• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fermi Prices dropped. What are you going to do??

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
well i mean it needed a change they used that same old installer for about like i dont know how long(A LONG ASS TIME) I like how they have the Clean Install Option. Ill still use driver sweeper though

Same here. I do like that option but I don't know if I trust it.... so I never used it. I guess I was just lazy and didn't want to have to uninstall the drives twice. :)

Plus I just trust my manually uninstall more.

But yes it did need one hell of an overhaul..... and I like it.... but I still see the similarities between ATI's and Nvidia's now.

Drivers for me have always been better with nvidia. and i like being able to force different options in specific games rather then forcing it for everything like AMD (its hard to say AMD now for graphics cards) Id probalby just get another 470 and sli them. thatll handle everything for a while

I would also say wait.... I mean the GTX 470 is one hell of a card but if you can get double the effect of your GTX 470 in let's say a 6970 with being less power hungry/no Micro stutter/ and less heat I personally would go for that. Especially since if you choose to go the Green route when their new stuff comes out.... it appears their new stuff will be more power hungry and have more heat then their current cards.

As far as the Control center.... with individual options.... couldn't you just use the game options?

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
I've actually had much less trouble with ati drivers than I've had with nvidia drivers. I was using sli w/ my nvidias but only solo on my ati card so that may be most of the reason but it's left me with staying on AMD's customer list until they are beaten convincingly by nvidia.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I've actually had much less trouble with ati drivers than I've had with nvidia drivers. I was using sli w/ my nvidias but only solo on my ati card so that may be most of the reason but it's left me with staying on AMD's customer list until they are beaten convincingly by nvidia.

I had problems with every ati driver other then 10.4 and 10.5. all the others would give me mass microstutter and hang ups at boot when i had my 5870

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
I had problems with every ati driver other then 10.4 and 10.5. all the others would give me mass microstutter and hang ups at boot when i had my 5870

Man ohh man... I loved me some 9.12 and some other 9.x editions. I will agree though that the 10.X? drivers have had some buggy versions to them.

I think they are adding too many options too quickly when they should be fixing old problems first before adding new ones or new options.

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)

That's so crazy how drivers can differentiate so much between systems. I've installed every single one that's released since I got my 5850 up to 10.7 w/o running driver sweep or anything and have had the drivers "crash" on me only once and that was right after I got rid of my gts 250's.

System Name Beast
Processor Core i7 10700K 4.5GHZ 24/7
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Cooling Master Liquid 240
Memory 32 gigs DDR4 3600Mhz Gskill RipJaws
Video Card(s) AMD Raedon 5700XT
Storage 1TB Samsung NVME, Western Digital 4TB storage
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" HD
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1000 Watt full modular
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
I've also had problems with both ATI and Nvidia, but i choose nvidia over AtI for several reasons.
1. I have less problems with nvidia than I have with ATI.
2. ATI drivers sux worse than Nvidia's do.
3. I fold 24/7 so nvidia is the best at doing that, but I still game also and have very few problems with my games and Nvidia.
4. I've owned alot of nvidia cards and push them to their limits on OC's and only had one of them DIE on me and it was a XFX so they replaced it for free. ATI's I've OC several of them and they seem to break alot easier and more often.
Its whatever your preference is, I'm not a fanboy of anything I just use what works for me and costs the least amount.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
I've also had problems with both ATI and Nvidia, but i choose nvidia over AtI for several reasons.
3. I fold 24/7 so nvidia is the best at doing that, but I still game also and have very few problems with my games and Nvidia.
4. I've owned alot of nvidia cards and push them to their limits on OC's and only had one of them DIE on me and it was a XFX so they replaced it for free. ATI's I've OC several of them and they seem to break alot easier and more often.
Its whatever your preference is, I'm not a fanboy of anything I just use what works for me and costs the least amount.

I completely agree. i also feel like nvidia cards benefit a lot more from overclocking

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm going to wait to see what's new in the next couple months. Nvidia can't be making too much money off of these cards at their currently awesome prices which leads me to believe they want to move some stock for a reason. I already had a 470 and didn't like it so much. I prefer my 5850.

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
I'm going to wait to see what's new in the next couple months. Nvidia can't be making too much money off of these cards at their currently awesome prices which leads me to believe they want to move some stock for a reason. I already had a 470 and didn't like it so much. I prefer my 5850.

The may have something up there sleeve other then a GTX485 and 580. I love how nvidia is always quiet about things till a week before they release it

Case Bitfenix Prodigy

See everything you just stated there with the exception of the "folding thing" because I don't fold.
Is the reason I stay with ATI more often then Nvidia. I switch every so often because you know the saying.... the grass is greener "or redder" on the other side depending.

But man o' man.... I will tell you I have not had as bad as drivers for any video card then the one's I experienced with my GTX 460's in a long time.

The only good thing they really did was improve the cards performance in benchmarking. Which is fun.... don't get me wrong I love to bench. But when your done with benching you got nothing else to do but game. If you can't use your cards to game after all the benching is done.... what good are they.

I had a bunch of slow down and micro stuttering.

But then again.... ask me again in a couple of weeks when I have an ATI driver problem and I might tell you a different story :) I will probably hate them then!

The may have something up there sleeve other then a GTX485 and 580. I love how nvidia is always quiet about things till a week before they release it

I would normally agree with you. Really I would.... but I think it's different this time. I think why they are so quiet is because they have nothing.

And really when they do speak it's only around the competitions release dates. It's like their grasping for something.
Like "Hey Hey guys don't forget about me(Nvidia)." "Sure we might of re branded a million times and over charged for years ... but you know we were just kidding about that.... this time we're serious about our cards we promise!"

I just really can't imagine a GF100 with all 512 cores unlocked be any better then what is released right now. Sure in terms of performance it will be.... but in terms of power and heat I think it would be possibly worse.

If nvidia wants to get a head these rounds I think they should take ATI's approach that was alive not to long ago.

Let's make some powerful cards for cheap and bomb the hell out of the mid to lower high level.
It worked for ATI during the 4800 series

But actually that is what they are doing... just drop the price like no tomorrow and hope to steal some business away that way. Which is just a great idea. Plus it's a win for everyone buying cards.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Nvidia is rarely quiet before releasing anything. They like touting their new hardware way earlier than when it is ready. They may have nothing new coming up, but they are also in the position where they are trailing their competitor, so they could be doing things differently this time.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I love the new price of the GTX470, it makes it very arrtractive from an enthusiasts point of view over say a 460 1gb, but I'm really hankering to see Nvidia's next move...

rumor is all over this GTX580 GF110 card, I just don't see why we aren't hearing about more GF104 cards, I feel that there is a heap of potential there in terms of the extra 48 sp's, much higher clockspeeds, and of course a dual GPU card.

stock 1gb GTX460 SLi already outperforms GTX480 by a good 10-20%, could you imagine a dual GPU GF104 card with 384sp's each and even modest clocks like 700-750 core? it would trump a 480 by a good 30+% imo. and I want to see that card.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
See everything you just stated there with the exception of the "folding thing" because I don't fold.
Is the reason I stay with ATI more often then Nvidia. I switch every so often because you know the saying.... the grass is greener "or redder" on the other side depending.

But man o' man.... I will tell you I have not had as bad as drivers for any video card then the one's I experienced with my GTX 460's in a long time.

The only good thing they really did was improve the cards performance in benchmarking. Which is fun.... don't get me wrong I love to bench. But when your done with benching you got nothing else to do but game. If you can't use your cards to game after all the benching is done.... what good are they.

I had a bunch of slow down and micro stuttering.

But then again.... ask me again in a couple of weeks when I have an ATI driver problem and I might tell you a different story :) I will probably hate them then!

I would normally agree with you. Really I would.... but I think it's different this time. I think why they are so quiet is because they have nothing.

