• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Few questions regarding an RMA

System Name The Beast
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Custom Water Cooling
Memory 2x2Gb Gskill Ripjaw X @ 2133mhz 9-11-9-28 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6950 2Gb no unlock :-(
Storage 3x500Gb 1x80Gb
Display(s) LG W2486L 24" LED Backlit 1920x1080
Case Hiper custom Osiris mid tower
Power Supply Hi-power modular 900W
Software Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
I recently rma'd my asus commando mobo to scan computers.
Firstly i could not get over 480fsb which i was dissapointed with but was not my reason for rma.
The issues were: High pitch squealing noise (worse the higher the oc)
Anything over 400fsb resulted in harddrive not always being recognised, random freezing in bios, random crashes before booting to windows etc.
Not all fsb/mem ratios working.
Now i tested all my other components and there fine which lead me to believe it was the mobo.
At stock the board was fine apart from miner buzzing sound under load.
Scan have emailed me back saying they can't find any issues with the board and have had it under a 10 hour stress test and ran multiple boot loops with no issues, they also said the board made no sound at all.
Now this is no news to me as they would've ran it at stock.
This is my 1st rma and i didn't mention that i oc'd it, so can i tell them to run it oc'd and check again, as these boards were made for this, or would they frown upon me. I find it hard to believe anyone would buy a premium mobo just to run it at default.

I have to phone them back with a response before they send anything back to me so all help suggestions needed. thanks.

I recently rma'd my asus commando mobo to scan computers.
Firstly i could not get over 480fsb which i was dissapointed with but was not my reason for rma.
The issues were: High pitch squealing noise (worse the higher the oc)
Anything over 400fsb resulted in harddrive not always being recognised, random freezing in bios, random crashes before booting to windows etc.
Not all fsb/mem ratios working.
Now i tested all my other components and there fine which lead me to believe it was the mobo.
At stock the board was fine apart from miner buzzing sound under load.
Scan have emailed me back saying they can't find any issues with the board and have had it under a 10 hour stress test and ran multiple boot loops with no issues, they also said the board made no sound at all.
Now this is no news to me as they would've ran it at stock.
This is my 1st rma and i didn't mention that i oc'd it, so can i tell them to run it oc'd and check again, as these boards were made for this, or would they frown upon me. I find it hard to believe anyone would buy a premium mobo just to run it at default.

I have to phone them back with a response before they send anything back to me so all help suggestions needed. thanks.

As long as the board runs fine at the specified stock settings than your board is not broken, hence you cannot RMA it.
Thats like saying you burnt out your OCed CPU and want to return it for a new one or saying that your Micron D9 RAM will not OC beyond DDR2-800.
You cant do that.
They will only refund/return items if they do not work at the specified speeds or settings.

System Name The Beast
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Storage 3x500Gb 1x80Gb
Cheers for the quick reply.
Yeah that is what i feared, just wanted to check it out. I dont wnat to be one of those guys that just randomly rma's to get a better board and making life harder for people genuinly needing an rma.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
This squealing noise is reason enough.

Cheers for the quick reply.
Yeah that is what i feared, just wanted to check it out. I dont wnat to be one of those guys that just randomly rma's to get a better board and making life harder for people genuinly needing an rma.

Anytime.
I luckily only had to RMA one mobo.
The mobo was pretty much screwed up since sometimes it would Post and sometimes not Post.
RMAing is no fun for anyone, but it happens.
I am sorry that you can't OC it that well, but that is the risk we take sometimes.

System Name The Beast
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Storage 3x500Gb 1x80Gb
Not if they ran it and cannot find this problem.

This is what got me, they couldn't hear it. When oc'd sometimes the noise was unbearable but at default its still clearly audible under load. Would they have been working in a noisey environment and just couldn't hear it?
The commando thread over at xtreme systems says if there's any sort of buzzing sound to rma it. Googling around i see its a symptom alot of people have had, some worse than others, others not at all. But most people that have rma'd because of this issue have been warranted with one, so why cant they hear mine:banghead: :cry:

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I had a similar issue with a MSI K7 board and called tech support and they didn't think that noise was a defect. Eventually the board died just like a Squealing Pig. But luckily I had a instant exchange plan at my local store. They happily gave me a ASUS board which I love and working fine for 2 years now.

When they return the board and if it still has the noise just induce a 'STATIC' current and let it die!!!:D

This is what got me, they couldn't hear it. When oc'd sometimes the noise was unbearable but at default its still clearly audible under load. Would they have been working in a noisey environment and just couldn't hear it?
The commando thread over at xtreme systems says if there's any sort of buzzing sound to rma it. Googling around i see its a symptom alot of people have had, some worse than others, others not at all. But most people that have rma'd because of this issue have been warranted with one, so why cant they hear mine:banghead: :cry:

Call them back and tell them that was one of the reasons why they did it.
Also, make sure that ASUS did warranty them bc of this.
And if so let them know that info.