1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Affordable IPv6 Router Begins To Be Available In The UK

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Nov 30, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    IPv6 routers have existed for some time now, but there are currently very few models available. These are also very expensive at over £100 / $156 approx. However, the Technicolor TG582n router promises to be the first home router that's affordably priced and suitable for the home market. It’s not quite on general sale yet, but is being provided as a "free with the service" router from business and techy-oriented Andrews & Arnold ISP – www.aaisp.net – preconfigured to work with their service straight out of the box. AAISP Director, Adrian Kennard had this to say about the new router:

[​IMG]

The sooner that countries migrate to IPv6 the better, because when IPv4 addresses run out, the internet will stop. Not really. It will mean however, that no new devices can come online without going through Network Address Translation (NAT) which has its own performance issues and caveats.

IPv4 depletion can be monitored at: ipv4depletion.com

Source: ISP Review

2. hhumas

Thanks Received:
    can I replace my old router which uses IPV4 with this or does it require new Line ...

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    WOW and still look expensive lol. It's 1/2( or close to ) a wage packet for a lot of people in the UK..

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Type "BE" is the cheapest way to go if you do any usage at all (ie 10+ GB)

40GB daytime (9/6) and 100GB for evenings and weekends per month ends up 56£

Prices seem steep to me

You are allowed 2 units of data usage for the base price, each additional unit is 3.90£. GB per Unit or GBpu specified here is daytime usage (9AM-6PM Mon-Fri), the rest is 6PM-9AM and weekends @ 50GB/unit. Ther percentages is the "coverage of the country"

BT20CN 100%: 20£ + 1.25GBpu
    BT21CN 50%: 20£ + 2.5GBpu
    BE 75%: 40.55£ + 10GBpu
    BT FTTC or FTTP: 30.25£ + 2.5GBpu

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  5. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    ddwrt/tomato/openwrt have all had ipv6 support for ages

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    DIR-655 has IPv6 support too. It's been out for many months now and is about $60 USD.

Full list of D-Link products with IPv6 support:
    So yes, far from the first and definitely not the most affordable. Maybe it's the first Technicolor offers but they're way behind the curve.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    technically the cheapest, it's free*! XD

* After 12 months of usage of overpriced internet

8. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    People are talking IPv6 compatible as being around a long time. Well, actually, IPv6 WAN at router then NAT IPv4 on LAN has been around a while. Getting IPv6 on LAN is a different beast. I for one won't and can't upgrade many legacy devices, so when IPv6 comes, I will have to NAT it to IPv4 on the LAN.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Amazon.co.uk has the DIR-655 for £59.90/$93.38, most likely £71.88/$112.06 with VAT.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could anyone summarize the benefits of this over the old IPv4 for us the non-Network experts ?

and can we just unplug our old IPv4 router and put this one and expect it to work straight away ?

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I've always said the UK is a developing country trying to look better than it is. We've had them routers here for some time too.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. qubit

Thanks Received:
    The UK is a what?!! :eek::eek: I challenge you to a duel - pick your sword! :laugh:

13. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    And Iv'e always said I could care less about what the muppets all over the EU think about the UK, let's see who the developing country is when the likes of Spain, Greece and Italy bring down that shithouse that is the EU edit just noticed your from Sweden, well we started the industrial revolution my friend, wtf have Sweden brought to the world apart from ABBA :roll:, perhaps next time keep your personal offensive remarks to yourself and stay OT ? :slap:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Sweden&word2=UK+ :rockout:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    IPv4 has 32-bits. IPv6 has 128-bits. Internet IPv4 addresses are depleting rapidly largely because of mobile devices. Once all IPv4 addresses are used, ISPs will have no option to expand their networks except to buy IPv6 addresses.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    Oh boy, if you only knew half of it, without Sweden there would be a lot of things your life would be without, here's a small list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Swedish_inventions

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    oh as if I care lol, you really felt the need to come and comment just to tell me that, do swedes also have no sense of humour cause it's obvious you didn't pick up the sarcasm from my post, I won the google fight so /argument ;) :roll:

17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That stuff whatevs man, but you really suck at building houses and plumbing. :laugh:

But yeah, on topic. Isn't the IPv4 pool empty by now? The reason ISP's in the west have been very very slow to adapt v6 is because they were given giant blocks of adresses to begin with. It's the same with universities as well. Anyone knows how it's working out in Asia? I'd imagine they need it more than people in the West does..

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Since when is >100£ affordable?

qubit and AsRock say thanks.
  19. robertc

Thanks Received:
    "Affordable" doesn't always mean it will work good. If it's cheap, but works like sh** and you end up ditching it and buying another router that works better, is that really a better deal? I'm afraid I have to agree with OneMoar on this, qubit. Just because a Reliant Robin is a cheap car doesn't mean you should go out and buy one. Anybody that really cares about ipv4 vs ipv6 is probably not going to just go out and buy this router just because it says it supports ipv6 out of the box, they are going to know a bit more about networking and can easily flash dd-wrt to a cheaper, better quality device themselves.

20. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    I own a IPv4 router from netgear. Anyway, a while back it said it needed to update and now IPv6 can be turned on! I love excellent service.

21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'm not surprised, as Netgear is a really good brand. :)