire 7000 or something), 80GB HDD, and wireless network card that we have uninstalled in an effort to more effectively troubleshoot.

I've checked and double-checked all the connections to the motherboard and from the power supply. We've updated the BIOS, drivers, and installed all available windows update. We've reinstalled windows three times. I'm just at a loss - please help!

Thanks!

Last edited:

newmodder

System Name Gamer
Processor amd phenom quad core 9950 black edition
Motherboard msi ms-7309
Cooling 120mm front,120mm rear
Memory 2gigs ddr2 800
Video Card(s) BFG gtx 260 maxcore
Storage wd 160gig sata2 hd
Display(s) LG 20in widescreen
Case USP 100
Audio Device(s) onboard Logitech x-530 5.1 spkrs
Power Supply Antec Neo 550watt
Software windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
front usb maybe?

i would disconnect the front usb wires from the mobo and anything else that you dont need to boot windows.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Yeah, that and make sure that the mobo hasn't been grounded out on something inside the case, like a dropped screw or standoff left in place that wasn't needed.

System Name N/A
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z87X-D3H 64 BIT
Cooling CORSAIR H50 HYDRO SERIES
Memory PNY 32 GIGS
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator / INSIGNIA 55 INCH
Case Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) SOUNDMAX
Power Supply 650 W.
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T.5 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Keychron K8 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software WINDOWS 10 Pro
take that box apart and make sure everything is connected corectly and what I do is I use those washers that dont conduct electricity between the MB and the case not sure if everyone eles does this but I do cuz it gave me alot of problems like not booting up or being really slow to boot and getting BSOD..

drokkon

Thanks so much for your help, everyone! I've checked for shorts on the MB, and don't see any. Here's an update on other stuff I've tried:

I dropped an Antec TPII 550W power supply in there just to test. I had considered power as a problem earlier, but kind of ruled it out because there's very little in there right now: Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Graphics Card, HDD, and a CD Burner. In any case, it didn't change a thing - still a slow boot up, still USB issues.

I unplugged the CD burner that was in there, and it booted up amazingly fast. So there's the source of the problem. THEN I switched out the burner with another burner, then with an old CD-ROM drive - it was slow no matter WHAT was plugged in. So I tried to switch the IDE cable out, but it was still slow. Finally I removed the optical drive completely again and viola - it booted up quick.

So it sounds like... a BIOS setting? or a motherboard problem?

Thanks!

Teddy

Processor Athlon II X4 945 (AM3)
Motherboard MSI NF725GM-P43 micro
Cooling stock
Memory 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw (DDR3-1066)
Video Card(s) EVGA 9600GT
Storage Vertex 2 60GB SSD, WD 250GB Cavair
Display(s) Dual Asus 22"
Software Win7 (32 bit)
Does the IDE plug on the motherboard show any damage? (bent or misaligned pins) When you install a plug that could cause a ground or short. Also look for any cracks to the plug that you wouldn't see until inserting the cable.

mex

OK sounds a bit wierd!

OK diconected all the USB ports from the box to the MOBO

Then try to connect the ROM as a Primary slave. So from the primary IDE port on your Mobo you are using the same cable as the hdd.

If this doesnt fix your prob would say you are looking at the early stages of a Mother board fault and considering using your warranty. Hope its still valid as you flashed the BIOS.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
drokkon said:
T

So it sounds like... a BIOS setting? or a motherboard problem?

Thanks!

Teddy
80 pin cable right?

drokkon

Mex, thanks for your input - it actually went a long way to solving the problem.

So here's the deal with different combinations:

1. USB front panel plugged in, HDD primary 1, CD primary 2 - boots very very slowly
2. USB front panel plugged in, HDD primary 1, CD secondary 1 - still boots very slowly
3. USB front panel unplugged, HDD primary 1, CD secondary 1 - BOOTS FAST!
4. USB front panel unplugged, HDD primary 1, CD primary 2 - still boots slowly

So - if only combination 3 works, what does this mean? Does this imply a motherboard problem? I don't particularly want my CD on the same channel as my HDD, and I'd like to have my front panel USB work too.

Thanks again!

Teddy

mex

OK well that’s a good start.

OK well it sounds like the 2nd IDE channel is not very well.

I think you have a few options, either you take it to someone to further test or send it back as faulty.

Or you could just keep setup 3 and add another USB front panel to the computer that runs of a USB PCI card.
That’s a reasonable option as it is quick and cheep.

Or if you wanted to get really creative you could still buy the USB PCI card and change the connecters on your already existing USB ports on the case to fit the USB PCI card. Not even sure that is possible, not really my area but I can’t see why not.

Keep me posted.

drokkon

I thank all of you so much for your help and input! Turns out that the power supply wasn't the issue, nor was grounding, nor a bad MB. Just so you know for your own reference:

Our USB problem was never really a problem, it turns out. The front USB panel worked great, and I feel really stupid for not trying more than two devices. The mouse worked sporadically, but a new mouse fixed the problem. And my roommates Zen Touch just needed drivers. Sorry about that false alarm!

The slow boot problem was narrowed down to an optical drive, and we messed around with primary/secondary master/slave options with little success. After trying 3 CD burners and an older CD-ROM, we put in my 16x DVD writer. It worked. I still have NO idea why this is even an issue, but it is!

Any ideas?

Thanks again. Bye!

Teddy