And really when they do speak it's only around the competitions release dates. It's like their grasping for something.
Like "Hey Hey guys don't forget about me(Nvidia)." "Sure we might of re branded a million times and over charged for years ... but you know we were just kidding about that.... this time we're serious about our cards we promise!"

I just really can't imagine a GF100 with all 512 cores unlocked be any better then what is released right now. Sure in terms of performance it will be.... but in terms of power and heat I think it would be possibly worse.

If nvidia wants to get a head these rounds I think they should take ATI's approach that was alive not to long ago.

Let's make some powerful cards for cheap and bomb the hell out of the mid to lower high level.
It worked for ATI during the 4800 series

But actually that is what they are doing... just drop the price like no tomorrow and hope to steal some business away that way. Which is just a great idea. Plus it's a win for everyone buying cards.

a full 512sp fermi wont be released on the GF100. itll be on the GF110 (GTX580) even then the 580 may contain 576sp from what i read recently. They will probalby use what they learned with GF104(GTX460) and try to use that same knowledge with the mach daddy

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
I love the new price of the GTX470, it makes it very arrtractive from an enthusiasts point of view over say a 460 1gb, but I'm really hankering to see Nvidia's next move...

rumor is all over this GTX580 GF110 card, I just don't see why we aren't hearing about more GF104 cards, I feel that there is a heap of potential there in terms of the extra 48 sp's, much higher clockspeeds, and of course a dual GPU card.

stock 1gb GTX460 SLi already outperforms GTX480 by a good 10-20%, could you imagine a dual GPU GF104 card with 384sp's each and even modest clocks like 700-750 core? it would trump a 480 by a good 30+% imo. and I want to see that card.

itll trump the 480 and will also bring ati's HD69xx series some competition. also stick it on water and you will have some good ass overclocks on it to

didnt MSI have an engineering sample of one showed off and at that tech convention?????

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
a full 512sp fermi wont be released on the GF100. itll be on the GF110 (GTX580) even then the 580 may contain 576sp from what i read recently. They will probalby use what they learned with GF104(GTX460) and try to use that same knowledge with the mach daddy

Well if that's the case then Nvidia's got some hope there. ...... Oh chit yeah I remember reading that somewhere your right.

But if we take for example they also said that the GTX 580 might be 20% faster at best....it still wouldn't be enough power to compete against a 6970 (If ATI stays to it's normal performance gains meaning 2x5770's equal 1x5870 so 2x 6870's equal a 6970) That would be a cad that would have a vantage score of around 27k or so.

That means the GTX 580 would need more then 20% gain. Even if the GTX 580 some how can compete with a 6970.... it still wouldn't be able to catch the 6990.

So my thought still stands for me at least.... they should lower their prices and go to a price war with ATI.

I mean regardless I really don't care who has the crown in terms of performance (I'll probably will still buy both cards lol).... but I just don't really see Nvidia pulling it off this time that's all.

didnt MSI have an engineering sample of one showed off and at that tech convention?????

That was a duel GF100 chip not duel GF110 chip.... unless your talking about the duel GF104 chip I believe there was an example of one of those two.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3

if its a 576sp card, that means they are using the GF104 clusters of 48 sp's instead of 32, so the GTX580 would be either 576sp or 528sp, either way it will have less transistors and die size than GF100, and probably clock higher too.

itll trump the 480 and will also bring ati's HD69xx series some competition. also stick it on water and you will have some good ass overclocks on it to

:D

System Name Beast
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
I know my 480 is a bad ass card, I've owned several 5870, 5850, and 5770 and I think the 480 runs circles around those ati card's. I think their next move needs to be a dual chip card of some sort or maybe move on up to a 580 version either way it will give Ati a run for there money. nvidia likes to stay on top and be the king of GPU's

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I know my 480 is a bad ass card...

when they came out I said to myself, "I will have this card", and even though I'm restricted to my laptop for the next 9 months, I still know I'll lay my hands on one in the future.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Well if that's the case then Nvidia's got some hope there. ...... Oh chit yeah I remember reading that somewhere your right.

