• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First AMD Game PC Revealed...

ChromeDome

System Name Super Budget Gamer Thing lol
Processor AMD 5600+ Windsor @3.0ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3N78-VM AM2/AM2+ Micro ATX
Cooling Thermaltake TR2-R1 Ultra Silence CPU heatsink+fan / 3 exhaust case fans
Memory 3 Gigs Kingston DDR2@800mhz
Video Card(s) PNY 8800GT 512mb OC'd 710/1740/950 - 178.24
Storage 2X 320 gig Seagate Barracuda's @7200rpm - SATA
Display(s) 22in Dell LCD 1680X1050 / 21.6in AOC LCD / Hauppauge TV Tuner
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA500D 500w
Software Vista, bby <3
Benchmark Scores yay it works! =]
....or maybe not?

idk i'm a little behind the curve on the latest things. i have heard of the "Spider' platform and some other things, and i know AMD acquired ATI. but i didn't really know AMD were going to package computers like this. they seem to have a graphics solution, and of course a processor solution. i guess that means they have mobo's, too:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/28/first-amd-game-pc-reviewed

according to another article i read it seems AMD has given up on the power / speed war with intel and are going more in a "complete solution" direction. IOW..."AMD Game!, AMD Office, and AMD Home Theater" PC's are perfectly viable as marketing gimmicks, but can it work?

us geeks who tear open cases and build things i have a feeling don't give a rats nest about any of this. but i would like to see AMD survive and compete in a different sort of way. if little Jimmy Newbie can go down to the local Best Buy and get himself an AMD GAME! machine (that works well for games), his mom an AMD Home PC and his dad an AMD Office PC, wouldn't that be attractive to most consumers who don't know the difference between a quad core and a p4?

i was at Walmart the other day and saw someone buy a pc with integrated graphics and a 3600+ for $700. they also have a pentium based dual core on sale (B2180, methinks) from HP for $850 :/

people buy these things, yeah. more people then we can imagine. and i doubt AMD makes much off the total transaction. but with a totally purpose built AMD machine right out of the box, might this be the "simplicity" niche many have been waiting for? people love things all tidy and laid out for them in tech. easy to understand. might this be just what AMD needs to stay alive in the market? screw the enthusiast market, i'm talking mass market....

so someone clue / fill me in on all this. is this the "future of AMD" or is the road coming to an end as many predict?

i like AMD i want them to stick around :toast: