1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

finally getting a new comp.....need some help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dunnleed08, Mar 3, 2008.

1. dunnleed08 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's been awhile since i've last shopped for a new sys...so i've kinda fallen behind the times.....just have a few questions....gonna go with an intel based sys...i like to play games...but don't want to get into the dual graphics(sli or anything else...i just like to have one really nice graphics card)....however...should i decide to buy a nice gpu card and later get a physics card....do i simply need to buy a motherboard with 2 pci xpress slots (x16).....or does it have to be sli???.....(i'm a newbie).........also, if anybody has any good ideas about which hardware i should buy, any info would be muh appreciated...(my biggest concern now is to get a great motherboard that can handle a cheap cpu and ram now...then be upgraded to higher speeds later.....)....................thanks in advance

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Sh00t1st

Sh00t1st New Member

Thanks Received:
    how much do you have to work with? budget system would be amd chip x2 1.9 brisbane which is like 50 bucks and a 8800gs because its so damn cheap 130 at the egg, 2 gigs of ddr 2 at 800 mghz can also be found there for cheap 50 dollars, mobos around 100 and up for a very nice amd mobo. i wouldnt spend less than 80 dollars 90 to play it safe.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. dunnleed08 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well...

i've already got the case...psu...and hard drives...so all i really need is the mobo, cpu, ram, and a descent graphics card(for now anyways ).....looking at about 400 to 500 bucks........also..what is soo much better about ddr3 to ddr2..?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    DDR2 is cheaper right now

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128082

Got 45nm support out of the box, support for ddr3 for the future, and plenty of sata ports for your seemingly many hard drives.

Proc: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

You might want to get a cheap core 2 instead, and then get this or another 45nm in a couple weeks. Depends on your price workings and when your building.

Mem: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148

Should be solid ocer if your into that. If not, will provide plenty of ram at a solid speed.

VC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130328http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130328

That card is proving to be pretty solid. Once again though, new stuff is arriving in a few weeks which will offer more options and cheaper prices, so it kind of depends on what your going for. You don't need a physics card though.

Thats a little over $500 I think, I didn't add it up. You can certainly find cheaper memory, and you can go cheaper on the proc and vc or wait a few weeks before building. If you can wait a few weeks the price total of all of this will most like be down $50 or so, and there will be more options. Good Luck.:D

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. dunnleed08 New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh...

so alot of the new shit is coming out in just a month or so....?.....i think i will wait alittle then...thanks

....i like that mobo though...nice and simple

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea the rest of intel's 45 nm core 2s are supposed to be out sometime this month, as is most of nvidias 9xxx series. It would probably be wise to wait until the beginning of april, when we should have a pretty good idea of how these products are doing and the prices will be a bit lower hopefully.

Take a look at that mb and others like it though (p35) and that entire site actually. Newegg will be your best friend when it to computer hardware. The best prices and excellent shipping and customer service.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. MikeJeng

MikeJeng New Member

Thanks Received:
    8800GT's are really cheap now.

I found one for $180 USD.

I could SLI if I wanted to for $360

9. dunnleed08 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah

i've had great experiences with newegg before......i'm def. gonna wait alittle to see if those prices drop...thanks for the info

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    You can get that MOBO from www.clubit.com for $119. That's where I just got mine from.