But if we take for example they also said that the GTX 580 might be 20% faster at best....it still wouldn't be enough power to compete against a 6970 (If ATI stays to it's normal performance gains meaning 2x5770's equal 1x5870 so 2x 6870's equal a 6970) That would be a cad that would have a vantage score of around 27k or so.

That means the GTX 580 would need more then 20% gain. Even if the GTX 580 some how can compete with a 6970.... it still wouldn't be able to catch the 6990.

So my thought still stands for me at least.... they should lower their prices and go to a price war with ATI.

I mean regardless I really don't care who has the crown in terms of performance (I'll probably will still buy both cards lol).... but I just don't really see Nvidia pulling it off this time that's all.

That was a duel GF100 chip not duel GF110 chip.... unless your talking about the duel GF104 chip I believe there was an example of one of those two.

It wasnt a GF100 or GF110. it was a GF104

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
I know my 480 is a bad ass card, I've owned several 5870, 5850, and 5770 and I think the 480 runs circles around those ati card's. I think their next move needs to be a dual chip card of some sort or maybe move on up to a 580 version either way it will give Ati a run for there money. nvidia likes to stay on top and be the king of GPU's

I've owned a GTX 480/2x GTX 470's/2xGTX 460's / 5870/ 2x5850's and now soon 2x 6870's

While the GTX 480 was better in terms of performance and blew the 5870 away in tessellation....I will say in terms of anything else but tessellation I didn't find it that much more of a difference.

Sure it was more performance.... but it was no 8800 series that's for sure.

As far as the other cards.... that's pretty much the same story all around. Tessellation was better and that's about it.

With the exception of the GTX 460's. Those cards in comparison to anything ATI had at the time were just amazing.
If nvidia can come up with that kind of amazement again.... I would say then they will be great standing!

It wasnt a GF100 or GF110. it was a GF104

Sorry wasn't sure which card you were talking about.... a couple of companies had a couple of duel chip cards on display. I know one was the GF100 duel card I think galaxy did that one.... and I knew that the other was the duel GF104.... I can't remember who had that one....but it was MSI evidently. I just wasn't sure which one you were referring too.

System Name Beast
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
when they came out I said to myself, "I will have this card", and even though I'm restricted to my laptop for the next 9 months, I still know I'll lay my hands on one in the future.
you will like it my friend, it's not what people say bad about it. I've had one for over a month and it's OC to 800/1600/1848 with 1.025 volts and it smokes all games out there now with ease. It doesn't run hot, when mine wasn't on water it stayed about mid 50's now on water it stays mid 40's. It is a power hog but that is the only thing I've found that people were right about.

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
I'll be replacing all my G92/G200 folding cards by year end. I'm hoping to see a price drop soon, as I currently need 5x GTX460's to meet my goal. I would love to see a GTX460 768mb vanilla for about $120-130 with no rebates.

:toast:

System Name Beast
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
I'll be replacing all my G92/G200 folding cards by year end. I'm hoping to see a price drop soon, as I currently need 5x GTX460's to meet my goal. I would love to see a GTX460 768mb vanilla for about $120-130 with no rebates.
Amen to that, it would help us folders out greatly.

Last edited:
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
you will like it my friend, it's not what people say bad about it. I've had one for over a month and it's OC to 800/1600/1848 with 1.025 volts and it smokes all games out there now with ease. It doesn't run hot, when mine wasn't on water it stayed about mid 50's now on water it stays mid 40's. It is a power hog but that is the only thing I've found that people were right about.

Do you have a reference version or blower version or do you have one with an after market cooler.

I found my EVGA GTX 480 reference card with the blower fan was very warm and power hungry. Although.... I have had some people who I work with have the same experience you have with the cards not running all that warm at all.

Just curious to see what the difference may have been between yours and mine.

Thing is too I had allot of airflow in my sniper case???? Maybe I just got a bad card?

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3

:toast:

joisus, whats your goal if you need 5x GTX 460's? can GTS450's not give the same PPD with an agressive shader OC?